Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I finally did something about the performance of the XF

Old 02-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally did something about the performance of the XF

I bought a SRT-4, still have the crossfire for now, don't know what I am going to do with it, once I bought the SRT-4 the XF just sits now. A friend of mine may be interested in assuming the lease, if he takes it so be it, if not, looks like I'll use it as a winter beater, since I have the snow tires on it already.

Was going to buy a STi, but couldnt warrant the over 10k over the SRT. The crossfire just wasnt for me. And trading it was a joke, with 10 grand upside down I could pay off my lease with that same amount, so thought it was smarter just to keep it.

Last car I was this happy with was my 03 Cobra. M3 still holds the crown. Sure say its a neon, doesnt hide that fact that it still outperforms our crossfire in every aspect. Bang per buck you can not beat it. The car is more comfortable, has a better ride, shifts better, gets great gas mileage,seats four, and actually has power. Should have bought one to begin with. Only minus is my insurance went up for the SRT-4. Other than that, I find it to be the better car.
I'll give you the crossfire has the looks, but thats a given.

Just My .02

Old 02-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Default Re: I finally did something about the performance of the XF

Well good for you.
I think some will be happy to hear the news.

Don

Old 02-07-2005, 01:17 AM

I'm about to get an SRT-4 as a second car too, I miss the power!!

Old 02-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess there is another kind of power?

srt-4 215 hp
crossfire 215 hp

actually, the neon really is a popular choice for very young adults who want to go fast (as evidenced by the insurance cost). no doubt the srt-4 has lots of bang for the buck. the crossfire might not out accelerate it but road and track results give the edge to the crossfire in handling (slalom, skidpad), braking, and refinement (the srt-4 is quite loud even at an idle). so you can't argue that the srt-4 is somehow a better car. it may very well be a better value. it all depends on whether you aim is to be a street racer.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you Bullseye! Looks like you got off your wallet and now you're happy. Guess if you don't sell the xf for a while, you can have a choice when you look good, or you feel good!
Is there a srt4 forum for you to be on now?

Old 02-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
i guess there is another kind of power?

srt-4 215 hp
crossfire 215 hp

actually, the neon really is a popular choice for very young adults who want to go fast (as evidenced by the insurance cost). no doubt the srt-4 has lots of bang for the buck. the crossfire might not out accelerate it but road and track results give the edge to the crossfire in handling (slalom, skidpad), braking, and refinement (the srt-4 is quite loud even at an idle). so you can't argue that the srt-4 is somehow a better car. it may very well be a better value. it all depends on whether you aim is to be a street racer.
Actually you are quite ill informed, yes in 2003 the hp was rated 215, in 04 like mine it went up 230, got lsd, suspension changes, and new tires. However there is no real increase as the srt-4 dynos at 225-235whp stock, compared to the crossfire at 170ish whp. I'll use magazine stats as you seem to be fond of them. There is no "might" not out accelerate, from Motortrend srt-4 ran a 13.8@102.7 and the crossfire ran a 14.7@94.0, that would be saying the srt-4 "may not" out run a C6. there is no may, it will. 0-60 is 5.3 for the srt-4 and 6.7 for the crossfire. Those performance numbers are from a 6-speed not even going to bother with an auto. lol Also the srt-4 braked from 60' in 112ft while it took the crossfire 113ft, the roadster is worse at 121, and the srt-4 slalomed at 68.3 and the crossfire was 66mph. Also the srt-4 gets better gas mileage. And as far as refinement, dash wise and interior quality okay, gotta love silver paint. But the shifter and clutch is money in the srt-4 and we all know how everyone feels on the crossfire's combo. The ride is better in the srt 4 as well as the seats are more comfortable. While it does this for 15k less in sticker price.
That's a pretty good argument if you ask me. Yes its loud, but I have owned v-8's that makes this thing sound quiet, so it does not bother me. Then you have a huge after market, there is a video of a srt-4, beating a E46 m3 on a the road course. The srt-4 had coilovers, along with some other tid bits. When they get coil overs they are a force to be reckoned with.

