Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

What tire repair kit are you carrying in your Xfire?

Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire repair kit are you carrying in your Xfire?

I'm looking for ideas for a good reliable tire repair kit for my new baby...links as to where to buy would also be appreciated also...

Thanks everyone...

Old 10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Default Re: What tire repair kit are you carrying in your Xfire?

What's wrong with the kit supplied?

Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabidraider
I'm looking for ideas for a good reliable tire repair kit for my new baby...links as to where to buy would also be appreciated also...

Thanks everyone...
I ordered the professional tire repair (plug) kit from JC Whitney just in case I got a small puncture along the road. Fits perfectly in the well on the opposite side of the trunk from the air pump. IMO I would rather plug the tire than fill it with goop.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
I ordered the professional tire repair (plug) kit from JC Whitney just in case I got a small puncture along the road. Fits perfectly in the well on the opposite side of the trunk from the air pump. IMO I would rather plug the tire than fill it with goop.
Thanks for the reply...was your kit this one?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000161854

Old 10-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered the professional tire repair (plug) kit...
i carry the same. mine is a general $5 plug kit from AutoZone.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by malcb
What's wrong with the kit supplied?
As I read the instruction in the manual, must be a PITA to use it! Should I have a flat tire I call road assistance to bring a wheel.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rabidraider
Thanks for the reply...was your kit this one?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000161854
That's the one. I used to work in a tire shop and have plugged more tires than I care to count and this tool is the best I've seen.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 PM

That's the one. I used to work in a tire shop and have plugged more tires than I care to count and this tool is the best I've seen.
I worked in a few gas stations myself and used these type also.

I'm going to order one...

Thanks

Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Forum Regular

...and AAA Plus is a good thing to have, especially with cars like the Crossfire that have no spares.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 AM

Live and learn - don't think we have such kits in the UK.

I take it the repair is permanent? Given the cost of a tire shop doing the job, and cleaning the goop first (for which I understand they charge extra), plus balance and a new valve, I would probably save $30 first time.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by malcb
Live and learn - don't think we have such kits in the UK.I take it the repair is permament? Given the cost of a tire shop doing the job, and cleaning the goop first (for which I understand they charge extra), plus balance and a new valve, I would probably save $30 first time.
The repair is permanent, but must be in the tread area - not on a sidewall. You are exactly right about cost - you save the cost of the kit with the first plug. And I also agree that AAA is a good thing to have, as others have mentioned. Especially if you have lots of time to waste! The last time I used them, it took two hours to get a tow truck to me and of course tow trucks don't do tire repairs...so, for a simple puncture like a nail, or something similar, a quick plug and the most time you've killed is inflating the tire. In lieu of a spare, I think it is pretty good 'insurance.'

Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From personal experience, try to avoid using the TireFit sealant that came with your Crossfire. Every Crossfire owner should carry one of the inexpensive tire repair kits in their car. Also, keep needle nose pliers in your car so that you will be able to remove screws or other hardware from your tire prior to performing the repair. A vulcanized rubber tire plug will repair holes much more effectively than the TireFit sealant. The TireFit sealant is a one-use product and costs $60+ to replace in the event you do use it, while a tire repair kit costs <$10 and can be used multiple times. Also, if you use the sealant, the repair is only temporary not to mention it may eventually clog your tire's valve and cause the pressure sensor to malfunction.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
... Also, keep needle nose pliers in your car so that you will be able to remove screws or other hardware from your tire prior to performing the repair.
Very good point. I forgot to mention that. I also put needle nose pliers in with the kit. It seems that all of us that have plugged a tire before, think alike. It's those little things that will have you back on the road in no time at all.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

And I also agree that AAA is a good thing to have, as others have mentioned. Especially if you have lots of time to waste!
I mentioned AAA Plus mainly because of the towing service they provide should you not be able to fix the flat yourself.

One other point, since most flats are caused by a slow air leak, I would add air to the tire and head straight for the tire repair shop and have it patched from the inside rather than plugging it.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
I mentioned AAA Plus mainly because of the towing service they provide should you not be able to fix the flat yourself.

One other point, since most flats are caused by a slow air leak, I would add air to the tire and head straight for the tire repair shop and have it patched from the inside rather than plugging it.
I agree with you 100%. They are not without merit and didn't mean to imply otherwise...just that if it's a small puncture, you can fix it yourself and be on your way in minimal time.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Forum Regular

Still, if it is only a small puncture resulting in a slow leak, patching is much better than using a plug, especially on a high performance tire. I would use a plug only as a last resort.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by chxf
As I read the instruction in the manual, must be a PITA to use it! Should I have a flat tire I call road assistance to bring a wheel.
The only thing is that Road side assistance won't bring a tire.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmackinjersey
The only thing is that Road side assistance won't bring a tire.
The one in Switzerland will/should. That's what my dealer suggested, not to use that unpractical TireFit $h!t. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think TCS (Touring Club Switzerland) even have a spare tire on board (one size fits almost all). If I have a breakdown I call the assistance, they find the nearest service point, tell them what car I have and what I need. If I need a wheel, they bring an appropriate which allows me to drive safe home or to the next tireshop.

Well, at least I hope ... will report if ever happens.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And, keep in mind Chrysler road side assistance will not repair your tire. The only function they will perform is a tow to the nearest Chrysler dealership.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chxf
The one in Switzerland will/should. That's what my dealer suggested, not to use that unpractical TireFit $h!t. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think TCS (Touring Club Switzerland) even have a spare tire on board (one size fits almost all). If I have a breakdown I call the assistance, they find the nearest service point, tell them what car I have and what I need. If I need a wheel, they bring an appropriate which allows me to drive safe home or to the next tireshop.Well, at least I hope ... will report if ever happens.
Sounds as though you have a much better service there than we do here in the States. Hope you don't ever have to use it...but if you do...inquiring minds want to know!!!

Quick Reply: What tire repair kit are you carrying in your Xfire?