Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Clear coat failure around the windshield

Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear coat failure around the windshield

Has anyone else's Crossfire had the clear coat -- not the paint under it -- flake off?
See below for a photo of it. This is the narrow band between the windshield and the driver's side window. I think it may be plastic. My Crossfire is a 2008 Coupe and I'm the original owner. It has about 55k miles.

I have contacted Chrysler and the rep told me that if a dealership examines it and deems it a defect then Chrysler would pay for the fix. I took it to a local dealership and the guy deemed it a manufacturer defect -- a "clear coat failure." Apparently, the dealership has submitted the photos of it and I'm waiting for a final conclusion to this saga.

If you've had a similar problem, what did you do with it? Fix it yourself, if so, how? If you got Chrysler to fix it, share how you did it. Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Clear coat failure.jpeg (1.07 MB, 1 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Clear coat failure around the windshield

I would remove all 3 pieces, sand thoroughly, prime, and repaint. You may even consider painting them to match the body color.

James

Old 06-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Has anyone else's Crossfire had the clear coat -- not the paint under it -- flake off?
See below for a photo of it. This is the narrow band between the windshield and the driver's side window. I think it may be plastic. My Crossfire is a 2008 Coupe and I'm the original owner. It has about 55k miles.

I have contacted Chrysler and the rep told me that if a dealership examines it and deems it a defect then Chrysler would pay for the fix. I took it to a local dealership and the guy deemed it a manufacturer defect -- a "clear coat failure." Apparently, the dealership has submitted the photos of it and I'm waiting for a final conclusion to this saga.

If you've had a similar problem, what did you do with it? Fix it yourself, if so, how? If you got Chrysler to fix it, share how you did it. Thanks.

I would be willing to bet that it is not the factory finish, that it had been refinished once. That looks exactly like what happens when you wait TOO long between color and clear coats, there is little chemical bond, clear flakes off. Those little fish eyes are another indicator of a refinish.

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 06-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 AM

Jim F:
I'm the original owner of the vehicle. Your theory does not hold water in this case.
Thanks.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
sjcrossfire (12-06-2020)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by James1549
I would remove all 3 pieces, sand thoroughly, prime, and repaint. You may even consider painting them to match the body color.

James
Unfortunately, I'm not such a handyman. I will see what Chrysler is willing to do. If they won't do it then I will have to pay it myself to get it done. Thanks.

Mike

Old 06-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Unfortunately, I'm not such a handyman. I will see what Chrysler is willing to do. If they won't do it then I will have to pay it myself to get it done. Thanks.

Mike
Whoever does the repair make sure that the top peice is secured properly, in too many cases these parts get blown off the car after removal and the owner is on the forum looking for the replacement for it.
The replacement costs more than the cost of refinishing the part in many cases.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

That top center piece cost about $200. Ask me how I know. Regardless, mine is held down with extra insurance, 3m extra strength double side tape.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim F:
I'm the original owner of the vehicle. Your theory does not hold water in this case.
Thanks.

Mike
I too am an original owner of a 2008 Coupe and have the exact same issue. It is a flaw.

sjcrossfire (12-06-2020)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Jim F:
Thanks.

Mike
If that is the original finish, I'll eat worms!!! I've seen a lot of Crossfires, none that had as poor a finish *** yours. The factory never sent one out with fish eyes in it, it would not have passed inspection. It had to have been redone by the dealer before you purchased it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it and I sure am sorry that it is flaking off but factory finishes don't look like that. I would remove all three pieces and either DIY or have a shop refinish them, it's not really all that hard. I hope you get things done to your satisfaction, we all like to keep things "lookin good".

Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

I would bet a handshake Chrysler/FCA will not pay a penny or do any work on a car this old. 2008 model built in 2007, about 10 years old.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Take them off yourself, drop them off at your local body shop.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
If that is the original finish, I'll eat worms!!! I've seen a lot of Crossfires, none that had as poor a finish *** yours. The factory never sent one out with fish eyes in it, it would not have passed inspection. It had to have been redone by the dealer before you purchased it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it and I sure am sorry that it is flaking off but factory finishes don't look like that. I would remove all three pieces and either DIY or have a shop refinish them, it's not really all that hard. I hope you get things done to your satisfaction, we all like to keep things "lookin good".

It looks like the clearcoat is disintegrating.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory clear coat paint around my windshield looks worse than yours. Squirrel Crusher

sjcrossfire (12-06-2020)
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
The factory clear coat paint around my windshield looks worse than yours. Squirrel Crusher
Yeah i can believe that

Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim F:
Thanks.

Mike
Not uncommon for the dealer to repair a piece that may have been damaged before the vehicle was sold. Happens all the time, even today.
Bill T.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted the trim about 5 days ago. It very easy. I had never painted anything before. Duplicolor paint, primer & clear coat. You could not tell I painted it if I did not tell I did it.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Billto
Not uncommon for the dealer to repair a piece that may have been damaged before the vehicle was sold. Happens all the time, even today.
Bill T.
No argument there and with the way shippers handle things, I'm sure more than a few got damaged. When doing clear coat, you have about a 24 hour window between paint and clear. The fisheyes are the result of contaminants in the air line, usually water.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can or have someone else auto wrap the trim. See white/cedar posts for more photos.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
No argument there and with the way shippers handle things, I'm sure more than a few got damaged. When doing clear coat, you have about a 24 hour window between paint and clear. The fisheyes are the result of contaminants in the air line, usually water.
You B correct Jim.
Bill T.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Whoever does the repair make sure that the top peice is secured properly, in too many cases these parts get blown off the car after removal and the owner is on the forum looking for the replacement for it.
The replacement costs more than the cost of refinishing the part in many cases.
Thanks for the heads up. That's a good thing to keep in mind when i picked up the vehicle after the resurfacing.