Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

To mod my XFIRE or buy the SRT-6

Old 02-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To mod my XFIRE or buy the SRT-6

Which is best? Modding my XFIRE to 410 HP with Reentech costing 23k just for the engine mod only. Or buying the SRT-6 will cost me also around 23k plus the trade in for 330 HP with new wheels and new trim plus the ugly wing. What's your 2 cents?

Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: To mod my XFIRE or buy the SRT-6

Well you get the 330HP with a warranty but the 410HP severly limits your entire drivetrain warranty.

Now completely disregarding the above comment; I'd go for the Crossfire upgrade, no ugly spoiler and just think everyone you smoke off the line will be like WTF!!! that was just a Crossfire!!!

Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven the SRT6 and it doesn't feel like 23k more sorry I'd save the money ,maybe buy a used Srt6 they'll drop like a rock soon.

between your choices I'd take the SRT6,but you might wait and see what happens next year.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:17 AM

You know all about you car by this point............or most of it anyway. I would vote modify the car you have, it will be more unique that way than just your run of the mill SRT6 ( althouth the SRT6 is prob going to end up more valuable because no one buys them ).

Old 02-05-2005, 03:31 AM
Forum Regular

I vote for the modifying your original especially if it is the 6 speed. They don't make it in a standard yet. Besides, at which point do you decide to keep what you got? Every year something new will come up and it will be the same as everyone elses. A modified one will be your special baby. IMO

Old 02-05-2005, 03:58 AM

another vote here for renntech. let me drive it to please. thatd be sweet.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:10 AM

Why not just buy and install a new SRT-6 engine? Bolts right in.

I spoke briefly with a Chrysler dealership about myself and a few others possibly buying several SRT-6 engines at once. The parts guy immediately offered 20% off, without any prodding from me. I'm positive 30% off can be gotten.

I think that would be just under $7,000 for a brand new SRT-6 engine with zero miles, all under factory warranty.

I'm guessing that the more people that sign on to do the order, then the better the discount will be.

I like the Limited's trim and styling much better than the stock SRT (just my opinion). But, i'd really like the SRT engine! So, this seems like a much more logical gameplan than buying a whole new car...

Anyone interested?

Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 AM

that would also be sick. if i could afford it i would, but i can't even get close to that. you guys are getting me excited, finally getting serious about some hardcore mods.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 AM

I kinda like the 3.2L S/C swap into the crossfire, be cheaper. And you would have a 330hp 6-speed XF. The all you would have to do is some ecu changes and a pulley, and you could achieve your 400hp goal. That car would be good for low-mid 12's. Now thats what I am talking about. Considering a stock slk32 can hit high 12's stock. So knock off 200lbs, add the advantages of stick, and about 360whp. Be one hell of a car.

Or there is always the alternative of buying a slk55 :-D or a C6 if you want the performance. Though I love seeing modded cars.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Cool Re: To mod my XFIRE or buy the SRT-6

Originally Posted by 911split
I think that would be just under $7,000 for a brand new SRT-6 engine with zero miles, all under factory warranty.
Now's there an idea.... firm up that price, I bet you'd have a few people interested... sorry not me.. I don't have anywhere near the flushable 7k required

Old 02-05-2005, 07:53 AM

1st wait and see what happens to SRT prices and get rid of the ugly wing. How hard is it to get rid of the wing? It is just a matter of swapping deck lids right?

2nd spend $7k and upgrade to the SRT engine and no ugly wing.

3rd spend $23K and buy the Reentech mod and no ugly wing.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 911split

I spoke briefly with a Chrysler dealership about myself and a few others possibly buying several SRT-6 engines at once. The parts guy immediately offered 20% off, without any prodding from me. I'm positive 30% off can be gotten.

I'm guessing that the more people that sign on to do the order, then the better the discount will be.

I like the Limited's trim and styling much better than the stock SRT (just my opinion). But, i'd really like the SRT engine! So, this seems like a much more logical gameplan than buying a whole new car...

