Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Will the Crossfire increase in value?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the Crossfire increase in value?

They only made 70,000 of these cars or so, I can't believe they sell so cheap for being 80% Mercedes. In your opinion, is it a "classic" worth keeping?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Will the Crossfire increase in value?

Originally Posted by xxitalia1892
They only made 70,000 of these cars or so, I can't believe they sell so cheap for being 80% Mercedes. In your opinion, is it a "classic" worth keeping?
It is not yet a classic by most definitions that count.

From Wiki
What makes a car a classic car?

A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The Classic Car Club of America maintains that a car must be between 30 and 49 years old to be a classic, while cars between 50 and 99 fall into a pre-antique class, and cars 100 years and older fall into the Antique Class.

If you have time on your side look after it and one day it will be one, how much it will be worth is any bodys guess.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been an AACA (since 1935 considers cars at least 25 years old to qualify) for quite a while but this is the first I've heard of a CCCA (CCCP now...). Afraid I cannot take any club seriously that does not consider a 1923 Jordan Playboy a classic & does not seem to know that a Blackhawk was a Stutz.

That said when I acquired my Judge in 1986, it was a $600 gas-guzzler. Generally a car needs to have supply drop below demand before the price starts to rise. Probably will happen around 2024-2028 if we still have gasoline available.

Until then am just going to keep on enjoying mine. Drove it to church today.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

HMMM, I'll be 91 when mine turns 30. But to answer one of your questions YES they are worth keeping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
I've been an AACA (since 1935 considers cars at least 25 years old to qualify) for quite a while but this is the first I've heard of a CCCA (CCCP now...). Afraid I cannot take any club seriously that does not consider a 1923 Jordan Playboy a classic & does not seem to know that a Blackhawk was a Stutz.

That said when I acquired my Judge in 1986, it was a $600 gas-guzzler. Generally a car needs to have supply drop below demand before the price starts to rise. Probably will happen around 2024-2028 if we still have gasoline available.

Until then am just going to keep on enjoying mine. Drove it to church today.
Did you take a battery operated Sawzall to give yourself more room in the pew?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on ebay they are almost giving them away ! Now sad a great car don't know why price not staying !

Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 AM

bought it because i wanted it, love driving my car, just wish it wouldnt chew rear tyres at the rate it does. never mind its just good fun. If they are still around in 20 years time yes. will i be around in 20 years time to care? Just enjoy everyday. Im real glad that this loverly car is mine to enjoy.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by pop49
bought it because i wanted it, love driving my car, just wish it wouldnt chew rear tyres at the rate it does. never mind its just good fun. If they are still around in 20 years time yes. will i be around in 20 years time to care? Just enjoy everyday. Im real glad that this loverly car is mine to enjoy.
Every time you hear of one being wrecked increases the potential value of your car. Just like the story of the guy who has the only two stamps of their kind in the world, he is told by an appraiser that they are worth a million dollars each, upon hearing that he tears one up and asks how much is this one worth?
These cars are practically at rock bottom now depending only on condition to get a better price. How much is a twelve year old mustang worth say? Not much. Any car that runs and will pass the various road worthiness tests is worth maybe two thousand bucks or so, it might be a Crossfire, but it is not an ideal day to day beater for winter so maybe it will get to an even lower price level.
Only the fact that the car is a bit different warrants the price they do get, some of the mods being done to some of these cars is condemning those particular cars to even lower values. In the end the car is only worth what someone will pay for it, that is the way it was and still is.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

MY 2c: Anyone who has watched any of the car auctions should note that the older cars bringing the most money are the roadsters with the big engines. That being said the only collectible XF is the SRT6 Roadster & you can count on it being a long time before that happens. My XF is my fun car with 43K. If I live to 85 (not likely) I'll only have 82K & it still won't need plugs & wires. I bought mine to enjoy, I'm not looking at any collector value.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Crossfires will never be a '69 Z28 Camaro, or any other classic muscle car. They just don't have that kind of interest. As far as mods to the car...modifications can make a car unique. Especially when the mods are one of a kind. Or 20 of a kind. But unique regardless. This could appeal to that special car guy. But a classic. Never will that happen. It will make the bastard car list though. Better to drive and enjoy them as much as you can. There have been a few SRT6's coming out of collections with very low miles that are bringing average prices. I hope I am wrong...because mine aren't going anywhere now. I had that feeling to unload them again, but that feeling has passed. One more mod is coming.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some disagreement on this but in my mind I'm certain the value will increase.

