CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   tinking in motor till car warms up completely Chrysler Crossfire (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/72126-tinking-motor-till-car-warms-up-completely-chrysler-crossfire.html)

rperry52@live.com 07-27-2015 06:27 AM

tinking in motor till car warms up completely Chrysler Crossfire

Had to replace Relay Control Module Assy. When I start the car sounds like a fast ticking noise like old lifters would. Once warmed up and driven a little noise stops. Any ideas ?? I've owned since new in 2004.
No problems till now 79,000 miles. 2004 Crossfire

Goldwing 07-31-2015 03:19 PM

Re: tinking in motor till car warms up completely Chrysler Crossfire

It probably did it before but you just noticed. If the car sits the oil drains out and it ticks for a few minutes until pressure fully lubes the lifters. Mine has always done it and many that I test drove also did it. There is a difference between a tick that goes away and a clatter that stays.

CapnRon 07-08-2018 03:35 PM

When was the last time you changed the water pump...? I can't hear yours obviously... but that description fits inline with how I would describe noise that ended up being the water pump when I thought it was the motor ticking. In essence... the water pump ticking the way it is all connected can indeed sound like the motor ticking. It also went away after driving it a bit it seemed. Was stoked to replace the water pump and realize it wasn't the motor. Just a thought.

pizzaguy 07-08-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by CapnRon (Post 908276)
When was the last time you changed the water pump...? I can't hear yours obviously... but that description fits inline with how I would describe noise that ended up being the water pump when I thought it was the motor ticking. In essence... the water pump ticking the way it is all connected can indeed sound like the motor ticking. It also went away after driving it a bit it seemed. Was stoked to replace the water pump and realize it wasn't the motor. Just a thought.

And a good thought.

My car has started an odd noise when cold. Sounds to me like a bad rod, or a rod running without oil. Once the water gets to about 180F, the engine sounds fine.

Yesterday, I put an oil pressure gauge on the car (which is how I messed my back up). The numbers I am seeing are consistent with the oil pressure numbers I saw on the two other Crossfires I've owned. So at least I know I don't need a new oil pump or oil pickup...

My next move:

Once my back heals,

1) I will start the car cold and observe the noise.

2) I will then shut the car off, take off the belt and restart the car.

3A) If the noise is still there, I know it is internal.
3B) If the noise is gone, I will put the belt back on and if the noise comes back, it's in a pulley or bearing outside the engine.

I suggest this as your next diagnostic step, Perry. Let us know what you find.

Nunyadam 07-08-2018 07:17 PM

piston slap.

onehundred80 07-09-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nunyadam (Post 908296)
piston slap.

That sounds like violence toward an engine.

pizzaguy 07-09-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nunyadam (Post 908296)
piston slap.

I googled that.

I can't imagine how my piston could have become "too small for the bore" but what I read does make it all make sense.

Just can't imagine how it ended up this way, so I remain intrigued but not yet convinced.

Nunyadam 07-09-2018 10:02 PM

well I read it here somewhere, but can't find the post.

Nunyadam 07-09-2018 10:05 PM

here it is.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-start-up.html

M111 engine noise search. which one does yours sound like?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...se&FORM=VQFRML

Ed Mahoney 02-12-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by rperry52@live.com (Post 843253)
Had to replace Relay Control Module Assy. When I start the car sounds like a fast ticking noise like old lifters would. Once warmed up and driven a little noise stops. Any ideas ?? I've owned since new in 2004.
No problems till now 79,000 miles. 2004 Crossfire

mine has been doing this every once in a while ticking is coming from dash board area I think not engine noise ? Can’t find out what it is either ! Anyone else out there with an idea ???

onehundred80 02-12-2019 10:06 AM

I have been tinking about this for ages, anyone got any toughts on it?��

ZERACER 02-12-2019 11:14 AM

Possibly leaves and sticks in the air fan area under the cowl. Does it get louder when you speed up the fan?

Ed Mahoney 02-14-2019 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 918984)
Possibly leaves and sticks in the air fan area under the cowl. Does it get louder when you speed up the fan?

no it’s a very loud ticking but never last long , not coming from fan or engine . Doesn’t happen all the time , just once in a while ! Never could track it down ! Just glad it only last maybe 10 to 15 seconds & not very often !

JSK 02-14-2019 12:18 PM

Possibly exhaust components heating up and expanding?