Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire a success??

Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire a success??

I purchased by Crossfire in Aug '03, one of the first in the Denver area. I really like the car. I have had Porches, BMWs, Audis, and Corvettes, but have never had as many coments as I have with the Crossfire . I once had a guy ahead of me at a stoplight (red) get out of his car, look back at the Crossfire and give me a double thumbs up!! I was almost embarassed.
Even though I probably overpaid at full sticker, I still feel the car has great "Value". Maybe not the fastest on the street, but plenty of power for me.
I am curious if others feel this car is a success? I like having a unique car, but wonder why I don't see more on the street? I wonder if it will have the same fate as the Prowler?? That may affect our resale value ( like none? )

Old 01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Default Re: Crossfire a success??

Agreed on all points, I think the car is fantastic and enjoy driving every min with it. I just dont think its well advertised, when I purchased my Audi TT in 99 within a few months everyone knew what it was. With the crossfire (its been out now 18 months'ish) people still stop, look, stare and have no idea who makes it.

Maybe this is an advertising/chrysler issue (meaning people that do know about the car dont consider it just because its a chrysler). who knows, i love it though.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 PM

Well I think everyone knows where i stand on this. The crossfire isnt really considered sales success by DiamlerC. Car looks good. But lets be hontest there really isnt that big of a market for an exotic looking, expensive 2-seater with only so-so performance.

I think motortrend hit the "bullseye" when they said the Bottomline on the crossfire -- 50 Hp short of stardom.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Hey Bullseye,

Not sure of your age, but being an old f*rt at 53, the car has plenty of power for me! Even in Denver at a mile high, it pulls strong. Everytime I take a friend for a demo ( no, they are not all old f*rts ) I accelerate hard through 1st and 2nd ( autostick). Then I tell them about all the reviews of " underpowered", and they look at me funny
To each his own, but I'm very happy!!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

I have had a lot of nice cars but nothing gets the stares and comments that I do with the Xfire. Without a crystal ball, I would say that the future of the Xfire may very well be that of the Prowler. Try to find a used Prowler, they are still holding their value pretty good here. I just hope that they last long enough to get the after market speed companies to step up to the plate with some goodies. When that happens, it's OK with me if they stop making them, cause I already got one!
If DC produced an after market power upgrade of about only 50 hp and sold it, (at cost) to all us Xfire owners, then when it ate a few muscle cars, it would greatly improve the chances of the Xfire being built for a long time! (not that it is too shabby now!) Just dreaming!!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brittt1
With the crossfire (its been out now 18 months'ish) people still stop, look, stare and have no idea who makes it.
That's absolutely THE key feature, for me. I've had mine almost a year now, and people STILL ask me almost every time I take it out "what IS that?". And the "thumbs up" signs on the road still happen frequently. If I wanted something everyone knows, I'd have bought a Z. This car is UNIQUE, and that is it's appeal.

Part of me wants D/C to stop making the XF and have no 2006 models (concentrate on the Airflite!). The rarity factor, and there's been plenty of Mercedes SLK320's sold to be able to get major parts for a long while.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I think motortrend hit the "bullseye" when they said the Bottomline on the crossfire -- 50 Hp short of stardom.
it was C/D, IIRC.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 AM

I had absolutely no idea what a Crossfire was until I won mine. In doing some research after I got the news, it looks like Chrysler sold about 20,000 units for 2004. As a reference, they sold 140,000 Sebrings. I'm still not sure if it was Chrysler's plan to just keep it a niche market, or if the idea of a performance coupe from the company that brought us the Dart just never caught on. Either way, it does make them pretty unique. I just wish there was more demand to keep resale values up.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
it was C/D, IIRC.
Thanks wasnt sure who it was hence the think.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by drhrsh
Hey Bullseye,

