Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Whistling Noise

Old 01-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Whistling Noise

Hi,

Since I purchased my car, when going at least 60 mph, I hear a whistling noise. Which seems to come from behind me on the drivers side. But...what is so odd, I only hear it, if I am on the gas. When I let up, the noise stops. Anyone else have this happening?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whistling Noise

Rear axle gear whine. Mine does it too at 70 mph or above only with power applied. Had the dealer listen. They said normal. (of course they did)

Old 01-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Thanks Knowit,

I listened again today, thinking maybe the word whistle, was not the sound. But it really is. So the dealer did nothing? It just seems odd, when you take your foot of the gas, it stops. Seems they should do something for that.

Thanks for the reply. Will sure have my dealer take a "fast" ride with me <bg>, see how the service guy likes that sound....and do nothing. I think Not!

Cruiser

Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knowit
Rear axle gear whine. Mine does it too at 70 mph or above only with power applied. Had the dealer listen. They said normal. (of course they did)
I'm sure glad your dealer told you that the sound was normal, I'll call my dealer tomorrow and order one! Unfortunately I don't have that "normal" sound. Should I complain?
It sure seems that the phrase "it's normal" is an easy answer to questions that should be answered "don't worry Sir, we'll do what ever it takes to find out what it is".

Anyone else have that normal sound?

Old 01-24-2005, 02:17 PM

I have a whistling too, just around 60mph and up. It sounded more like it was coming from the top though but I haven't figured out if it's worth taking it into the dealer for, but it sure is annoying...

Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 PM

The dealers around here love that saying. I took mine in four or more times for wind noise and the final answer was " Everything is within specs and if it continues it is charcterstic of the vehicle. " BS!!

Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular

I have it too.. It's not a whistling.. I'd say it's more of a whining noise.. but it's very very slight, really unnoticable really, and not annoying in any way. Just sounds like a normal noise to me. If yours is louder and interrupts your driving pleasure I'd have them take a look at it. Just say that you went for a ride in your friend at works Crossfire and his doesn't sound like it.. then they'll take you a little more seriously.. I always say stuff like that "Oh I compared it to my friends..".. rather than just seeming like a paranoid customer.

Dem0, as for wind noise TSB, all it is is a new piece.. theres really no adjustment or much they can do to it I don't believe.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Glad to hear that someone else hears the rear end (transmission) whine. At 70mph is what i would call loud. In my case its not necessarily when power is on or off, just in-between. adding gas or letting off makes it go away. At slower speeds you can hear it too, its just a lower tone, almost a groan at 30.

I've worked on cars all my life, and it doesn't sound like rear end gears, it sounds like the sun gear in the auto transmission to me... but i could be wrong. either way... its just a noise. Drive train warrantee would cover it i imagine.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Luckily I've had ZERO problems with my 04' coupe. *Knock on wood*

Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular

I don't have this problem with mine.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM

I don't consider this a "problem", just the nature of the beast. And even in that situation, I think maybe I'm being a little picky.

So I see from your tag line that you have a build number in the 16 thousand range? Am I to understand they made that many of them the first year? I wonder what the production numbers really are for this car? And where they went.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Forum Regular

No such problem. Tested today at mentioned speed, no strange sounds.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Folks:

Are those who are hearing the whistling noise Automatic Transmission cars or 6 Speeds?
I have never heard a whistling noise with my 6 speed and turned the radio off today on the turnpike and tried various speeds from 50 to 70 with no noise.
I tried it with the wing up and down as well... no difference.

Are you folks hearing the whistling noise OVER the sound of the radio? Is it that loud?

Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM

I have the same noise not the whistle it more like a "WHOOO" noise consistent when driving and an 40-60 mph range is when it really noticeable. I have a 6 speed and i hear it. I thought it came from the wing I just knew it was back there somewhere. It annoying without music but with radio I'm fine. Its not loud but an low annoying winding noise. Hope there will be a solution. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM

I have the same noise not the whistle it more liek a "WHOOO" noise consistant when driving and an 40-60mph range is when it really noticable. I have a 6 speed and i hear it. I thought it came from the wing I just knew it was back there somewheres. It annoying without music but with radio I'm fine. Its not loud but an low annoying winding noice. Hope there will be a solution thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Talking Re: Whistling Noise

Mine is fine. Perhaps it is whistling because it does not know the words?

Old 07-20-2005, 03:46 PM

That's Rich... I like that! ;-)

Old 07-21-2005, 12:26 AM

My is an automatic...Hubby says it's ring and pinion noise, or something within the pumpkin (3rd member). It changes with RPM and acceleration, and coasting...

Not taking it to the dealer yet, when I had the oil changed, (they made me wait for an appointment) so that their best guy could change it. He never set the computer back. hum.

Last edited by Cruiser; 07-21-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Thumbs down Re: Whistling Noise

My car has a major case of the whistles, as stated above it's most noticeable around 50-60 range but can be heard 80+ too. Mine's an auto-stick and mostly noticeable when the top is up and the mentioned speeds. I can hear it too with the top down at higher speeds but it's more of a sharp whistle, not as annoying as the other when the top is up and the radio is down so you can either think or have a conversation with someone.
The dealer said they'd look at it but would need the car for several or more days and I just couldn't bear to part with her that long...or think of some mechanic "cruising" around in it for "research" for that long.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

I was on the Mercedes boards doing some hunting and found a couple of SLK owners that had this exact same rear axle noise we are seeing. One guy took it to his dealer and they said OK, not normal and ordered and installed a new axle for him. Noise is gone. I will assume that since this is a Chrysler Product this noise is optional, so I am not going to tell my Five Finger Dealer about it because they will probably try to charge me extra for the option code WRA. (whiney rear axle).

Chrysler sux, I always knew that.

Now Mercedes sux too.

Quick Reply: Whistling Noise