Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cleaning vents?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning vents?

Hi all,
I've had my Crossfire since 2004. Drove her continuously until I got a larger car for driving family around 4 years ago. I want to keep her forever, so I only drive her once in a while. After not driving her for a number of months, I got in and saw a fine mold all over the seats, floor and dashboard. I cleaned it very well, and had it detailed with carpets cleaned. Now I would like to clean out the air conditioning system, and spray some mold killing spray into it. What are your suggestions? Where would I spray it? Is there an air intake outside the car where I could spray it with the car running to draw it in and through the system? I read here something about an air filter to change. I don't know if mine has ever been changed, though I always took it for routine maintenance.
Thanks for any guidance on this issue!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning vents?

Yes, there is a filter, you have to first pull back the passenger carpet and under pad, then remove 2 Phillips screws from the black panel covering the bottom of the dash. The two screws are at the front.
You can then remove this panel and you will see a cap about 10" long and 3" wide with 2 slidey things that release it. Remove this and you will see the filter that you replace.
As to spraying in the intake, that would be into the cowl behind the hood on the passenger side.
( It's a good idea however to remove this cowl and check for leaf debris clogging the drain holes, to do this you have to remove the wiper arms. )

open this PDF for purty pictures : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...eplacement.pdf

Last edited by ala_xfire; 08-30-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Thank you for the reply! I was hoping the air filter wasn't going to be in such an out of the way place. (As you've probably grasped, I'm not used to repairing my own car). I'll have to take it to a mechanic. To save time, is the filter something I can buy at an auto store, or is that something I'd have to order? If I need to order it, I'll get it before taking it to the shop. Thank you!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Most auto parts places will have it.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballyhoogirl
Thank you for the reply! I was hoping the air filter wasn't going to be in such an out of the way place. (As you've probably grasped, I'm not used to repairing my own car). I'll have to take it to a mechanic. To save time, is the filter something I can buy at an auto store, or is that something I'd have to order? If I need to order it, I'll get it before taking it to the shop. Thank you!

I would also have the mechanic check for a water leak. Somehow, moisture is intruding and setting in the car for extended periods of time (seeing mold is forming). If your cowl drains are plugged, the interior may have water settling inside. Clean those, and make sure you give the interior a good cleaning. Hope this solves this mold issue!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Thank you, that makes sense. I kept wondering where the moisture came from in the first place.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the pdf and write-up it was a great help in cleaning my filter and motor, this site is great

Hans