Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cleaning up Front Wheel Brake Dust

Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning up Front Wheel Brake Dust

It's fun to take the X-Fire to the car wash, (though not at this temperature), but I've never been able to completely clean up the rims, in particular the front rims. Just wanted to check to see if everyone elses' front wheels have this break dust on them. I think the only way to completely clean them is to just a washcloth and scrub, since the wheel degreaser at the car wash only partially works. Any suggestions?

Old 01-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Default Re: Cleaning up Front Wheel Break Dust

Originally Posted by jlseagull
It's fun to take the X-Fire to the car wash, (though not at this temperature), but I've never been able to completely clean up the rims, in particular the front rims. Just wanted to check to see if everyone elses' front wheels have this break dust on them. I think the only way to completely clean them is to just a washcloth and scrub, since the wheel degreaser at the car wash only partially works. Any suggestions?
You answered your own question. Only other option is to buy different brake pads. I.E. Rotex Gold or Green Stuff

Old 01-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bullseye
You answered your own question. Only other option is to buy different brake pads. I.E. Rotex Gold or Green Stuff
Just wanted to see if this problem is typical....the rear wheels aren't usually that bad and can be cleaned with the degreaser, the front wheels need to be hand cleaned on my X-Fire, which is a bit of work.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"rotex gold" dust-free brake pads are the way to go! i have front & rear...95% less dust.

you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located I have an extra front set of Rotex .Just want what I paid.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the brake pads, just get Eagle One A-Z wheel cleaner...used by professional detailers and they all think it is one of the best. I use it myself, and I think it works great...it is a true spray on, hose off wheel-dust cleaning solution!!

Old 01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

I have sixteen thousand miles on mine and have never put a hose on my car !

Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Wow Dan, that is pretty impressive, but hard to believe. Did you ever have to wipe some excess brake dust off from time to time off the wheel?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

I hand wipe with meguires detail spray or water once a week !the wheels and the car I use just water and wipe dry.I use clean towels .and 1 gallon of water.never a hose .Takes about 15-20minutes.I use invisable glass cleaner after on glass and headlights.

Because the front factory pads are so dirty once you change them you'll notice your whole car stays CLEANER no black dust on the sides !So it much easier to wash !

Last edited by Dan Root; 01-20-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jlseagull
Short of changing the front pads (as mentioned)...

A good cleaning and a heavy coat (or two) of a hard paste wax will make them easier to clean.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, take them off one at a time and wax the whole rim, inside and out. It should just wipe off easily after that. Even water will work a whole lot better. I've done this twice in the year I've owned my car and it works wonders. I just think it's easier to spend a half hour doing this rather than buying and installing all new pads.. However when my pads go I will replace them with the Green Stuff.. but I'll still pull off the wheels for a wash and wax.. even better protection.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

The pads are easy as changing taking the wheels off !but you also don't get mucho brake dust on your car anymore the front are all you need ! my backs stay pretty clean with factory pads.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Is changing the pads really that easy to do? The main reason I still have not got the greenstuff pads is that I don't want someone else touching my car and screwing it up. I would like to do it myself but am worried that I will do it wrong and make the brakes unsafe.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Thumbs up Re: Cleaning up Front Wheel Break Dust

Originally Posted by MARK_UK
Is changing the pads really that easy to do? The main reason I still have not got the greenstuff pads is that I don't want someone else touching my car and screwing it up. I would like to do it myself but am worried that I will do it wrong and make the brakes unsafe.
"If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball"
Oops, sorry... I think If you can safely jackup your car, place a jack stand under it and then remove your wheel you can change your brake pads.

From DFWSBR's site:
Click Here for Instructions

Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

Wow it seems soo easy if only I can get the right tools.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by golfdude
Forget the brake pads, just get Eagle One A-Z wheel cleaner...used by professional detailers and they all think it is one of the best. I use it myself, and I think it works great...it is a true spray on, hose off wheel-dust cleaning solution!!
why waste all that time and repeat money on wheel cleaners. buy a set of front pads and be done with it. spend your extra time somewhere else.

if you had the dust-free pads you'd understand.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by andrew
why waste all that time and repeat money on wheel cleaners. buy a set of front pads and be done with it. spend your extra time somewhere else.

Ditto,ditto,ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by andrew

From what Dan Root says, people with dust-free pads STILL have to occassionally wipe off excess brake dust. Those with dust-free pads just have more time between each clean. I recommended getting a cleaning solution for the wheels because it eliminates the risk of getting clean towels dirty trying to wipe away access brake dust. In my opinion, the only reason why I don't like cleaning wheels is because they turn my towels black. Having the ability to spray away the brake dust with water and a cleaning solution lessens the risk of dirt towels because instead of wiping a dirty wheel, you are just drying off a dust-free wheel.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

the difference in dust is about 90% less so even if you like to rinse it instead of wiping or just dusting once a week go for it,but remember all that brake dust on the side of your car isn't there either!but if you're more interested in the towels use a hose,I don't like all the water coming out later thru the cap.and some water spots are harder than others.But I never use a hose on my car.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:41 PM

I don't understand why brake dust gets on the out side of the wheel anyway. Looks to me if the wheel designer would consider brake dust in his design the wheel could move clean air toward the brake and the dust to the othe direction instead of the face of the wheel. I haven't seen one wheel on the market that makes any attempt to do this. Looks like a functional wheel that helped cool the brakes would be a good thing??? I don't mean designing a wheel to look like four big noisey fans that would suck up HP but just move a little air.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up Front Wheel Brake Dust