Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??

Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??

Hi Crossfire Team,

Happy New Year to All!

Does anyone know whether or not any of the TSB's on wind noise are specific to the roadster?

Also, with the top up, there is considerable wind noise...do other roadster owners have this problem...and if so...has anyone been successful in resolving it?

Also...I read a thread that discussed weather stripping from ...I think it was autozone...was that for a coupe or a roadster...and did it work?

I have read several older threads which talked about "mirror flag noise" as well as "window noise". People have said that they got the TSB's but it did not solve the problem.

Can someone try to summarize the problem and effective solutions...Thanks.

Any inputs and experiences would be appreciated.

BTW...This is my first ragtop roadster...but I don't think this is expected and normal...right? Comparisons to other ragtop roadsters would also be welcome.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??

I had a 2005 Saab Aero convertible before the XF and the noise was comparable with the top up (the Saab had an interior lining for the top which the XF does not).

I believe that the reasons there is so much noise with the top are as follows:

1) gaps in weather strip allow direct entry of sound - sounds coming through cracks are crisp, as if the top was down. You can usually find the source of these by listening.
2) sound waves hit the cloth top, deflecting it (just like a speaker cone) which results in compression/expansion of the air in the cockpit of the car. These sounds are muffled.

I am not sure there is anything you can do. Even if you fill all the gaps, you will still have the muffled sounds due to the lack of rigidity of the convertible material.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular

I have not noticed any excess noise with mine. This the third convertible I've owned so maybe I'm just use to the noise. But I also usually only drive my SRT-6 and Trans-am convertibles when I can put the top down. Lots of noise then! It seems every other pick-up on the road is a diesel 4x4! Nothing like breathing fumes from a 10 mile to the gallon small p equalizer.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Or my worst experience, getting stuck behind a "ripe" garbage truck on a surface street!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

I've owned 4 convertibles prior to my roadster. I can't say that my roadster is any louder than the other convertibles I've owned. I had some leaking earlier this year when we had a horrific rain storm that flooded most of Western Washington, but my dealer managed to replace the door seal and it's been fine ever since. The car is very quiet overall, and I'm not going to be "topless" for months to come! (June, at the earliest).

As convertibles go, the roadster is by far the most fun to drive over all my other cars.

The threads that trash the value of our cars and what a lousy job Chrysler has done to market the car are getting "tired" to me. I bought my car because I loved the look and the drive of the vehicle. I look forward to driving this car each and every day, and if the day comes when I don't, I'll sell it or trade it in and remember the fun I had while it lasted...

Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 PM

The wind noise on my Roadster is not excessive from my point of view. Maybe you have a problem with the weather-stripping.

Also, I would love to agree with Golfer Gal. I hate to see people trashing the XF. I love mine and plan to drive it for a long time.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by StevieRay
The wind noise on my Roadster is not excessive from my point of view. Maybe you have a problem with the weather-stripping.

Also, I would love to agree with Golfer Gal. I hate to see people trashing the XF. I love mine and plan to drive it for a long time.
Thanks for the comments...and I hope I hear from more Roadster owners.

Also...My posting was a question on how to solve the "Wind Noise" I am having. I do not understand the comment from you and Golfer_Gal...I would never "BASH" or "Trash" the crossfire...it's the best car I have ever owned...and I love it. I am just trying to fix a minor annoyance that a TSB or a Forum Member suggestion might be able to correct.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM

I have never owned a convertible before my Crossfire. I have what my son has called "bionic ears". He is an audio engineer. I can hear any squeak, hiss, jiggle that does not belong and I do not find the noise in the Crossfire to be a problem at all. I feel as snug as a bug in a rug in it. The only problem I had was with the factory sound system which skipped when I drove over the slightest bump.

I sent Christmas E-cards this year with a picture of a friend (male) posing on my car. I labeled it as "Mr January 2007". You would not believe the response - everyone wanted to know about the car yet no nibbles to sign the provocatively posed Mr. January.

My vanity plates say "LiMyFire" and last week a crew of firefighters pulled up behind me and gave me several new grey hairs by honking their horn quite loudly - they were not on a run - just playing.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Hi Crossfire Team,

Happy New Year to All!

Does anyone know whether or not any of the TSB's on wind noise are specific to the roadster?

Also, with the top up, there is considerable wind noise...do other roadster owners have this problem...and if so...has anyone been successful in resolving it?

Also...I read a thread that discussed weather stripping from ...I think it was autozone...was that for a coupe or a roadster...and did it work?

I have read several older threads which talked about "mirror flag noise" as well as "window noise". People have said that they got the TSB's but it did not solve the problem.

Can someone try to summarize the problem and effective solutions...Thanks.

Any inputs and experiences would be appreciated.

BTW...This is my first ragtop roadster...but I don't think this is expected and normal...right? Comparisons to other ragtop roadsters would also be welcome.
I recently purchased a '04 Roadster and the wind noise is driving me nuts on the drivers side, i read some of the threads regarding wind noise and the TSBs that were issued, i contacted my dealer on this and he sourced the TSBs and wants my Crossfire in to sort the problem...so fingers crossed...i will report the outcome.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MCathieE
I have never owned a convertible before my Crossfire. I have what my son has called "bionic ears". He is an audio engineer. I can hear any squeak, hiss, jiggle that does not belong and I do not find the noise in the Crossfire to be a problem at all. I feel as snug as a bug in a rug in it. The only problem I had was with the factory sound system which skipped when I drove over the slightest bump.