Anyone interested?

There is noway you could get the complete engine and topend for $7k.Then you also need ECU,exhaust computer and possibly alot more you don't know about yet.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:58 PM

It's a good idea to start with using the SRT-6 engine and possibly upgrade the supercharger to a high boost for 400HP. Maybe its just gonna be around 15k which will leave me enough money for HRE or Ultralight BBS wheels.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

HREs are another $4k + of course you get lighter wheels and bigger brakes Rear gears etc with the SRT6.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:11 PM

I agree with the guy who said wait for prices to drop on the SRT-6. Considering the miserable reviews it's received, plus the high price tag, resale value on the SRT-6 won't be too good. Of course, dealers will still try to get top dollar, but a shrewd negotiator ought to be able to get himself a good deal.

If you spend $23K on an upgrade, you will never see much of that back when you sell the car. If you want the ultimate in performance, sell the Crossfire and put that money, along with your $23K, into a nice, used Gen II Viper (97-2002).

Or wait a couple of years for the 425-HP Firepower.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

put the 20k on the superbowl and get it for free.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Hey, that's what I was thinking while I can still get around 25k trade in value of my Crossfire! Either a Viper, 2002 Lotus Esprit or the 2005 Merc SLK55 ( i luv the interior ). These are the only cars that are next to my Crossfire...in terms of making me a happy and a satisfied driver.

That's the hardest part when you buy your Crossfire in cash 'cause you can see how fast your money is depreciating ( or being sucked at by the dealerships ) not like if you leased it or loaned it where the end value isn't that much important anymore.

But it's just hard to let go of my XFIRE....maybe I'll just mod it and be the fastest Crossfire in town

That'll make me happy!

Last edited by Cyril Baldwin; 02-06-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Yeah but it cost alot more to replace it with anyone of those.It's like my XJ12 I'm selling for 14k and spending 20k+ for another Jag with less options and power maybe I'll keep it.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
Hey, that's what I was thinking while I can still get around 25k trade in value of my Crossfire! Either a Viper, 2002 Lotus Esprit or the 2005 Merc SLK55 ( i luv the interior ). These are the only cars that are next to my Crossfire...in terms of making me a happy and a satisfied driver.

That's the hardest part when you buy your Crossfire in cash 'cause you can see how fast your money is depreciating ( or being sucked at by the dealerships ) not like if you leased it or loaned it where the end value isn't that much important anymore.

But it's just hard to let go of my XFIRE....maybe I'll just mod it and be the fastest Crossfire in town

That'll make me happy!
Hey, I remember the dealership with a Hemi Dart and a Dayrtona in around 1969 and the had a hell of a time getting rid of them. Hell even a few years ago when the 1st Viper coupe arrived at Royal Dodge and sat almost a year until they discounted it by 10ks.

The Xfire is too nice a looking car to not rebound in the long run, assuming they don't sell a million of them over the next few years and I can't see that. Bottom line! I love it and am looking forward to beefing mine up!

Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob G
Hey, I remember the dealership with a Hemi Dart and a Dayrtona in around 1969 and the had a hell of a time getting rid of them. Hell even a few years ago when the 1st Viper coupe arrived at Royal Dodge and sat almost a year until they discounted it by 10ks.

The Xfire is too nice a looking car to not rebound in the long run, assuming they don't sell a million of them over the next few years and I can't see that. Bottom line! I love it and am looking forward to beefing mine up!
The only Hemi Dart was made in 1968, so I am assuming it was sitting there for quite some time. Which is hard to believe.

ANd please don't compare a Hemi Dart to the crossfire LOL. Only 70 were made LOL. And they stickered for 4500 in 68. ANd with little tuning ran mid 10's lol. That is one of the funniest things i have ever heard on this forum.

Quick Reply: To mod my XFIRE or buy the SRT-6