Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convt and coupe difference.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convt and coupe difference.

I'm working on a convt and I had to get a door from a coupe to repair some damage. I know the glass is different, but does anyone know of any other important differences I should know about? I'm hoping to just swap out the glass. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Default Re: Convt and coupe difference.

All right! I posted this thread a while back and apparently, noone had any info pertaining to the issue.

So, I get a new convertible side glass, remove the coupe glass from the door, install the new glass (very expensive mind you), only snug the two bolts (front bolt is to a "clamp" and rear bolt is through the glass and brackets), I get up and walk over to my tool cart, lay down my ratchet, and BANG!
I swing around expecting a masked gunman, but only find my new glass ALL OVER THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I end up with a major backache from the quick ninja like move I made when it happened, the hurt in my wallet, and now the dealership is trying to get one from Michigan (still at a hefty price). I had only snugged the two bolts, the key was out, the window raised into position to gain access to the two bolts, no cycling of the regulator, door was open the whole time, and there was noone else around but me (and I have yet to find any bullet holes in my garage walls).

So here we go again. Needless to say, I have looked an looked for anything that may have put the glass under stress, I cannot find anything or any reason why it happened, and I am deathly afraid to install the next glass when it comes in.

Any suggestions, or ideas?
Better yet, does anyone have a diagram of the assembly (coupe and/or convertible) that may show any differences?
Any ideas and information will be greatly appreciated, especially considering the investment here.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a service manual for 2004, which should be very close, on the Forum site. Do a search for service manuals. I found out that the wiring harness is different from the coupe to the roadster a month or so ago. The hole the bolt went through did not have any kind of groumet ? I would have thought it would have had one either made into the glass or one that goes around the bolt that you put on. I'm like you, thought the glass was the same on both.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM

There is a "bracket" that encased the location of the hole on the glass. There is first a plastic piece that snaps over the glass and provides a "grommet" in the hole, though it is just hard plastic, and then there is the metal piece that slides over the plastic that has an elongated hole for some adjustability.
I just got around to vacuuming all of the $365 glass out of the door shell and came across a green colored "wedge" piece. Not sure where it came from, and I did not see it when the glass was mounted. Maybe someone can shed some light on this piece in particular.

I'll see if I can find that manual. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, But wouldn't your "comprehensive" insurance have taken care of the whole thing? The glass, and the installation?
I have zero deductible on mine, and thankfully I've never had to use it on the XF, but I have had numerous broken windows over the years (on other vehicles) and they never cost me anything.
Just sayin........

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by yodaforce
There is a "bracket" that encased the location of the hole on the glass. There is first a plastic piece that snaps over the glass and provides a "grommet" in the hole, though it is just hard plastic, and then there is the metal piece that slides over the plastic that has an elongated hole for some adjustability.
I just got around to vacuuming all of the $365 glass out of the door shell and came across a green colored "wedge" piece. Not sure where it came from, and I did not see it when the glass was mounted. Maybe someone can shed some light on this piece in particular.

I'll see if I can find that manual. Thanks.
The angle that the glass is at is probably different in the coupe and the roadster and the curve of the glass is probably different as well.
The window tilt angle is adjusted at the bottom of the door by two bolts that are accessed by removing the two plastic plugs.
I suspect that with the glass sitting in the window regulator frame, which would be adjusted for the coupe glass shape and sitting in the fixed slot at the top of the door that the glass would be under a bit of stress when the glass attaching bolts were tightened.
This glass does not take stress too well, it may take it for a while but the stresses in the glass will eventually relieve themselves in a spectacular fashion as you heard.
I would suggest loosening the adjustment bolts at the bottom of the door and making sure that the glass is tightened without any forced adjustment to the glass curvature.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Just curious, But wouldn't your "comprehensive" insurance have taken care of the whole thing? The glass, and the installation?
I have zero deductible on mine, and thankfully I've never had to use it on the XF, but I have had numerous broken windows over the years (on other vehicles) and they never cost me anything.
Just sayin........
This Crossfire was a t-bone victim with it's last owner, but still a very good and repairable car. It was purchased at an insurance auction last year and we have been getting all the parts together to finish it off. You cannot even tell it was ever in an accident now (with the exception of the branded title of course), but it's not to build/sell, it's built to enjoy so the title doesn't matter much. Can't beat the price either, even after the expensive window mishap. Crossfires are a tough fix because the way Mercedes builds their cars. Everything is welded and glued together so usually, stripping them down is the hardest part, next to welding and gluing them back together the same as they were built, everything down to getting the spot welds the same and seam sealer close to resembling the original form. This is what I do.

Thanks for the adjustment advice. I had looked at your same thread earlier and saved it for reference. I am going to loosen everything up a bit before trying again. I wish I could buy window insurance for this next time. Lol. Needless to say, it will be a careful/nervous install.