Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just bought crossfire and could use some help with a few issues

Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought crossfire and could use some help with a few issues

Hi everybody,

I just purchased a 2004 coupe down in West Virginia yesterday and made the trip back home to Ny. I have to say i love the car already. The car does have a few issues that are present that Im sure you all can point me in the right direction toward resolving them. Ive tried to do some research on here toward seeing what it could be but since im not sure of how the issues occured i figured it would be better to ask before just throwing money at it.

1.) I have already put a new battery and RCM into the vehicle to eliminate anything related to those.

2.) The speedometer does not currently work. All other gauges do however work though. Could this be the wheel speed sensors causing this issue?

3.) The bad ESP, ABS, pad wear, and brake light are all on. would this be the ABS module?

4.) Spolier light is flashing which is probably tied into one of the above issues?

5.) Check engine light is showing a p0600 code. I saw a post saying that could be related to the speed senors?

6.) I dont know if this is normal but i found it quite odd. When the lights are on, Key in or out of the ignition, if you press the brake pedal all of the gauges and lights turn on like the key is in accessory position. Ive never heard or seen anything like this so it had me scrathing my head.

Thank you in advance and cant wait to contribute any knowledge i have to this great community!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Just bought crossfire and could use some help with a few issues

2-5, probably speed sensor related.
6 ? You got me on that one.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanks I will get those ordered up today!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by gragonese
Thanks I will get those ordered up today!

Welcome to the best forum I ever belonged to! Might not need new sensors, have you tried testing them? Have you downloaded the service manuals available here (FREE)? I have tested wheel sensors (not the XF yet) and all you need is a VOM, and have the wheel up in the air. Jacking up and checking the wiring to the sensor could find your problem. Sure beats throwing money at it until you have confirmed the sensor is bad, right? Good luck!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Congrats on your recent purchase & welcome to our Forum. Lots of great advice & solutions to quirky Crossfire issues - Looks like you already received some. Crossfire electronics are the most troublesome areas on the car. Typical of the German cars of this time period.

Good luck with repairs.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Welcome to the best forum I ever belonged to! Might not need new sensors, have you tried testing them? Have you downloaded the service manuals available here (FREE)? I have tested wheel sensors (not the XF yet) and all you need is a VOM, and have the wheel up in the air. Jacking up and checking the wiring to the sensor could find your problem. Sure beats throwing money at it until you have confirmed the sensor is bad, right? Good luck!

I havent had a chance to test the sensors yet. I was going to buy all 4, find the bad one and then replace it. Is there any difference in going with the aftermarket ones compared to the OEM ones other than the big difference in price?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

I havent had a chance to test the sensors yet. I was going to buy all 4, find the bad one and then replace it. Is there any difference in going with the aftermarket ones compared to the OEM ones other than the big difference in price?
Do not buy parts using the Chrysler part number, parts like the sensors you need are best purchased using the Mercedes part number if buying OEM parts, they are the same part but you will pay Chrysler a hefty mark up for the part.
Cheaper still is to buy the part using the Bosch or whatever makers part number.
Hardly any parts carry the Chrysler part number on them, most parts carry the Mercedes part number. Remember that Mercedes or Chrysler buy these parts from contracted suppliers and specify they want their part number on it, as the car is made from the Mercedes parts bin you find Mercedes part numbers on them, moulded in or on a label. Parts made specifically for the Crossfire have a Mercedes part number starting with the first three digits 193 xxx xx xx.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Yesterday i took some time and got around to tackling the sensors. Since i didn't know exactly which one was bad i replaced all 4. I disconnected the battery while changing them and then reconnected when finished. Well, as soon as i started the car the brake, bad esp, and abs light popped right on and taking it for a drive the speedometer still was not working. What should i be looking to next? unfortunately i wont be able to get the vehicle to pass inspection here in NY without being able to have the car log at least 60 miles in the computer with no codes thrown

Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Yesterday i took some time and got around to tackling the sensors. Since i didn't know exactly which one was bad i replaced all 4. I disconnected the battery while changing them and then reconnected when finished. Well, as soon as i started the car the brake, bad esp, and abs light popped right on and taking it for a drive the speedometer still was not working. What should i be looking to next? unfortunately i wont be able to get the vehicle to pass inspection here in NY without being able to have the car log at least 60 miles in the computer with no codes thrown
Did you have only one code thrown?
I would reset them and go for a ride and see if you have any more codes this time around.
I thought the speedo ran from a sensor on the rear of the transmission, I am not really to sure on that though.
Brake light stop switch has been known to put the ESP/BAS light on. No cruise control with speedo issues either.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Did you have only one code thrown?
I would reset them and go for a ride and see if you have any more codes this time around.
I thought the speedo ran from a sensor on the rear of the transmission, I am not really to sure on that though.
Brake light stop switch has been known to put the ESP/BAS light on. No cruise control with speedo issues either.
I only had the p0600 code thrown initially for the serial communication. When i took it for a drive after changing the sensors out the check engine light didnt come back on until the 3rd key cycle of on and off. I haven't seen what the check engine light code is since the reset but i will get my scanner and go take a look. I know its horrible practice but im ready to just start replacing parts till i solve the problem. I read on another post about the abs module potentially being a problem. Any thoughts with that?

Old 06-11-2017, 05:06 PM

I just checked the code and it is the p0600 code again

Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Before I order an abs unit can someone tell me if they are specific to automatic or manual transmission? Correct me if I am wrong but I read that they 04 models are year specific just need to know if that applies to the transmission

Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Before I order an abs unit can someone tell me if they are specific to automatic or manual transmission? Correct me if I am wrong but I read that they 04 models are year specific just need to know if that applies to the transmission
Manual or auto it is the same part, but 2004 models have a specific part not used on later models.
Get the number off your unit and buy it using the Mercedes part or the manufacturers part number. Never use the Chrysler part number which is in the parts manual.
Are you sure you really need this part?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Manual or auto it is the same part, but 2004 models have a specific part not used on later models.
Get the number off your unit and buy it using the Mercedes part or the manufacturers part number. Never use the Chrysler part number which is in the parts manual.
Are you sure you really need this part?
From reading a few other posts on here about the same issues it seemed changing out the abs unit fixed the issue. I was wondering how the abs unit would tie in to an inoperable speedometer though

Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It sounds like you have a "back circuit" concerning lights and brake pedal depression. I would verify that both brake lights come on as well as center mounted light when you depress the brake pedal. Could be a wrong bulb or bulb installed incorrectly. Also, blown fuses tend to create some weird problems, easy to check. I have found most of these weird problems seem to be caused by something very simple/stupid.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock
It sounds like you have a "back circuit" concerning lights and brake pedal depression. I would verify that both brake lights come on as well as center mounted light when you depress the brake pedal. Could be a wrong bulb or bulb installed incorrectly. Also, blown fuses tend to create some weird problems, easy to check. I have found most of these weird problems seem to be caused by something very simple/stupid.
That issue turned out to be as you said the wrong bulb. The previous owner had a turn signal bulb shoved in there and once the proper bulb was put in all of those issues disappeared

Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamrock

Great call!

That issue turned out to be as you said the wrong bulb. The previous owner had a turn signal bulb shoved in there and once the proper bulb was put in all of those issues disappeared

Super that you found the problem before you tossed a lot more $ at it. GREAT catch by Shamrock! Thanks for reporting back with the fix!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 PM

An update to this. I got around today to replacing the ABS unit. Not too hard of a job since it is in an easily accessible location. Once replaced i fired up the car and the pad sensor, check engine, brake, and ABS light instantly went off. Took it for a drive and have a working speedometer too!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

An update to this. I got around today to replacing the ABS unit. Not too hard of a job since it is in an easily accessible location. Once replaced i fired up the car and the pad sensor, check engine, brake, and ABS light instantly went off. Took it for a drive and have a working speedometer too!
Woohoo, gj
Now just sun and smiles

Old 07-01-2017, 08:26 PM

Recently had an abs, esp/bas, spoiler problem similar to yours. My problem was a chipmunk/squirrel got to the wiring harness. I was able solder the wires and repair. You may want to check the wiring for any signs of chewing. Your solution may be completely different but it's may be worth the time to check for harness damage. I am in no way an expert. Good luck.