Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

Texas highest highway anyone been here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Texas highest highway anyone been here!

Was reading a article about the big bend area looks like a good place for a crossfire gtg. There is a rebuilt fort from the 1860 that protected the travelers and settlers from Indians. Appears to be some interesting driving,photo ops, different types of places to stay b and b and hotels and motels that are not chains. 75 mile driving loop Thur national park
Have it the week of TMS meet in Fort Stockton Sun 1st Mon 2nd Tuesday 3rd wed 4th Thurs 5th drive back, arrive at motel 6 Thursday evening. maybe plan something for Friday around DFW area TMS is happening Sat Sept 7 https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...th-2013-a.html
MAY be Driving Directions - Google Maps
LooK Here is a plan of what to do, check this out Road Trip: The Borderlands of Texas -- National Geographic look this over make suggestion
Big Bend National Park - National Geographic
checking on motels/hotels etc for 10 rooms alsoif u are bring you pets let us know ow many BUDDY are you bring your 2

CHECK THIS OUT

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-meets/59687-crossfires-across-america-caa-4-texas-motor-speedway-september-1-7-a.html

<a href="http://www.af1ac.com/xfire/marfa_big_bend.pdf" target="_blank">marfa_big_bend.pdf (5MB)</a>
Directions to the Visitors Center | McDonald Observatory
Sign up now new to get a count for rooms, some may want to just do some of the days are find their oun rooms
1. texas t danny and sonia dallas texas srt abp coupe

2. JOEJET JOE AND HELENA OKLA CITY

3.smfrycruzr TERRY wife DC"xfire Diane OKLA 2xfire

4.InfernoRedXfire Dan Brenda Dallas

5.crrroger AZ/NV Rodger/Farah? yellow vert

Free Texas Travel Brochures | TourTexas.com

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ber-1-7-a.html

Contact DAN/ InfernoRedXfire about TMS are BIG Bend CAA 4
ARE Danny /texast about big bend CAA4
Comments if you have been here, are if you would be interested trying this next spring 2013

Last edited by texas t; 01-30-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Default Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

That's a place I'ld like to visit some time. Very cool geography. It's about 550 miles from Houston. Easily drive it in a day... especially if there's no troopers out there.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Talking Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

BEEP, I think the mileage is about the same from dallas

LETS DO IT

Last edited by texas t; 01-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be game.....I assume we are talking about the CAA for 2013 Right Danny? Look forward to seeing you again and the rest of the group.
Robert

Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Question Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

Check this out CAA4
Bump
would this be a good place for a CCA Chime in

Last edited by texas t; 01-28-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Smile Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

Originally Posted by rmaier
I'd be game.....I assume we are talking about the CAA for 2013 Right Danny? Look forward to seeing you again and the rest of the group.
Robert

Hey Robert, how are ya"ll doing , Sonia and i enjoyed the gtg with u and your wife. This being a Caa trip may work if there is enough interest. Searching for more first hand info, we will see. Hope to see and visit with ya"ll at next gtg

check this OUT

Last edited by texas t; 12-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks like a great location for a 2013 CCA. Ft. Stockton is just over 6.5 hours from D/FW.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM

I have attached several of the Tour Texas Big Bend area brochures to this post.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Big Bend Info.pdf (382.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: pdf
Chisos Mountain Lodge.pdf (1.41 MB, 229 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Danny and if this all comes off we'll be seeing you in the spring......or at the track if you still want us to show and can give me the dates to be there. How far is this from the track you guy's were talking about while we were in Reno? Maybe do a day at the track as well?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking forward to a trip out west .....but there is a gtg way down in Key West FL in May of 2013.... Too soon for me to commit, but I still want to come out west....too....

