Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Key Cutting?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crossfire Key Cutting?

Got a extra remote with a new blank key, went to a Chrysler dealer to have it cut, he said he knows nothing about that, went to a Ford-Mercedes dealer & he says it has to be "laser Cut" which means send it to Mercedes??. sounds kind of extreme to me, anyone out there that can help?
Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Key Cutting?

You order them by your vin # never heard about getting one cut.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Coupegirl: In other words you order the key from a Chrysler dealer, insert it in my remote in place of the blank key I have ???. Any idea of the cost of that cut key?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Local locksmith told me the used fob can't be reprogrammed. It's part of the vehicles security system and locked to it. He also said its $35 to mill a new key.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The fobs can be programmed to ANY other crossfire if they are still functional. It's like most fobs, they can be programmed into your car. It's the onboard security system that has a record of the fob. The fob itself doesn't change it's programming or 'lock' to a certain vehicle.

Just thought I would let you know to go to a REAL automotive security expert... not a standard locksmith.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buff5
Coupegirl: In other words you order the key from a Chrysler dealer, insert it in my remote in place of the blank key I have ???. Any idea of the cost of that cut key?
No I just orderd a key and remote from the dealer...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 PM

sorry to tell you yes you have to order the key from chrysler/mercedes yes it gets laser cut when my mom first bought her crossfire she lost a key and ran in to the same problem so she had to order directly from chrysler or mercedes i believe that it was $250 or $350 its been 3 years since that happened and took over a week to get the key.

the reason its laser cut is for fur there prevent car thefts from just sticking in a tool to open the door much more difficult for a inset key, but car thefts can program a key by just being close by as you lock your door they pick up that signal code program there fob and then can open your door and if they had time to figure out how to hot wire a car there gone.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM

Collegestud: Thanks much, NO thanks, they not getting $250 out of me, there will be another solution , I assure you. When there is that much $ involved someone will figure how to do it for much less, just like Chrysler wants $75 to program the remote & the easy way you can do it yourself has been posted on this forum!. Just checked my new Crossfire Convertible for gas mileage with a automatic & it was real close to 27mpg. It is a 2006 with 3200 miles now, I bought it from a dealer with 2950 miles & it was put into service on Oct 1st, 2007. Loaded with all options, to include the Nav radio & is Aero Blue Pearlcoat with the two-tone eggshell white & dark slate grey interior. Yes, there is a air compressor in the trunk on the lt side by the jack & handle, tool to expose the tow hooks, New Navigation Disc was in the compartment on the rt side of the trunk. Love it so far.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 AM

I would imagine with one missing remote that if whoever has it follows the car someday it could be stolen with that remote?, & is there any solution to that?. I do live at least 250-350 miles away from where that might have taken place, perhaps it was just lost or taken to sell as I see a lot of them on e-bay for sale with already cut keys?
Thanks.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by collegestud
sorry to tell you yes you have to order the key from chrysler/mercedes yes it gets laser cut when my mom first bought her crossfire she lost a key and ran in to the same problem so she had to order directly from chrysler or mercedes i believe that it was $250 or $350 its been 3 years since that happened and took over a week to get the key.

the reason its laser cut is for fur there prevent car thefts from just sticking in a tool to open the door much more difficult for a inset key, but car thefts can program a key by just being close by as you lock your door they pick up that signal code program there fob and then can open your door and if they had time to figure out how to hot wire a car there gone.
Obviously you've never seen a Crossfire door opened with a tennis ball!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM

the tennis ball trick that is so funny that some people believe that its real i think you can view it on youtube.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM

I just a spare key for my crossfire and the total came out to just over 50 dollars from the chrysler dealership.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by buff5
Got a extra remote with a new blank key, went to a Chrysler dealer to have it cut, he said he knows nothing about that, went to a Ford-Mercedes dealer & he says it has to be "laser Cut" which means send it to Mercedes??. sounds kind of extreme to me, anyone out there that can help?
Thanks.

HI!
Well, Its 2013 and I had my key break in the ignition!, it was factory old beat up key. I gutted the internet looking for someone that could cut it for me and any clues to a reasonable economical solution that would have me without a car for weeks waiting for Chrysler to order a key for $185 and $90 for programming. IDIOTS!

Long story short, luckily in 2012 I bought this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-KEY-CASE-for-Mercedes-Benz-C36-C43-CL55-E55-AMG-/380725825485?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a5070fcd&vxp=mtr
YOU want to pick option A" for the blade.

Once you call around someone that can cut a blade like that, IT WILLLL WORK!

then you can proceed to reprogram your key with the instructions all over this forum.

Basically, no one has given an appropriate source or answer on key cutting, everyone has either had no patience or desperation like I did which had me call, 3 Mercedes dealerships (THEY STATED WE DONT DO THAT/ 4 Chryslers (QUOTED ME $184 FOR KEY AND 90 PROG AND 2 WEEKS LEAD TIME), 6 locksmiths until I got a referral of a mobile guy who came and cut this blank spare I bought from EBAY!

I can provide # of them to anyone who needs, and he even said I should get a basic key not flip out because the fob from ebay itself is slightly wobbly and often cracks open slightly since its knock off. So he will look to see if he has similar blade for me to make me standard spare.

He charged me $65 to cut! I tipped him $15 for his efforts after all the rejections and high way robbery I experienced from others I was so happy!

