Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

Just curious as my crossfire has been tolerable in the snow until today, where we had a 6 inch snow fall over night and got I stuck while leaving my subdivision. Although it was easy to get unstuck, its a pain to get going (impossible until you shut traction control off). What percentage of people store their crossfire for the winter? Anything that helps, like sand in the back? Michigan tends to have many sh*tty weather mornings like this one.

DavesX-fire

Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

My Crossfire is and (can't wait for summer)

We got over a foot of snow, I guess we were in the snow belt this time. I think all the school kids hated that it happened on the weekend!

Old 01-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

Driven allllll winter and we already had 3 blizzards! I wouldn't use the summer tires though, too dangerous. I have the Continentals and they will just get you by. So I'll wait until I wear them out and then it is summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Smile Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

My 03 has 2200 miles on it and it does not come out of the garage if it looks like rain let alone snow. I have a Venture Van that get me threw the white stuff, anyway I am retired and I bought my CF for nice sunny days.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:43 PM

Didn't purchase as an everyday car so it's been garaged and covered since December 1st. So mine hibernates. Having a tough Michigan winter!!

04 graphite 16515

Old 01-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

My XFire Roadster hibernates when there is a chance of rain or snow. I have the luxury of working from home 95% of the time. My Black Pearl has only seen rain twice thus far.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM

I drive mine almost every week at least one or two days. When I have driven it in the snow, it seems to handle good and in the rain it is great.

MI, whre do you come up with all of the smilies? You are too fun.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:23 PM
nb

We've now had three major snow falls here in the Cleveland, Ohio area, including about 8" yesterday -- and I have had no problems due to my Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. IMHO the Xfire is too hot lookin' to park in winter -- which seems to be forever around here! So snow's are they way to go. I would unhesitantly recommend a set of M3s on their own rims to anyone who wants to get around in deep snow. Nick

Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by nb
We've now had three major snow falls here in the Cleveland, Ohio area, including about 8" yesterday -- and I have had no problems due to my Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. IMHO the Xfire is too hot lookin' to park in winter -- which seems to be forever around here! So snow's are they way to go. I would unhesitantly recommend a set of M3s on their own rims to anyone who wants to get around in deep snow. Nick
What size M3s did you put on your Crossfire?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

We had some ice a few days ago, just a thin covering until lunchtime. Found that the back end would go a bit (TC off), and then snap back into line. Put four 25kg bags of artex plaster in the boot. Plenty of grip on the ice, but noticable slower.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Drive it every day. Except tomorrow when I'll take public transportation to work as it is supposed to snow 6" on top of the 30 we already got. Drove it today and yesterday, though!

I've got the Contis. I really need to put a big bag of kitty litter in the trunk.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:54 PM

Talk about anthropomorphication!! Bears hibernate, cars simply are left unused. I say, use it all winter. (Of course, it's my only car, so I really don't have a choice)

Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
nb

Crossfire snow tire sizes for ste7of1: I followed Tire Rack's recommendations.

That is, two 225/45VR17s for the front and two 255/45VR17s rear. I also bought four custom rims. Total damage was $1,536. This includes tire pressure sensors, balancing etc. You can save a lot of money by buying metal rims and using plastic hubcaps that don't look all that bad for winter use or search on eBay etc. I hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Question Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

nb...did you consider buting the M3s for the stock Xfire rim size? Obviously a 19" rear snow tire still has a lot of surface area, but I'm sure they are better than the Contis or Michellins. Just curious . I'm considering getitng those tires for the stock rims and leaving them on year around, the Michellins are just to sticky for 215hp...I'd like the rear tires to break free on demand.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 AM

I let it sit in the garage all winter. Pulled it out into the driveway to charge up the battery. About two inches of packed snow on the driveway prevented me from getting it back into the garage until I shoveled down to the blacktop. Of course I have summer tires; but the back end is light and it wanted to slide sideways under power.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:55 PM

I have owned mine for the past 2 winters. By the first week in December it is stored away in a garage until about April 1st. It could come out eariler, but I have waited until the state & towns clean up all the salt and sand dropped during the winter.

I am fortunate that I have full use of a company car, so the X-fire is not needed in the bad weather.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 PM

I live 20 minutes (walking) away from work and 5 minutes (traffic lights) by car.
When it snows hard I don't take my CF.
Otherwise I drive it. No hibernation for my baby.

~GyOm~

Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Wink Re: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?

Originally Posted by richardmyers
My 03 has 2200 miles on it and it does not come out of the garage if it looks like rain let alone snow. I have a Venture Van that get me threw the white stuff, anyway I am retired and I bought my CF for nice sunny days.
I wasn't aware that Crossfires were made in '03 !!! I have an '04 with 8500 miles on it. In Denver were fortunate to have lots of days inb the winter that you can drive it ( and lots that you can't ). I fully understand if its your primary car, but I have a Ford F-150 4x4 thats ready to go when the Crossfire needs a rest!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:59 PM

I think they were made in '03, but are '04's.
Since my xf is hybernating and there's lots of snow to be had here, I think I'll go snowmobiling this weekend before I get mad that the snow is gone, hehe!

Have a good weekend! BBMonday.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:38 PM

While I really miss driving it, my xfire is snugly settled in for the winter. Jeep GC is my ride for now.

Quick Reply: Poll: Who lets their crossfires hibernate for the winter?