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

This is sounding pretty good. Even if it isn"t CAA-4. Looks like we could get a group together. It would be great to see the Virginia City gang again. I'm in Danny.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by joejet
This is sounding pretty good. Even if it isn"t CAA-4. Looks like we could get a group together. It would be great to see the Virginia City gang again. I'm in Danny.
Still looking for someone to step up and organize the CAA-4. Many have expressed the desire to go there. Come on Texas, step up to the plate.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM

I think we may have CCA-4 in the making.

Originally Posted by rmaier
Thanks Danny and if this all comes off we'll be seeing you in the spring......or at the track if you still want us to show and can give me the dates to be there. How far is this from the track you guy's were talking about while we were in Reno? Maybe do a day at the track as well?
The Big Bend Open Road Race in 2013 is April 23-27. http://www.bborr.com Maybe CCA-4 should be scheduled around that date?

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 11-26-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Post Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

BUMP

Last edited by texas t; 12-06-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Dan, are you talking about the Ft Stockton to Sanderson and return race? Very well controlled and participant screenig asell as equipment and entrance fees $$$$. I mentioned this race a year or so ago, and I'm still not sure where people would watch from?? Please read the rules and let me know what you think! I'd like to take a Tues-Wed run to MARFA and look at the "lights

FTroopChief jrpenz@windstream.net

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Smile Re: Texas highest highway anyone been here!

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
Dan, are you talking about the Ft Stockton to Sanderson and return race? Very well controlled and participant screenig asell as equipment and entrance fees $$$$. I mentioned this race a year or so ago, and I'm still not sure where people would watch from?? Please read the rules and let me know what you think! I'd like to take a Tues-Wed run to MARFA and look at the "lights

FTroopChief jrpenz@windstream.net
Hey, John and Eileen seems like a long time since we have seen ya"ll, how are Ya"ll. John Dan found out today that there are only 160 cars allowed. Yes i remember your post about this. Still think Big Bend area would make a great GTG are CAA4

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by texas t
Hey, John and Eileen seems like a long time since we have seen ya"ll, how are Ya"ll. John Dan found out today that there are only 160 cars allowed. Yes i remember your post about this. Still think Big Bend area would make a great GTG are CAA4

I agree that Big Bend would be a great location for CAA-4! But unfortunately I don't think the Big Bend Race would not fit in well. I called the Big Bend race coordinator today and it's not good news. They only accept 160 cars and last year they filled up within two weeks of opening registration. This year registration starts Jan 2nd so they expect to be full on or before January 15th. Given the amount of time it takes to build a group for CAA's, I don't see us having the group ready in time for the registration.

That said, I am trying to find out what date TMS spring 2013 is to see if we want to fit that into CAA-4. We could all meet up at TMS for the track experience and then caravan out to Big Bend on Sunday.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Forum Regular

I think your right Dan. It looks like there are a lot of hoops to jump thru to run, and I know most of our wives dont want to stand on the side of a road for 3 days to watch cars drive by.
The TMS-Big Bend idea sounds great. If its a go and I can help dont hesitate to ask. This is sounding better and better.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A GTG/CAA4 at the Big Bend race would have been too crowded, rooms not available or too expensive.

The idea of the TMS and Big Bend sounds good, however, I'm pretty much worn out after getting back from the TMS. Round trip for the TMS from the San Antonio area would be 539 miles, Big Bend would be 640 miles. To do both would be 1014 miles. I would do one or other . If they are scheduled separately during the year, I would do both.

I look forward to seeing a bunch of us getting together. At TMS, we had 47 Crossfires one time. It would be great to do that again or even more and at the Big Bend run. If the Solstice and Sky owners could get over 100 cars at an Ohio meet, why can't the Crossfires owners do it?

Last edited by Bill F; 12-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Forum Regular

A nice drive especially at night. Drove up to McDonald Observatory to do a photo essay on the telescope when I was attending UT in the 80s. Had a copper colored 85 Camaro with T tops. Only a V6 Joe Dirt special nowadays but it was quite a car.

Quick Reply: Texas highest highway anyone been here!