Once you transfer all the guts of your old fob in it though it will work fine regardless of wobble/poor structure. I hate the geek squad guy do it while installing my new sony/Bluetooth/Pandora cd player and popped him a $20. Go to someone that knows what they are doing, I sure as heck don't but I know it can be done!

Has anyone put in new tumbler though? I fear I damaged mine, its rough to turn key though.

Last edited by starlet; 09-24-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Have you done the "sticky key fix" ?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by starlet
HI!
Well, Its 2013 and I had my key break in the ignition!, it was factory old beat up key. I gutted the internet looking for someone that could cut it for me and any clues to a reasonable economical solution that would have me without a car for weeks waiting for Chrysler to order a key for $185 and $90 for programming. IDIOTS!

Long story short, luckily in 2012 I bought this.

Remote Key Case for Mercedes Benz C36 C43 CL55 E55 AMG | eBay

YOU want to pick option A" for the blade.

Once you call around someone that can cut a blade like that, IT WILLLL WORK!

then you can proceed to reprogram your key with the instructions all over this forum.

Basically, no one has given an appropriate source or answer on key cutting, everyone has either had no patience or desperation like I did which had me call, 3 Mercedes dealerships (THEY STATED WE DONT DO THAT/ 4 Chryslers (QUOTED ME $184 FOR KEY AND 90 PROG AND 2 WEEKS LEAD TIME), 6 locksmiths until I got a referral of a mobile guy who came and cut this blank spare I bought from EBAY!

I can provide # of them to anyone who needs, and he even said I should get a basic key not flip out because the fob from ebay itself is slightly wobbly and often cracks open slightly since its knock off. So he will look to see if he has similar blade for me to make me standard spare.

He charged me $65 to cut! I tipped him $15 for his efforts after all the rejections and high way robbery I experienced from others I was so happy!

Once you transfer all the guts of your old fob in it though it will work fine regardless of wobble/poor structure. I hate the geek squad guy do it while installing my new sony/Bluetooth/Pandora cd player and popped him a $20. Go to someone that knows what they are doing, I sure as heck don't but I know it can be done!

Has anyone put in new tumbler though? I fear I damaged mine, its rough to turn key though.
I purchased the eBay replacement and it is no better and no worse for wobble than my OEM key which has not been used.

Any standard key will require the provision of an area to put the chip. No chip = no go.

If the key is hard to turn you should check to see if it is the sticky ignition key problem as ala_xfire says.

There is a thread on here that tells you how to switch the guts out of your old fob.

PS
By the way, we know it's 2013, in fact it's closer to 2014. Have you just woken up?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I purchased the eBay replacement and it is no better and no worse for wobble than my OEM key which has not been used.

Any standard key will require the provision of an area to put the chip. No chip = no go.

If the key is hard to turn you should check to see if it is the sticky ignition key problem as ala_xfire says.

There is a thread on here that tells you how to switch the guts out of your old fob.

PS
By the way, we know it's 2013, in fact it's closer to 2014. Have you just woken up?

Thanks...sorry, its just that I recently joined here and the times i've been on here finding solutions, the threads are older with sometimes loads questions but no answer new info for instance HOW much the keys replacements are jacked up at dealership now, every one I saw paid $50 or $80 from back when, so yes I have just woken Feb 2012 when I purchased the car. I wanted to share my key cut experience.

I saw the sticky fix thread, I don't think its something I can do myself, I will mess something up..
The guy said if he has a comparable key he can transfer my chip, yes I know the chip is important.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by starlet
Thanks...sorry, its just that I recently joined here and the times i've been on here finding solutions, the threads are older with sometimes loads questions but no answer new info for instance HOW much the keys replacements are jacked up at dealership now, every one I saw paid $50 or $80 from back when, so yes I have just woken Feb 2012 when I purchased the car. I wanted to share my key cut experience.

I saw the sticky fix thread, I don't think its something I can do myself, I will mess something up..
The guy said if he has a comparable key he can transfer my chip, yes I know the chip is important.
Just pulling your leg, amazing prices for keys back then, but they soon realized that good bucks were to be made as time passed and keys got lost and broken.
I love how the dealers throw out words like laser cutting, they think they will confuse you. You just look at the key and can see the cutter marks. Not your local hardware type of cutter but still a panto graphed machine using a small S&F end mill.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Ordered a new key (by VIN#) through the local Chrysler dealer...cost 125.00. Programmed it myself with info obtained on this site ...cost free!
The keys come from a Mercedes plant out west.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Sounds like most of you all have been thru a lot. I went too Chrysler gave them my vin, paid 165. with my VA discount, the key came already cut and fob was programed. Take it out of the bag a quick test to see if it worked and your on your way. The junk on EBay is not worth the trouble. Good luck. Buy the way when you order the way I described do not pay dealer to program its already done.

Last edited by penderd@att.net; 05-08-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: would like to remove the post
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by penderd@att.net
Sounds like most of you all have been thru a lot. I went too Chrysler gave them my vin, paid 165. with my VA discount, the key came already cut and fob was programed. Take it out of the bag a quick test to see if it worked and your on your way. The junk on EBay is not worth the trouble. Good luck. Buy the way when you order the way I described do not pay dealer to program its already done.
It is always nice to see someone who paid $40 more than the previous poster to them even with a discount be happy about it. For a $40 savings I'd be willing to press a button or two for 5 seconds.
Thanks for telling us that there are junk keys on eBay, except they do have some merit, but you'd know that.
Maybe you can explain why the difference between your key deal and the previous posters.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Key Cutting?