Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Cool, Crisp and Raw

Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Cool, Crisp and Raw

The radio anouncer said 56 degrees this morning as I pullled out of the garage. My roadster thermometer registered 52. Sunny, crisp and cool at 8:00. I toyed with the thought of putting up the top as my neighbor drove by in his Mustang GT convertible. He honked, I waved and noticed,... his top was up.
WIMP!

I left mine down and pulled up the street behind him. At the stop, we pulled even and I got the crossed arms at the shoulder and a shiver look. I smiled a macho smile and yelled, "I'm fine. It's what I bought a roadster for." He smiled, shook his head, pulled his auto into gear, stepped on his wimpy six and turned right as I went left.

Blocks later, a Solara, top up. Another auto with the owner cocoooned up in her warm cabin. And then a ricer. Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible, again the top up. At the light I got the cross arm shiver, "what are you crazy?" look.
Wimps!

There is nothing like the smell and sounds of a fall morning. The sun burning off a little mist and clear, crisp, cold air in your nostrils. It is what I bought the roadster for. That contact with the real world, shifting manualy and driving by the tone of the exhaust and the sound and feel of the car as it moved over the road.
Temp at 54 degrees.

A Miata. Medium blue with, yes the black top up, windows closed. I came up fast on the interstate ramp. Buzzed him on the right and let fly into fourth. 80 MPH and 54 degrees. brrrrr!
He smiled as I went by.
Wimp!

Sports cars are built for driving. For being close to the road and one with the process of movement over the ground. The wind whipping your hair. The sense of speed. The cares of the world slipping away with the miles under your chassis.
54 degrees.

I came up on a Pontiac Vue. Sexy body, silver with a high hauch stance. Very macho from the back and good lines from the front. Small engine and the top up!
WIMP!

The driver waved as I went by. Young fella. More than likely just being nice to the crazy old fart driving much too fast on a cold day with the top down.

WIMP!

What is it with people who own roadsters or even convertibles, that they put the tops up when it's too hot and run the air. Or too cold so they run their heaters. I mean driving a sports car should be a bit rugged and tough. None of that modern comfort stuff. Bear up and drive it like you're supposed to. Top down, manual trans, work it, raw cold edge driving. Live it real.
54 degrees.

Good thing I have heated seats.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-01-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cool, Crisp and Raw

Makes me want a Roadster. Made me think back on my convertibles - 1974 VW Thing with top speed of 65 MPH and a sportier 1982 Lancia Zagato. I too use to push the limit on convertible weather conditions and know just what you're talking about. Nice read & writing style. Thanks for refreshing the memories.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Franc, thanks for "joggin" my memory. One of the best times I ever had driving a roadster with the top down was back in 1968, sometime around Thanksgiving.
My everyday car (and my first car) a 1963 Dodge convertible wouldn't start. Me and two of my friends were planning on going to a party that was across town and the only other way we could get there was to drive my red 1960 MGA roadster, with the top down because that was the only way all 3 of us could ever fit in it.
It was a "brisk" 38 degrees, a clear crisp night, and we all had fleece lined suede jackets on. (what can I say, I was 17 and it was the style back then) So we really weren't that cold. Needless to say, the old MG's heater was all but nonexistant.
Well, we ventured out, but along the way we got distracted and started to simply enjoy the ride more than the prospect of the eventual destination. We spent the rest of the night cruising around, tearing down twisty country roads, doing some "field runnin" (off roading in todays venacular), and generally being stupid and having a blast.
Why is youth wasted on the young?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been cooler in the morning here in Colorado lately. About 45 degrees in the morning right before sunrise. I have a short drive to my workout place (about 5 miles). Nothing like seeing a bunch of people with jackets and of course tops up on any encountered convertible already surrendering to winter. Here I am, top down, shorts and short sleeve shirt nonetheless, enjoying the drive all the way.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shorts and a t-shirt.

Top down, 50 degrees, 80mph.

Windows up, heater on, heated seats on low.

Total comfort.

I love my roadster!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I have always liked bombing down a few back country twisties on a cool autumn day. Top down, shifter at hand, exhaust roaring, leaves rustling behind you.......I can't wait!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Cool, Crisp and Raw

Franc is a man after my own heart. I haven't worn long pants in 5 years! Ever since we moved from Wisconsin.
50 deg. right now, top down and I see this poetic tribute to the weak-kneed.

Thanks for putting it down on paper...er...keyboard.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Franc is a man after my own heart. I haven't worn long pants in 5 years! Ever since we moved from Wisconsin.
50 deg. right now, top down and I see this poetic tribute to the weak-kneed.

Thanks for putting it down on paper...er...keyboard.
You haven't gotten to the black socks and sandles stage yet ? Have you Max ?

Yeah, I'm envious of you roadster guys !!! But I love my lil red coupe !

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Sports cars are built for driving. movement over the ground. The wind whipping your hair. The sense of speed. The cares of the world slipping away with the miles under your chassis. It's what I bought a roadster for. What is it with people who own roadsters or even convertibles, that they put the tops up when it's too hot and run the air. Or too cold so they run their heaters.
I hear ya brother, WIMP's the lot of em!! I bought a roadster so I could feel the wind in my hair well whats left of it and by the way my family says driving around like a crazy old fart with the top down "IS" what happened to my hair, it blew off and is all up and down the side of the road! Have you ever heard such a load of stuff?
Anyway if it ain't rainin drop the top and ENJOY !! JMHO

Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stogey
You haven't gotten to the black socks and sandles stage yet ? Have you Max ?

Yeah, I'm envious of you roadster guys !!! But I love my lil red coupe !

Just my Dos Centavos
SIR!

I work at a university AND in the physics department. I've seen firsthand the damage done by skiiny old men with long hair, beards, rumpled clothes and sandles.

Some undergrads never fully recover.

Nope, I wear Sketchers or New Balance with an assortment of kahki cargo shorts.

Not exactly Armani, but I get dirty working!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Good thing I have heated seats.
WIMP! ..

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 AM

My sentiments exactly InfernoRedXfire. Franc, turn those heated seats off and live life to its fullest. WIMP!!

Now let me get back to my book,Carmel Latte and blanket warmer.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 AM

You guys are brutal.

Actually I turned them on before I turned them off. Or did I turn them off before I turned them on.
Wait this isn't the Political Forum.

Nevermind.

roadster with a stick

Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM

I dont mind driving in the cold but I have to have the air on and roof up when it is over 80.
I was out the other day at 32, roof down and no heated seats . Windows up and heat on though.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular

You go Phil !!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:37 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I got in my Roadster SRT this afternoon and decided to put the top down. The sun was in my eyes. I looked around for a hat and my sunglasses. Put the car in "D" and drove off................

It was 84 degrees. What a beautiful day. Don't you just love Florida.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I got in my Roadster SRT this afternoon and decided to put the top down. The sun was in my eyes. I looked around for a hat and my sunglasses. Put the car in "D" and drove off................

It was 84 degrees. What a beautiful day. Don't you just love Florida.
Too many "Old" people there.

roadster with a stick

Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Top down for the month of October!
It is Breast cancer awareness month, I just can not put a pink ribbon on a black roadster.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Come over by me Frac....and you'll see me with the top down better be early on Page extension 0530-0600.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer
Come over by me Frac....and you'll see me with the top down better be early on Page extension 0530-0600.
Not really and image I wanted in my head Eric...

OH! you mean the car!

Good for you Erzer. BTW hows your relationship with the autostick coming along? You were lookin' good there on MO 19

roadster with a stick

Quick Reply: Cool, Crisp and Raw