I couldn't find any g's numbers but i know they were both in the high .8's

Old 02-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
Good for you Bullseye! Looks like you got off your wallet and now you're happy. Guess if you don't sell the xf for a while, you can have a choice when you look good, or you feel good!
Is there a srt4 forum for you to be on now?
I have been there quite awhile already, as I am a huge fan of the srt-4, srtforums.com is probably one of the biggest forums on the net. I am also joining a local srt-4 club, fun times. The crossfire will probably sit in the garage, unless it snows then I'll bring it out.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Hahaha. Good for you. You sound pretty happy!
Go fast safe

Old 02-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i stand corrected on the hp.

road and track:

srt-4 (2004)
0-60 5.9s
1/4 mile 14.5s
60-0 braking 118 ft.
skidpad 0.85g
slalom 67.30 mph

crossfire (2004)
0-60 6.7s
1/4 mile 14.90s
60-0 braking 114 ft
skidpad 0.89g
slalom 69.60 mph

depending on who is doing the tests results in different numbers. the crossfire provides pretty good numbers in braking and handling. in this example, better than the srt-4. and like i said, for someone in very early adulthood the srt-4 is a really cool car to drive because it combines value with good performance and compares nicely to all the japanese compact sporty cars that are competing for your $. at this stage in your life the srt-4 might be a better choice than the crossfire, and i'm glad you like it. but for many of the people on this forum, in particular those beyond their mid 20s, the neon wouldn't have much to offer. but it's still a neat car that doesn't have much competition in its price range.

Last edited by Rob M; 02-07-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Epyon

congrats! nice car

Old 02-07-2005, 06:12 PM

I hope Bulls Eye is happy with his purchase, and I wish him luck. I just did a web search for his new ride under "images" and all I can say is that everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

This is a case of style vs. straight line acceleration.

We all have our own needs and motovations.

Sadly both for Bulls Eye and Daimler-Chrysler, this car was poorly marketed.

It is not a go fast car, but more of a piece of rolling sculpture, an interesting, creative and fun work of art, a design that is reminicent of other previous designs that were less popular than all those corvettes.

I love washing this car, it's curves and lines are dramatic, exciting and different, similar to another car I own and adore.

If you have a minute, why not check out another interesting design from 1963 that has stood the test of time, and yes, you can still buy a brand new one today.

http://www.theavanti.com/

http://www.avantisource.com/

http://www.garyzcarz.com/studebaker.htm

Old 02-07-2005, 07:11 PM

road and track:

srt-4 (2004)
0-60 5.9s
1/4 mile 14.5s
60-0 braking 118 ft.
skidpad 0.85g
slalom 67.30 mph

crossfire (2004)
0-60 6.7s
1/4 mile 14.90s
60-0 braking 114 ft
skidpad 0.89g
slalom 69.60 mph

depending on who is doing the tests results in different numbers. the crossfire provides pretty good numbers in braking and handling. in this example, better than the srt-4. and like i said, for someone in very early adulthood the srt-4 is a really cool car to drive because it combines value with good performance and compares nicely to all the japanese compact sporty cars that are competing for your $. at this stage in your life the srt-4 might be a better choice than the crossfire, and i'm glad you like it. but for many of the people on this forum, in particular those beyond their mid 20s, the neon wouldn't have much to offer. but it's still a neat car that doesn't have much competition in its price range.
Every magazine is different, that's why i prefer not to magazine race. I think those times for the SRT-4 are for the 03, as that did not have lsd. Every other magazine has gotten the srt-4 in the high 13's or low low 14's. Couldn't find the G's for the crossfire coupe but did find MT's for the vert, .82 and MT's for the SRT-4 was .87.The SRT-4 is right there with the crossfire in handling. It is really not just a straight line car. Motortrend said with a bigger sway in the rear, it would be right up there with the MPS protege, which was rated on the top handling cars by RoadandTrack. Even a mach 1 with a solid rear axle known as a straight line car posted better lap times than a s2k, the only car that beat the mach's lap time was the 350z. But the mach whooped it in straight line performance.

But I have seen srt-4's stock run 13.5's, a guy in club is consistent at it, best time I have seen a regular guy do in a stock XF, was the guy on this forum was 15.1.

I'll admit the SRT-4 is not for everyone. And thanks for your understanding. And not trying to flame me.

BTW thanks eypron, you should check into buying one. During the summer I am installing stage 2, a larger fmic, up, tbc, and intake should wield some impressive numbers I'll be in the 12's for sure.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Banned
Cool Re: I finally did something about the performance of the XF

road and track:

srt-4 (2004)
0-60 5.9s
1/4 mile 14.5s
60-0 braking 118 ft.
skidpad 0.85g
slalom 67.30 mph

crossfire (2004)
0-60 6.7s
1/4 mile 14.90s
60-0 braking 114 ft
skidpad 0.89g
slalom 69.60 mph

Dittos

Yeah and a backseat too,and a trunk.and don't forget that BIG WING that let's the cops know you mean to go fast.Have fun.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:57 PM

Interesting... I traded in my 2003 SRT-4 for my Crossfire and I couldn't be happier. Good luck and go for the short shifter, you'll need 'cause every a-hole with more than $25.00 in mods is gonna race you!

