Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Anyone tried two different tire pairs?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried two different tire pairs?

My rear tires have totally balded during this winter and I will have to get them replaced. However, the front ones are still decent and likely be good for another year. Has anyone driven with two different sets of tires as I'm thinking of doing?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Anyone tried two different tire pairs?

I drove on two different "Name Brand" tires for several years with no ill effects. Just make sure one set isn't summer only, and the other set is 4 seasons rated. You may have some precarious moments during sudden temperature changes.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I run two different tires on front and back, front on the silverfox, I like a stiffer sidewall, would like another set of run flats on the front, with there stiff sidewalls, but finding a run flat in all season for front has almost no options.
Rear I use good all season tires that are good for rain in 275/35 or 285/35 in rear.
Rear I have used good year eagle, gmax, dws, dsw 06, and can't remember what was on when I purchased.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 AM

Fireamx, I didn't think of that. Great point. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I drove on two different "Name Brand" tires for several years with no ill effects. Just make sure one set isn't summer only, and the other set is 4 seasons rated. You may have some precarious moments during sudden temperature changes.
The other factor to consider when using different tire sets is to use the same tread configuration. Mixing Asymmetric & Symmetric tread patterns is something most tire shops won't recommend. And if the set you're keeping is a directional tread design, then the new set needs to be that design also.

Attached documents cover the possibilities. (Note: Keep in mind, the attached documents from TireRack.com are documentation from a vendor that sells tires. But the overall philosophy is sound.)

Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-15-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 225/40ZR-18 Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 XL all season high perfs on the front to handle the extra weight on the front/turn in and to ensure handling in the wet, and 225/50ZR-17 KUMHO ECSTA LX PLATINUM XL max perf summers on the rear for improved traction. I've had zero problems and the formula - works for me. If it's cold outside I take it easy. As the Khumo Ecstas wear out on the rear, I will replace them with Michelin Pilot Super sports or similar. Is there anything better than the Super Sports? I still have some wheel spin even with the Khumos and Wavetrac LOL!!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this a fopa. 18s on the front an 17s on the rear,?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
I guess not he said
225/50r17
Doesn't make much sense though.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

No, the actual tires are 285/35ZR X 19 inchers. You have a fine editor's eye! Thanks for catching that error.

Originally Posted by Steve Jr

Last edited by Da55id; 02-16-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM

I am on tire set #5.the last three sets have been cooper zeon in several different configurations.i am running at present 225/40 18 RS3S (summer soft compound) on the front and a 275/35 19 RS3A (all season) on the rear.I don't run the car in cold weather.this seems to be working well for me but tire preference seems to be a very personal thing.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Anyone tried two different tire pairs?

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I run two different tires on front and back, front on the silverfox, I like a stiffer sidewall, would like another set of run flats on the front, with there stiff sidewalls, but finding a run flat in all season for front has almost no options.
Rear I use good all season tires that are good for rain in 275/35 or 285/35 in rear.
Rear I have used good year eagle, gmax, dws, dsw 06, and can't remember what was on when I purchased.

You might check Bridgestone Driveguard, (run flat). They list 225/40RF18 & 235/40RF18. Also a 245/40RF19 which might work on rear if one wants run flats on all corners?
Maybe discussion should be moved to Technical/Tire section.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Run-flat tires suck, they are too stiff, I don't believe run flats came on Crossfires OEM. An additional problem with the rear size 255/35/19 is that most (if not all) are XL load rating because that size is somewhat common on heavier cars and SUVs.

I run standard passenger 225/40/18 Yokohama AVID All-Season on the front and Pirelli P Zero Nero High Performance All-Season on the rear in 255/40/19 which are 1 inch larger in diameter overall. Both have appropriate speed and load ratings though they are different from each other, 92V and 96W. The fronts were an Audi OEM fitment and the rears are Mustang GT (Performance Pack) front fitment.

Here's the kicker, I bought all of them used (from a used tire dealer) and by used I mean they are brand new dealer take offs with less than 100 miles on them. I have no issues with buying used tires, the dealers check them all for damage and that they hold air on a rim. I've had real issues with brand new tires from places whose name rhymes with Shack to go through that again. An interesting not is that OEM tires have all the UTQG numbers on the sidewall other than treadwear though you can look those up online.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular

can you recommend a couple used tire dealers online please? thanks!

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
Run-flat tires suck, they are too stiff, I don't believe run flats came on Crossfires OEM. An additional problem with the rear size 255/35/19 is that most (if not all) are XL load rating because that size is somewhat common on heavier cars and SUVs.

I run standard passenger 225/40/18 Yokohama AVID All-Season on the front and Pirelli P Zero Nero High Performance All-Season on the rear in 255/40/19 which are 1 inch larger in diameter overall. Both have appropriate speed and load ratings though they are different from each other, 92V and 96W. The fronts were an Audi OEM fitment and the rears are Mustang GT (Performance Pack) front fitment.

Here's the kicker, I bought all of them used (from a used tire dealer) and by used I mean they are brand new dealer take offs with less than 100 miles on them. I have no issues with buying used tires, the dealers check them all for damage and that they hold air on a rim. I've had real issues with brand new tires from places whose name rhymes with Shack to go through that again. An interesting not is that OEM tires have all the UTQG numbers on the sidewall other than treadwear though you can look those up online.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Da55id
can you recommend a couple used tire dealers online please? thanks!
I didn't but get mine online though there are companies selling used tires online. You'll still have to pay for shipping. There is Used Tires for Sale at Discount Prices - BestUsedTires.com which looks pretty good. I bought mine locally using the method below.

Look on Craigslist in the largest city near where you live, they have a category in auto parts just for wheels and tires. I live in SE Michigan so I found mine near Detroit which may be better than other locations. The best part about buying used is that the dealer checks the tires, you can look at them also, and you can buy what you want rather than what a tire store (new) wants to sell you. You may find tires from a private party also, I've done that in the past.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular

cool - thanks very much

Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
My rear tires have totally balded during this winter and I will have to get them replaced. However, the front ones are still decent and likely be good for another year. Has anyone driven with two different sets of tires as I'm thinking of doing?
been doing it for 5 years...no problems of any kind....Carl