Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Intake or no intake

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake or no intake

I have recently been pondering whether or not i should invest in a set of intakes for my xfire. What is the general consensus on this? I would think that it would almost make it worse due to the fact the it would then suck hot air straight from the engine bay. Would fabricating a heat shield on the stock intakes help? Any ideas on how to make this work?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intake or no intake

Originally Posted by Sinners
I have recently been pondering whether or not i should invest in a set of intakes for my xfire. What is the general consensus on this? I would think that it would almost make it worse due to the fact the it would then suck hot air straight from the engine bay. Would fabricating a heat shield on the stock intakes help? Any ideas on how to make this work
I've been thinking about this a little bit too.
It is a good setup already, but wrapping the tubes in a 'heat shield' type material would probably help. Also, moving the intake holes directly behind the grill may help too. Not sure of any of it though.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a sound modification... if you want to add the growl without reducing power take your stock intake and flip it, the center lid is removed by removing the torx screws around the edge. inside you will find a set of channels that keep the air flowing in a relatively straight path to the throttle boyd ... dremel these out and presto, you have growl ... add some k&n filters and you have some more growl. then buy some DEI thermal tape and cover the entire center lid and air boxes with it and you'll keep your air supply from becoming heat soaked in traffic (or at least make it not as bad hah)!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you going for noise or performance?

If the former, drill holes in your muffler.

If the latter, don't you think DC would have done this cheapo "upgrade" if it actually improved performance?

I made the mistake of ripping the smog gear off of my '82 CJ7 and drilled lots of holes in the air intake of my '77 Goldwing, neither really worked in the end. The CJ7 was faster but the mileage tanked. And the 'Wing ran worse and eventually the dealer taped over my brilliant holes.

IMHO, the stock car has a great growl.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM

This is what I have.

I don't know if you had this in mind, I didn't notice any performance change but it does sound nice. I did it for the look.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 AM

I have a single intake that I have designed and created I also have a duel kit that bolts right up along with sensor ports. Both pictures of single intake and then photoshop of the dual. I am going to start selling them on ebay let me know if anyone is interested.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=16592