Not sure of your age, but being an old f*rt at 53, the car has plenty of power for me! Even in Denver at a mile high, it pulls strong. Everytime I take a friend for a demo ( no, they are not all old f*rts ) I accelerate hard through 1st and 2nd ( autostick). Then I tell them about all the reviews of " underpowered", and they look at me funny
To each his own, but I'm very happy!!
I'm 21, but my father(50) who nor do I think you I would classify as "old f*rts" says its quite underpowered. Granted he is used to driving 540's. And I am use to driving high 12 second low 13 second cars. Not including my beaters my crossfire is the 3rd slowest car i owned. The slowest being a 2000 Honda Civic Si, 2nd slowest being 2004 Acura RSX Type S, Then the crossfire. Power is okay. But its all what you are use to. But this car would be borderline perfect if it had the 3.5 dohc in the new slk350. Or I'd be happy with an aftermarket or even the 2.4L turbo used in the srt-4/pt gt turbo.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a SLK55 today in Black on black ,and even though I knew he could beat the crap out of my XF in any type of race he didn't come close in Looks !And I'm glad he paid almost 2x the $$$s than me.It made my $$s spent, look better !

Old 01-19-2005, 09:56 AM

I was watching Meguiars Car Crazy yesterday and he was interviewing a car collector who specializes in classic cars. He had a black Crossfire coupe in his showroom. I think that's an indication of the kind of car this is.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the comapany that brought us the Dart also brought us the HEMI and the Viper... not bad credentials in the performance catagory...

Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Epyon

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
the comapany that brought us the Dart also brought us the HEMI and the Viper... not bad credentials in the performance catagory...
actually that is horriable performance, if you look at it the right way.

pushrod 2 valve detroit iron, not exactly performance, just muscle.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Epyon

the only thing that the Crossfire needs (what i think) is:

the 3.5 from the SLK 2nd gen
more than 270HP
same weight
Limitied slip differential
no more goddamn ball steering, has to be rack and pinion.

if the Crossfire has that, then i would love it to death (course the interior could use alittle work, like no plastic *****, should be brushed alumnimum)

Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon
the only thing that the Crossfire needs (what i think) is:

the 3.5 from the SLK 2nd gen
more than 270HP
same weight
Limitied slip differential
no more goddamn ball steering, has to be rack and pinion.

if the Crossfire has that, then i would love it to death (course the interior could use alittle work, like no plastic *****, should be brushed alumnimum)
If possible i would prefer the New Hemi and a T56 6 speed transmission.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Epyon

which hemi the 5.7 or the 6.1 ( we are getting the SRT-8 hemi soon, and we had a 5.7 300 hemi)

yea the tranny needs improvment too, but what i really would want would be a GETRAG tranny and a GETRAG limited slip, that would be very nice.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon
which hemi the 5.7 or the 6.1 ( we are getting the SRT-8 hemi soon, and we had a 5.7 300 hemi)

yea the tranny needs improvment too, but what i really would want would be a GETRAG tranny and a GETRAG limited slip, that would be very nice.
I;d be happy with the 5.7 340hp from a 300c/charger. what do you think the The t56 is ;-)

Old 01-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Epyon

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I;d be happy with the 5.7 340hp from a 300c/charger. what do you think the The t56 is ;-)
ah!

sorry i dont know too much about cars

Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Thumbs up Re: Crossfire a success??

Great conversation guys (and ladies) the Cross is nothing more than an icon for Chrysler, something to put some shine back on the brand and take them out of the days of the Cordoba and New Yorker. DC has huge plans for the brand and wants to make it into their domestic luxury marque in the next 5-7 years. With some of the products on-line and in development, they could just do with enough cash to throw at it. Yeah the Cross isn't perfect but taking a radical concept to production in 24 months is major accomplishment for any manufacturer. It is nothing more than a practice run at things to come. Having had my share of Jags, Benz, Audi, Infinity and BMW's, they all have their quirks–particularly when it comes to new products. Kudos to DC for having the "nads" to push the envelope a bit. Afterall what awesome new products has GM or Ford launched lately?...the LaCrosse, Freestyle...eewww.

Quick Reply: Crossfire a success??