PS IMO the Crossfire is much more drivable. You'll quickly find "U" turns are easier at 15MPH and yank up the e-brake!, otherwise get used to wide swings and "K" turns.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

I think NOS on the Crossfire would have been a lot cheaper.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by CyberGreg
Interesting... I traded in my 2003 SRT-4 for my Crossfire and I couldn't be happier. Good luck and go for the short shifter, you'll need 'cause every a-hole with more than $25.00 in mods is gonna race you!

PS IMO the Crossfire is much more drivable. You'll quickly find "U" turns are easier at 15MPH and yank up the e-brake!, otherwise get used to wide swings and "K" turns.
I don't mind that people want to race, shows your car is respected and they now its fast. The neon is uber nimble just like the crossfire. And how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and the crossfire is a tighter fit.

The lack of power doesnt drive you nutz?

And dad yes the nitro would have been cheaper in teh short run, but not when I blow my engine in the process. And it would take as more than a 50shot of nitrous to hang with the SRT. Just can't wait to sell the crossfire, when I do its fox body notch back time.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

Xfire $34k msrp +srt-4 $25+mods,=$59k+ I think you're really bored ! Coulda had a nice ?m5.or Porsche.or SRT6 and change

Old 02-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Epyon

yea, i really like the SRT-4 too, mopar has nice support for the Neon, with up to Stage 3 which will put you in 12's.

BTW have you heard of the Extreme lightweight Neon.

the thing has 400HP to the wheels, and pulls 11's, costs around 32k, special order only from Mopar, also has only one seat lol.

anyways, congrats on your awesome new car. the seats are awesome i sat in one before.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:23 PM

I don't know where you are getting the lateral G numbers for the Crossfire, but the number from Car and Driver is .91 g on a 300 ft. skidpad. "In light of this, we also expected pretty respectable lateral-g numbers, an expectation that was vindicated on the skidpad: 0.91 g. That’s better than any lateral-g number we’ve recorded for the Nissan 350Z and equal to the performance turned in by the new Mazda RX-8 in our April comparo “Rotary Revival.” http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2
Road and track puts it at .89 g on a 200 ft skidpad. I haven't read anything else that deviated less than .89 or more than .91 g.
I'm not knocking the SRT-4, I'm sure it's a fine automobile for many people, but the one thing that everyone says it lacks is handling (just like all the Crossfire reviews says it lacks power), even the 2004 models with the limited slip differential.
One thing I noticed about the SRT-4 is that it has a really impressive 5-60 acceleration time, 5.7 seconds I believe.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by mjanowich
I don't know where you are getting the lateral G numbers for the Crossfire, but the number from Car and Driver is .91 g on a 300 ft. skidpad. "In light of this, we also expected pretty respectable lateral-g numbers, an expectation that was vindicated on the skidpad: 0.91 g. That’s better than any lateral-g number we’ve recorded for the Nissan 350Z and equal to the performance turned in by the new Mazda RX-8 in our April comparo “Rotary Revival.” http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2
Road and track puts it at .89 g on a 200 ft skidpad. I haven't read anything else that deviated less than .89 or more than .91 g.
I'm not knocking the SRT-4, I'm sure it's a fine automobile for many people, but the one thing that everyone says it lacks is handling (just like all the Crossfire reviews says it lacks power), even the 2004 models with the limited slip differential.
One thing I noticed about the SRT-4 is that it has a really impressive 5-60 acceleration time, 5.7 seconds I believe.
Got it from motor trend, and all the magazines say it handles quite well, read further into it, they don't say pro- good 5-60 con- handles like ***. I got the g number from Motortrend for a 6-speed roadster, could not find the coupe. Also on the MT roadcourse the rx-8 and the 350z beat the Crossfire, the crossfire isnt the best handler in the world, the m3 pulls high .8's in some magazines, so you saying the crossfire can out handle a M3 LOL. Road and track said the car has great handling(srt-4) but has some rear roll, which would be fixed with a larger sway in the rear. And if the crossfire is so good, how come it still lost to the audi TT in the comparo? The SRT-4 fwd, slaloms as fast, faster in some cases, and pulls almost as muchs g's, how can you say it handles like a brick? Makes no sense, the ACR neon made back in the mid 90's was a excellent handler. Just because its a neon, doesnt mean it handles horrible. Look in the racing section, another guy is talking about how good the SRT-4 handles. Also what do you use more in every day driving? Pulling .9 g's around an entrance ramp or using the power you have to move.

Quick Reply: I finally did something about the performance of the XF