Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Odometer Issue-Miles randomly jumped?

Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer Issue-Miles randomly jumped?

Hi All,

Fairly new Crossfire owner and fairly new to the forum. Hoping for some help regarding my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Ltd. I would say what the miles are but that is why I'm starting this thread.

What I know: When I purchased the car and got its first oil change post ownership, odometer read miles of 67xxx, after experiencing issues with and ultimately replacing powertrain control module, along with other non-electrical repairs, mileage now reads 107xxx. Instrument panel backlight flickers and partially goes out when headlights are engaged.

Can anyone explain to me why my miles have seemingly changed? The instrument panel is in mph and has the word "miles" under the odometer but the temperature appears Celsius. Is it possible the car dual reads and that "mileage" is actually "kilometers"? 107,000 km is roughly 67000 miles. If the car can bet toggled between miles and km, can anyone explain how to get back to miles?

If the above can't be done, can anyone explain what may have happened to my odometer? Could the previous owner have attempted to roll it back? Do odometers fail?

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Odometer Issue-Miles randomly jumped?

Originally Posted by grossgrun
Hi All,

Fairly new Crossfire owner and fairly new to the forum. Hoping for some help regarding my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Ltd. I would say what the miles are but that is why I'm starting this thread.

What I know: When I purchased the car and got its first oil change post ownership, odometer read miles of 67xxx, after experiencing issues with and ultimately replacing powertrain control module, along with other non-electrical repairs, mileage now reads 107xxx. Instrument panel backlight flickers and partially goes out when headlights are engaged.

Can anyone explain to me why my miles have seemingly changed? The instrument panel is in mph and has the word "miles" under the odometer but the temperature appears Celsius. Is it possible the car dual reads and that "mileage" is actually "kilometers"? 107,000 km is roughly 67000 miles. If the car can bet toggled between miles and km, can anyone explain how to get back to miles?

If the above can't be done, can anyone explain what may have happened to my odometer? Could the previous owner have attempted to roll it back? Do odometers fail?

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Guessing here to start a discussion, could the fact the powertrain control module got replaced indicate a DRBIII initialization problem with registering/displaying KM or miles?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That's a first, but the math sure makes it appear to be stating in kilometers vs miles. That's how they read in Canada and elsewhere using the same speedo. I have never seen a way to change it between the two, but there might be a hidden process. (There was a way to switch from Farenheit to Centigrade on my old Audi A6.) Good luck.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The odometer and temp units display can be changed using the Stardas system. Several years ago I witnessed Rudy demonstrate this on his SRT6 roadster.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
The odometer and temp units display can be changed using the Stardas system. Several years ago I witnessed Rudy demonstrate this on his SRT6 roadster.

I had read this before (ability to change the US/Metric display) but only once or twice in my membership, that I heard the odometer 'jumped' back and forth in a random pattern. I wonder how that is happening? I would ask if there are multiple 'storage' locations for the actual miles/kilometers? Could there be a glitch happening when a module was replaced from another 'US/Metric' vehicle of the opposite?

Old 02-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Hi All,

My apologies for the delayed reply. I thought I was set to receive notifications when members posted on the thread but was apparently wrong. Here I was thinking I had finally stumped you all.

Alas, you're all too good for that!

I appreciate all of the responses. It would appear that the most hopeful is that a diagnostic scanner has done it and/or can do it. My chief concern is that to my knowledge, other the the PCM, no other modules have changed recently. Meaning, there should be no other modules from another US/Metric vehicle in my vehicle, at least not sense I have owned it.

Any additional thoughts from anyone?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All,

My apologies for the delayed reply. I thought I was set to receive notifications when members posted on the thread but was apparently wrong. Here I was thinking I had finally stumped you all.

Alas, you're all too good for that!

I appreciate all of the responses. It would appear that the most hopeful is that a diagnostic scanner has done it and/or can do it. My chief concern is that to my knowledge, other the the PCM, no other modules have changed recently. Meaning, there should be no other modules from another US/Metric vehicle in my vehicle, at least not sense I have owned it.

Any additional thoughts from anyone?
Canada -spec has a cool "DRL" mode in there. Somewhere....

Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Canada -spec has a cool "DRL" mode in there. Somewhere....
The DRL feature is solely the result of using the headlight switch that contains the wiring for the DRL option.
Change the switch and you get DRL's.
I suspect the US switch could be reconfigured to get the DRL feature. I tried to open a US switch and a DRL switch but I could not open them, I think Rudy opened one in the parking lot of a hotel once in front of me though.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-14-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM

Cheers, all!

I talked to a mechanic friend yesterday who works on MB and has the STAR system, $50 and he'll hunt through the programming to try to find where he can toggle temp, miles/km, and time (currently in 24hr, not 12).

Only downside is anytime the battery terminal comes unplugged, it is likely to revert back. At least I'll know and when the time comes to sell the car, I can get it switched back to miles.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The DRL feature is solely the result of using the headlight switch that contains the wiring for the DRL option.
Change the switch and you get DRL's.
I suspect the US switch could be reconfigured to get the DRL feature. I tried to open a US switch and a DRL switch but I could not open them, I think Rudy opened one in the parking lot of a hotel once in front of me though.
I'm slightly confused...I hear DRL and think daytime running lamps. What would a DRL switch have to do with temp, miles/km, and time?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Cheers, all!

I talked to a mechanic friend yesterday who works on MB and has the STAR system, $50 and he'll hunt through the programming to try to find where he can toggle temp, miles/km, and time (currently in 24hr, not 12).

Only downside is anytime the battery terminal comes unplugged, it is likely to revert back. At least I'll know and when the time comes to sell the car, I can get it switched back to miles.
My DRBIII manual mentions selecting the metric mode and also the country.I doubt disconnecting the battery will have it revert back to imperial/US measurements.
I thought you needed the Crossfire card and the DRB tool to do changes, not the Star tool.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-14-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My DRBIII manual mentions selecting the metric mode and also the country.I doubt disconnecting the battery will have it revert back to imperial/US measurements.
I thought you needed the Crossfire card and the DRB tool to do changes, not the Star tool.
Thanks! I have no idea if that will actually happen, I just read it in an MB SLK blog. A similar issue was happening to a couple of guys and when they reset it, it would be fine until a battery disconnect/reconnect.

A previous poster mentioned the STAR tool. If it is DRBIII and Crossfire card, I may be in trouble because I'd be surprised if the mechanic has the Crossfire card (and I don't either).

Last edited by grossgrun; 02-14-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: updated quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm slightly confused...I hear DRL and think daytime running lamps. What would a DRL switch have to do with temp, miles/km, and time?
You have to look at the post I was answering, it was not your post.