CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Misfire and backfiring help (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/78343-misfire-backfiring-help.html)

Jeff C 06-04-2018 03:55 PM

Misfire and backfiring help

I have a 2004 coupe just did wires and plugs Bc the car had a mis and was throwing multiple misfire codes, The misfire codes are gone but now it’s back firing thru the mass airflow I can here what sounds like a pop that’s happening here and there. Also the car is running rough and trying to stall out the rpms are under 500 rpms. Can’t figure this out help. I did new wires new plugs, replace fuel filter, some vacuum hoses, new mass air flow. And also the exhaust is getting really hot fast I’m thinking maybe clogged cats?

Steve Jr 06-04-2018 06:18 PM

Re: Misfire and backfiring help

Maybe you got a couple of plug wires backwards?. Loose vacuum line? Did you change the MAF sensor or clean it? You shouldn't be under 500 RPMs at any time. Idle , in gear , should be between 600 to 750.

Jeff C 06-05-2018 06:36 AM

Steve thanks for the reply. None of the wires are crossed, believe me that’s the first thing I checked. The MAF is brand new, I wanted to eliminate that right away so I replaced it. The vacuum lines are all secured and on. The car has 120k on it I’m wondering if the cats are clogged because it kinda seems like a exhaust backfire, and it’s only happening when the rpms drop really low, why I think that is because the exhaust is getting hot fast which doesn’t seem right to me. I was trying to find a post about anyone having a misfire with bad cats but couldn’t. So as of right now I have a misfire, no codes, rough idle to the point it stalls out or try’s too, I don’t know if that backfiring is happening because the car wants to stall or what, but I am gonna try to run a scan to see what all the sensors are telling me.

Steve Jr 06-05-2018 08:11 AM

Did you remove the the MAF housing when you changed the sensor? Have you pulled your RCM an looked for pitting on the relays contact surfaces? Let us know , what you get out of the scan.

Jeff C 06-05-2018 11:31 AM

I replaced the housing not just the sensor, if that’s the housing ur talking about? The pcm I pulled when I first got the car which was in December and redid the solder just in case Bc when I bought the car the skreem module was bad and didn’t know what it was at first. I got a good deal on the car Bc of the skreem and the prior owner didn’t know what was wrong with it. It was a dream car for my mom so I purchased it for her to repay her for all the years of hell I put her thru .

Jeff C 06-06-2018 05:19 PM

Thank you for helping Steve figured it out!! Wait until you here this.

Padgett 06-06-2018 06:36 PM

Sounds like a plug wire (or two) on the rong plug(s). I'd check that first.

Jeff C 06-06-2018 07:05 PM

Thanks for your help but figured it out today as I started digging into it further. Lets just say if ur not mechanic don’t try to fix car related issues. So I did a soap and water test the other day to see for vacuum leaks and replace hoses and I noticed some silicone which I thought was silicone and heard a bad intake leak, so I replaced the map sensor today and started moving somethings to realize that so called silicone was actually jb weld and there a huge hole patched on the intake manifold actually cracks all over the intake manifold. The mis I thought I had was actually a real bad intake leak causing to much air to be sucked and causing a mis and bad fire. Someone did great mechanic work!!! Off to find a intake. Will post pictures of the intake when I pull it out.

ala_xfire 06-07-2018 07:54 AM

JB Weld can fix anything short of a failing marriage, and might even work there if properly applied.

Steve Jr 06-07-2018 10:20 AM

Glad you found the source. If you cant find it locally or on fleabay , let us know. We'll give you some suggestions on where to locate one... ;)
On a second thought , look at the hole to see if it was, tapped at some point. Maybe you could rethread an plug the hole. Got any pics?
Or like George said , applied properly, JBWeld is some good stuff.

Jeff C 06-07-2018 12:47 PM

Will post pics when I pull it out the hole is 4in x 4in hole, patching isn’t gonna help. I found one for 175.00 used just have to have it shipped.

Steve Jr 06-07-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff C (Post 906848)
Will post pics when I pull it out the hole is 4in x 4in hole, patching isn’t gonna help. I found one for 175.00 used just have to have it shipped.

Holy Moly , I was thinking 3/8" hole... :confused:

ala_xfire 06-07-2018 01:08 PM

You would need some of that stuff that makes a screen door work as a boat bottom.

Jeff C 06-07-2018 01:14 PM

Flex seal lol

waldig 06-07-2018 02:12 PM

Always consider asking Rob At Needswings- he has the inside on many parts and suppliers, and has helped many others. Woody

Jeff C 06-14-2018 08:02 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...74ba585f1.jpegHere is the notorious jb weld intake manifold thanks again guys for your in put and help, I have to rebuild the injectors and then I will let you guys know how it runs.

Steve Jr 06-14-2018 08:14 PM

JBWeld is not THAT good....:p

Jeff C 06-14-2018 08:38 PM

I know lol as you can tell.

JEFASOLD 06-15-2018 02:16 PM

Another genius at work, LOL

Jeff C 06-15-2018 06:56 PM

Steve it’s all back together runs better then ever. Someone’s gonna be a happy camper just in time for summer.