The best illustration I can make for comparison is the Chrysler TC. Like the Crossfire the TC was also a collaboration project with a European maker, in that case Maserati. Not particularly well recieved the TC languished as a bit of a freak and impossible to get parts for (unlike the Crossfire which can use SLK 320 parts).

Now look at values. 7 years ago a running TC could be had for around $3000. Today a running TC will cost between $6-7k very nearly the same going rate as a Crossfire. What changed? Nothing, other than the car surpassed 25 years and has some Mopar historical value. Absolutely no reason to think Crossfire won't increase as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any SRT6 Roadster with less than 60k miles purchased in late 2013 has already increased in value. These are the most rare Crossfires, and Roadsters/Convertibles always end up being first to rise in value (with the exception of the Solstice Coupe for instance). I bought mine in Aug 2013 for $13,500, and you can look at Autotrader and Cars.com and see a) very few available b) if they are more than 100k miles they don't get a premium, BUT if they are 60k miles or less they going for $15,000 - 18,500 now.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM

Yeah, but you stole yours...lol. Most would always bring 18K with low miles...

Old 09-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I admit it :-) But then, aren't we all supposed to buy low and sell high? The OP is asking if he should buy low, but wants a sure thing. For me, the sure thing is that these are amazing, beautiful and fun cars right now. Just this morning two separate stop light walk bys told me "wow that's a cool car!" Yeah...that feels nice.

Last edited by Da55id; 09-19-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 PM

I'm always for buying low and selling high.... I just detailed the roadster today. Took it for a spin. I left ole' blue parked too long. The IC pump had frozen up from setting I guess. While taking it to the shop to tear down the rear end, it never worked. So, we need to drive them more... This little roadster is where I started out. It still has all the mods and runs very very well. I would sacrifice it at 20K solid. I have 30 in it. You all can see the list of mods in my sig. It is spotless. I'm **** about that. Just throwing it out there....lol

Old 12-17-2016, 03:54 PM

My " red bull" increases value every day I drive it . I too will be too old if it is an antique.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As one poster has said, the cars are only worth what someone will pay . . . . I bought mine to enjoy, 04 coupe with 37k km on it now, and I have enjoyed every one of those km's !!! . . . .

Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Seems the prices are coming down again. Been some pretty good buys on SRT6 coupes the last couple of months. I had some friends over just before the cold weather. They looked at both my cars. Since they are not up on XF's. They couldn't see anything that they would consider modded. That is the nice thing about leaving the outer stock, and only making horsepower changes. No one sees that unless you are an owner. Even the track officials don't detect the mods. I like a clean looking stock car. I have too much time and $$$$ in them to let them go now. My sons will enjoy them someday.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

These cars are "priceless" only to those of us that have a great fondness for them. I consider these cars a rarity, which is why I like driving it. The car still gets stares from passersby wherever I go in it and folks are always coming up asking about the car. I don't want something that everyone else has.

Now what is interesting is that while I was showing the car at the Euro Auto Festival In Greenville this past October, a fellow car enthusiast approached me 4x about selling the car to him. Last request he told me to name my price! And he had already offered me $16,500. But I stood fast! Idiot me! Good thing the wife wasn't with me, she would have sold it!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:47 PM

First, if you want short term increases in value a car is the wrong direction. I bought my Crossfire recently because once I drove a SRT6 I was hooked at any cost. My luck led me to an expert in your club that steered me in the direction of value if there is any. My luck found a 2006 SRT6 Coupe in the rare Machine Grey. A quick look at your handy statistics showed me that it is 1 of 47 SRT6 Coupes made in 2006. I saw that only about 6-9 actually made it to the US and only 2 were Machine Grey. 1 of those was shipped to Puerto Rico. I have the other one covered in my Garage.
I love this Car.
Like other things I have collected that are no longer made. Value is in quality,numbers produced, and condition. I have to keep this one original. Now I can look for a 2005 just to play with and learn. They are cheap considering what you get in good looks and performance.

Attached Images

Quick Reply: Will the Crossfire increase in value?