Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Mine had a loud tick not the normal benz sound, new engine is in and I hope to get it back in a few days...

Old 01-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by CoupeGirl
Mine had a loud tick not the normal benz sound, new engine is in and I hope to get it back in a few days...
So what ended up being the verdict on your tick to cause a Engine Replacement? I am going into the dealer on monday to have them listen to my tick, jackass kids in the dealer always try to give me a line cause I look young, little do they know I own a european repair shop, but if it is under warranty why should I get my hands dity?

Oh and HDDP needs to chill the frick out, grow up bro. Maybe he feels better about himself now, or feels like a cool guy, who knows what that guys problem is.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the tappet noise is not from the valve-train, there are a couple things that can make the noise, one is the little electric check valve on the drivers side, the exhaust manifold, timing chain sprocket is not getting oil from the oil sprayer, or the fuel injectors.

You could pick up an automotive stethoscope and trace it out.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out the possible causes you mentioned. Good news is that the faint/occasional smell of burning oil in the cabin has been cured - a gasket has been replaced under warranty (cam-cover vent gasket I think it was).

Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM

My 2005 with 15k miles and newly changed oil is now 'tapping' erratically at start up. After reading all threads...maybe overfilled? Or valve lifter clatter?
Is there any sort of additive to add to synthetic oil that may reduce this problem without ruining something or other? Old school there were 'valve noise reducers' available at cheapo auto stores.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gurudog
My 2005 with 15k miles and newly changed oil is now 'tapping' erratically at start up. After reading all threads...maybe overfilled? Or valve lifter clatter?
Is there any sort of additive to add to synthetic oil that may reduce this problem without ruining something or other? Old school there were 'valve noise reducers' available at cheapo auto stores.
Don't add any additives to the engine oil.
They usually do more harm than good.

You should double check the work that was done.

Check the oil filter housing to see if it's leaking.
That's the most common place for leaks on these cars.

Check the oil that was placed in the engine.
If you did the change yourself, you should know what the oil was you put in.
If you brought it to a shop, you will need to call them, and ask them what they put in your car.

After that, you will need to figure out if it really is the lifters making noise on your car, or if it is actually the fuel injectors you are hearing. They are very loud on these cars.

Typically, the lifters are only heard for about a second or two on a cold start, then they quiet down after they are pumped full of oil again. An engine stethoscope would be very helpful in tracking down where the noise is centered at.

BC,.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Don't add any additives to the engine oil.
They usually do more harm than good.

You should double check the work that was done.

Check the oil filter housing to see if it's leaking.
That's the most common place for leaks on these cars.

Check the oil that was placed in the engine.
If you did the change yourself, you should know what the oil was you put in.
If you brought it to a shop, you will need to call them, and ask them what they put in your car.

After that, you will need to figure out if it really is the lifters making noise on your car, or if it is actually the fuel injectors you are hearing. They are very loud on these cars.

Typically, the lifters are only heard for about a second or two on a cold start, then they quiet down after they are pumped full of oil again. An engine stethoscope would be very helpful in tracking down where the noise is centered at.

BC,.
Thanks for this...had a feeling additives not the way to go...CFforum much appreciated once again.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Although not really related, the search function at crossfire forum does not work. Many times I have searched like today, looking for "cold start die" and get one not very good match, but when I take same search to google I get many more answers from this site. Why does this sites search work so poorly?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdin
Although not really related, the search function at crossfire forum does not work. Many times I have searched like today, looking for "cold start die" and get one not very good match, but when I take same search to google I get many more answers from this site. Why does this sites search work so poorly?
I searched for the answer and got nothing.

It is not too good that's for sure, it just searches for words not phrases I think.
So it is best to use less words even one word if possible.

Cold and start got a lot of hits, adding die would get a lot of useless hits. So pick your words carefully.

Knowledge of former posts helps a lot but that is not much help to new users. I find that I can whittle down searches quite well if I can remember the original poster and then use one word. But I have read most posts since 2006 that interested me.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxdin
The phrase "cold start die" is a poor search term for the internal search engine. It is basically looking for that exact wording some place in the post and unless somebody used broken english its most likely not going to find it. Also its not going to rank the results to determine the best options, its just going to give you the closest match it can find to your phrase. Googles algorithm is far more advanced than what you are going to get from a built in forum search with basic indexing. Just use the built in google search bar at the top of the forums for non descript queries, that's what it is there for.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM

I'll try again, but for clarifications sake I did not use quotation marks, I learned not to do that except in certain situations.
Thanks Rick

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Forum Regular

Would you demonstrate how well search would have worked for this users issue.

Disregard. I just saw the dates.

Last edited by arejohn; 12-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular

I've been using the wrong one. Who new.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gurudog
HOLLY CRAP !!! You only have 15k on your 05, Last summer we hit 120k something on ours. Ours Tapes too at start-ups.

C-1.jpg

Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE]
My crossfire has about 150,000. It has a tick sound at startup, but goes away after about 2 minutes. If I drive it to work and it sits out in the sun all day, it does not make the ticking sound at startup. I tried using 2quart of Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil. It quites it down a lot. I will try the heavy duty oil stabilizer in the summer. I’m using the synthetic stuff now.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=JustinX;915685]
My crossfire has about 150,000. It has a tick sound at startup, but goes away after about 2 minutes. If I drive it to work and it sits out in the sun all day, it does not make the ticking sound at startup. I tried using 2quart of Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil. It quites it down a lot. I will try the heavy duty oil stabilizer in the summer. I’m using the synthetic stuff now.
A little clarification here. First, the thread is 6 years old. Two, the talk of lifters and tappets does not apply here. This engine has needle bearing rockers that ride directly on the overhead cams, no lifters, no tappets, it has a finish like a fine swiss watch. What they may be taking as tappet noise is probably the clearance between the rockers and cams.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 AM

[left][QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915693]
Originally Posted by JustinX

A little clarification here. First, the thread is 6 years old. Two, the talk of lifters and tappets does not apply here. This engine has needle bearing rockers that ride directly on the overhead cams, no lifters, no tappets, it has a finish like a fine swiss watch. What they may be taking as tappet noise is probably the clearance between the rockers and cams.

So you say that there are no hydraulic lifters? What about the ones in the rocker arms? If they fail then you can get noise due to excessive clearsnce.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=onehundred80;915719]
Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
So you say that there are no hydraulic lifters? What about the ones in the rocker arms? If they fail then you can get noise due to excessive clearsnce.
No, I don't think there are any. The rocker roller end rides on the cam, the other end contacts the valve stem. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

[QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915724]
Originally Posted by onehundred80
[left]

No, I don't think there are any. The rocker roller end rides on the cam, the other end contacts the valve stem. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes Jeff, there IS a Santa Claus, check out part #7 below .......

Old 12-03-2018, 03:55 PM

[left][QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915724]
Originally Posted by onehundred80

I thought I tactfully did correct you.
Swiss watch or not manufacturing tolerances and expansion due to heat cannot be avoided.

Quick Reply: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up