Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Manual Or Automatic??

Old 04-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Or Automatic??

hello all,

i am in 2 minds about the gear shift to get, either a manual to enjoy the hi revs and get into the frame of mind of driving a sports car. Or an automatic gear, that will make life easier in London, uk as traffic is trerrible.

can people tell me the good and the bad on both the automatic of manual gear shifts?

which one in hindsight would you go for? As i hear the automatic suffers with problems, anyone can fault the automatic?

Niko

Last edited by Niko; 04-02-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Default Re: Manual Or Automatic??

Never heard of problems with the automatic. I've heard it's a very good box.Mine has been flawless.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the autostick if you want an aggressive launch and want a sporty feeling! If you want comfort in driving thru heavy traffic...use the automatic.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:02 PM

If you do a lot of city driving I would go for the auto. Stick is nice, but a real pain in stop and go traffic. I went to the auto when I bought my Crossfire, my last auto had a 6 speed and I loved it, but stop and go was a big pain.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:27 PM

Ill tell ya what ..1st of all driving a 6sp vs the auto is night & day for performance. I drive the notorious 91 frw 6 days a week talk about stop n go traffic!! a 6sp u can start out in 2nd than to 4th than 6th no prob. trust me u will love the stick!! + manual gear boxes last 4 ever...

Old 04-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Niko i drive the M25 every day and its Auto all the way for me, found the manual to be very short in first gear and the clutch to be way too light for my tastes. The auto is great in cruise mode and quite reponsive, if you want fun then the auto stick is good but not as good as the audi DSH system.

LP

Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Talking Re: Manual Or Automatic??

I have driven both and would take the auto every time - you can always switch to teptronic if you want to control the gears yourself so you've got the best of both with the auto.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by lordpercy
Niko i drive the M25 every day and its Auto all the way for me, found the manual to be very short in first gear and the clutch to be way too light for my tastes. The auto is great in cruise mode and quite reponsive, if you want fun then the auto stick is good but not as good as the audi DSH system.

LP
Same here. My vote is for the auto stick hands down.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:57 PM

thanks alot guys!

you have really helped! after reading all your comments i going to go for the Automatic option, i think London means too much stop and go, and i suppose the free hand can be used in more better ways when crusing with the top down... for waving at the admiring girls!!!!!! no bad i thought i hope!

thanks again

Niko

P.s anyone in NW london hi to you!

Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 PM

I think you made a good choice for your situation. I chose the 6 spd because my car is not an every day driver and I wanted the performance and feel from a manual. If I was driving it to work every day I would have gone with the Auto/Stick.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Epyon

well, i've heard that the manual is horriable. it breaks down all too quickly and the syncros are unreliable, so as much as it pains me to say: Autostick.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats funny, your young, always talkin ish bout the crossfire, and you drive an auto.........

Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chipkinder
I think you made a good choice for your situation. I chose the 6 spd because my car is not an every day driver and I wanted the performance and feel from a manual. If I was driving it to work every day I would have gone with the Auto/Stick.
I think this is going to be a mistake because YOU WILL FIND THAT YOU WILL WANT TO DRIVE YOUR CROSSFIRE EVERYDAY!
And the autostick is in the top 3 autosticks made in the world today!

The 6 speed isn't in the top 20! The new 1 in 350SLKs is Better!

And with the autostick you have the option to shift or not. Sorry my 3 cents worth.

Last edited by Dan Root; 04-04-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 AM

ehhh, i dont care if it was a bmw smg, ferrari f1 or audi cvt (thats you top 3 bud) i would never not row my own gears, sorry. any real driver wouldn't.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:59 AM
xfire embrace
Wink Re: Manual Or Automatic??

I row ( since thats the term use ) too and enjoying it. Any how, I am ready for auto if I want to buy the next car. As the local (where I am) rumour goes, manual is phasing off. Glad I own this one.

Have fun

Old 04-04-2005, 02:38 PM

You have to factor in age too. I've had manuals all my life and thought I'd NEVER have an automatic. Then you hit a stage in your life where you have arthritis in your knees and elbows and wrists etc. All of a sudden, an auto stick looks great.If you live long enough, it will happen to you.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Harry feeling very old now

Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Epyon

Originally Posted by x'ed
thats funny, your young, always talkin ish bout the crossfire, and you drive an auto.........
ok, now what.

next car is definitely Stick.

your point was what again.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by harry7
You have to factor in age too. I've had manuals all my life and thought I'd NEVER have an automatic. Then you hit a stage in your life where you have arthritis in your knees and elbows and wrists etc. All of a sudden, an auto stick looks great.If you live long enough, it will happen to you.

i sure agree with that, i always figured thats why they made things like smg (i know its not the real reason) for people who weren't able to drive stick anymore.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 PM

auto sounds like the right choice, i mean we got speed cameras everywhere in the uk and london is not known for its "race-like" streets.

i know there are a few nice roads, but the auto makes life easier i would imagine in everyday driving especially in traffic.

i think i going to miss the in control feeling of a manual.

anyone with the manual experienced these problems that people are talking about?

Niko

Quick Reply: Manual Or Automatic??