I sent Christmas E-cards this year with a picture of a friend (male) posing on my car. I labeled it as "Mr January 2007". You would not believe the response - everyone wanted to know about the car yet no nibbles to sign the provocatively posed Mr. January.

My vanity plates say "LiMyFire" and last week a crew of firefighters pulled up behind me and gave me several new grey hairs by honking their horn quite loudly - they were not on a run - just playing.
Oh my Gosh, I love your story! Send me your xmas card! I would love to see the 'car'! I know about the horn honking. I had the same thing and I about had a heart attack. I was lost in my own thoughts and the guy behind me started honking his horn like there was a fire...but it was just a "shout" out at my cute car...

Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB1
I recently purchased a '04 Roadster and the wind noise is driving me nuts on the drivers side, i read some of the threads regarding wind noise and the TSBs that were issued, i contacted my dealer on this and he sourced the TSBs and wants my Crossfire in to sort the problem...so fingers crossed..i will report the outcome
Thanks SteveB1...Good luck...Let me know how it turns out. Also...can you describe the noise and where you think it is coming from?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM

I was a little surprised at the wind/road noise with the top UP on my '05 roadster. I swear a window is open behind me. It's quite a bit noisier than my brothers late 90's VW Cabrio (top up). I <3 my crossfire and I'm used to the noise now, but I'd rather it were a little quieter.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??

Originally Posted by golfergal
but it was just a "shout" out at my cute car...
A little off topic, but I'm sure it has been commented on before.. and if not, SHAME ON YOU ALL.

It would be a tough decision on which makes the other look better, you or the car. Nice match, regardless.

Seriously, its almost as if you picked the color scheme to match your looks. Lol. Two toned leather interior... all you need now is a set of Andrew's Decals with the red accent to match your lipstick.

Last edited by Electric Messiah; 01-03-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Thanks for the comments...and I hope I hear from more Roadster owners.

Also...My posting was a question on how to solve the "Wind Noise" I am having. I do not understand the comment from you and Golfer_Gal...I would never "BASH" or "Trash" the crossfire...it's the best car I have ever owned...and I love it. I am just trying to fix a minor annoyance that a TSB or a Forum Member suggestion might be able to correct.

Thanks
Sorry, I didn't mean to say you were trashing the XF, I was referring to other posts from other users.

Have Fun!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Forum Regular

BP...I didn't mean to imply that you were basing the xfire...I had been reading some other threads that were commenting on the car and all its issues, and I just wanted to state for the record, that I loved my car. I understand that the noise issue is a real annoyance for some, and hope you get satisfaction with a repair or adjustment.

I have had wonderful service on my car and have had every issue that's come up, handled in a timely manner and with professional attention.

This is not always the case for some of the owners on this thread, which is a shame!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by golfergal
BP...I didn't mean to imply that you were basing the xfire...I had been reading some other threads that were commenting on the car and all its issues, and I just wanted to state for the record, that I loved my car. I understand that the noise issue is a real annoyance for some, and hope you get satisfaction with a repair or adjustment.

I have had wonderful service on my car and have had every issue that's come up, handled in a timely manner and with professional attention.

This is not always the case for some of the owners on this thread, which is a shame!
Thanks for the reply GolferGal. I will continue to drive, cherish, and enjoy my Crossfire as you do yours.

Happy Crossfire for 2007!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FarbenKiber
I was a little surprised at the wind/road noise with the top UP on my '05 roadster. I swear a window is open behind me. It's quite a bit noisier than my brothers late 90's VW Cabrio (top up). I <3 my crossfire and I'm used to the noise now, but I'd rather it were a little quieter.
FarbenKiber... Have you taken your car to the dealer for the TSB's on wind noise?

Also, has anyone else besides Golfergal tried the extra window weather-stripping from autozone? If so...did it work for you?

Golfergal...do you have a model/part number for the autozone window weather-stripping? I know you said "1/2 inch wide" but does it have adhesive or not, and was it rubber? I would like to get the same brand and part number that solved the problem. Also...did you place the weather-stripping in the channel behind the existing weather-strip...and did you place it everywhere the existing strip is...any additional places?

I would appreciate clarification on this. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular

Hi...I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I had a leak, and my dealer replaced the stripping for me under warranty. There has been no residual leaking, and I have no idea what part he ordered or how he installed it. I just know that the drip of water coming in from the driver's side window corner no longer leaks.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
GG

Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Post Re: TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??

Does anyone know what the "Mirror Flag" TSB is about in reference to Wind Noise? Does this have anything to do with the place where the mirror folds? Does that gap cause Wind Noise?

I am going to use some blue painters tape and tape cover that joint...and see if it makes any difference in Wind Noise.

Has anyone else tried this? Also...is there anywhere...besides the dealer...to get a copy of the actual TSB's?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2007, 09:40 PM

I just purchased an '05, SRT6 Roadster in Fl. Drove it back to middle Ga. and the noise w/ the top up was very loud. Could not hear the radio! Car has 3k miles and I have an app't w/ a dealer Tues.
Will post these questions elsewhere but:
Any one missing/lost the little pad where the top locks into the top of windshield? One of mine is missing, is small rectangular, black pad, appears to be rubber?
When lowering the top, does the tonneau release sound very loud? Mine is a real bang.

Quick Reply: TSB's on Wind noise specific to roadster??