Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Old 12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

My 2005 Crossfire makes quite a lot of tappet noise on start-up from cold. The noise gradually goes away after about 5 mins (once warmed up) but is this noise normal on the 3.2 V6 engine? Its very noticeable even though my car only has only covered 34,000 miles and is regularly serviced (including oil change).

Any advice would be welcome.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Originally Posted by Ecosse_Cross
My 2005 Crossfire makes quite a lot of tappet noise on start-up from cold. The noise gradually goes away after about 5 mins (once warmed up) but is this noise normal on the 3.2 V6 engine? Its very noticeable even though my car only has only covered 34,000 miles and is regularly serviced (including oil change).

Moving to Hawaii might help...LOL.

Had similar problem, Oil change and driving it a little more helped.

Cheers.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all good in da hood... just pretend your driving a porsche. I still haven't figured it out myself nor have many MBZ mechanics. I've heard people say its related to the timing gear sprocket, it needs to get oiled before the noise goes away, then another theory where the silencing rubber coating on the sprocket has worn away. also if the oil sprayers to the sprocket gets plugged it will make the noise. Then there is the issue of tolerance in the cylinder bore, I know many late model chevy motors with piston slap issues until fully warmed up, none of which are harmful to the engines life. So I just live with it. it only last a couple seconds and then its gone. But I doubt it's related to the valve train.

Also there is a check valve on the driver's side compartment that make a loud ticking sound, completely normal.

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-09-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse_Cross

Here's some advice... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON ! OR if you ask another question without using the SEARCH BUTTON we will all ignore your future posts !!! OR we will make serious fun of you, and you'll feel like a MORON... The internet is not NEW, you might be, but the system is not... When you join any forum and have a question, you can use the SEARCH BUTTON !!! Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...earchid=305651
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...earchid=305657

Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is his first post go easy.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink Re: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Perhaps a mug of hot chocolate would be in order, not aspresso? Go easy!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
Here's some advice... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON ! OR if you ask another question without using the SEARCH BUTTON we will all ignore your future posts !!! OR we will make serious fun of you, and you'll feel like a MORON... The internet is not NEW, you might be, but the system is not... When you join any forum and have a question, you can use the SEARCH BUTTON !!! Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

Gez, get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular

I read your post and thought I should reply.
About 10 years ago I worked for a Chrysler dealership. One of the problems some motors with aluminum block encountered was a thing called piston slap.
This would occur at cold start up then quiet down once warm.
My understanding is that until the rings warmed and expanded, the piston was slapping within the cylinder.
This piston slap sounded more like a knock knock than the click click of a tappet.
A bent rod can increase the contact distance and cause tappet noise.
A motor which has been run low on oil and ran hot can develop noisy tappets among a list of other things.

I'm no mechanic...

Last edited by jaded1958cars; 12-10-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Since it has only 34k is the 3/36 warranty still good? If so get it into the dealer soon, so you can verify the existance of the problem before the warranty expires. There are may possibilities, from chain tensioners, to valve train to piston slap, none of which should be occuring at 34k. If you bought it used, did you have the factory warranty transferred?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM

all the m112 engines make this noise, check around the mbz forums, it's normal though it is a little too fast to sound like piston slap.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM

HDDP IS A JERK OFF. I TREAT MY DOG BETTER THAN YOU TREAT PEOPLE GET A LIFE A-HOLE.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

The funniest part about this is that the links you supplied do not work.

Searchid's are not kept for very long by the BB system, so the links die after a short while.

One of the hardest things for users to know to search is what keywords will quickly land them on the prior posts. What do you you search for when you don't know exactly what it is called that you are searching for?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out some of the things you suggested. The engine is peachy when warmed up and I've no other complaints but the cold tapping seems out of place on an engine which has been well maintained, fairly low mileage and hasn't been abused or raced.

As for HDDP's 'advice', well, we all have a bad day I guess. Put it down to male PMS! (only kidding). This was the first time I'd posted a thread on your site, and I don't use forums normally (I find the telephone usually works better and is quicker!), but it's cool. I'll definietly be back however so thanks again for helping a fellow Xfire enthusiast from across the pond.

Cheers,

Ecosse_Cross

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM

nvmd, already brought up.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM

You're an a******! How the hell did you get to become a moderator with an attitude like that. If that is the way you feel about newbies, then do the whole community a BIG favor and just don't say anything, just STFU! I mean wow, you might think it's funny, but that is absolutely no way to respond to someone's first post. As a moderator you should be fostering a welcoming environment for new folks, not going out of your way to be a troll. I know that are the all knowing GOD of the Crossfire, and believe that we should bow in reverence to your majesty, but seriously, GET OVER YOURSELF!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Forum Regular

Mine gets loud once and a while when it's cold. I just give it a good thrashing and it goes away for a while.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM

you have to understand where HDDP is coming from, he works on Hollywood sets with many arrogant rich bast@rds everyday, and lazy Union slobs, sooner or later it will turn the sweetest person into an A**hole.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
you have to understand where HDDP is coming from, he works on Hollywood sets with many arrogant rich bast@rds everyday, and lazy Union slobs, sooner or later it will turn the sweetest person into an A**hole.
Well, that last time I checked, this ain't Hollywood and the only Arrogant ******* around here is HDDP! Never take your personal problems to work with you. Never take your work problems home with you. If that is in fact the reason for his less than pleasant disposition...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Forum Regular

clicking ticking clatter
usually the lifters, when the oil reaches them.. pumped up the sound goes away ,
but 5 min time frame wow !

Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by huudoo
clicking ticking clatter
usually the lifters, when the oil reaches them.. pumped up the sound goes away ,
but 5 min time frame wow !
what lifters?

Quick Reply: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up