Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Cold Air Intake???

Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake???

(Not my car, but thinking about doing my intake like this) Would this work just as well? If so, Would I leave my stock filters in the engine cover or take them out for better air flow? Orrrr should it be place right behind my grill?

Image Credit: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3118898/2004-chrysler-crossfire

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31188980011_large.jpg (222.7 KB, 423 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Cold Air Intake???

You will be sucking hot air into the TB with an end result of less HP.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM

So if I did take this route, they should b placed directly behind my grill and remove stock filters to gain HP or should I just go aftermarket?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've experimented a lot with the intake the last couple of years and my car definitely performs better with the filters outside the engine bay (in front of the radiator). You can make the intake yourself like I did or go aftermarket. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
I've experimented a lot with the intake the last couple of years and my car definitely performs better with the filters outside the engine bay (in front of the radiator). You can make the intake yourself like I did or go aftermarket. Good luck.
Thermal coated etc. Is that just bogus or worth paying for?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
The air velocity is fast so it won't get heated anyways?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM
PNA

The Needswings set up seems to be one of the favorite aftermarket set ups. Other members have set up their own. Either way, if your change the set up the filters should be located just behind the grill otherwise I expect you'll experience heat soak. While there are issues with it being just behind the grill (getting wet from rain), it's the proper placement.

I think the diameter, the texture / coating and the low restriction filters in combo are all important in maximizing the benefits of the intake so if you design one yourself, those are factors that you need to consider.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Well I'm new to all performance upgrades, so I'm learning as I go...

How about this set up?

NeedsWings Cold Air Intake System: NeedsWings Crossfire Naturally Aspirated Cold Air Intake System

Matrix Air Filter: (Seems like this filter would be good against rain when placed in front of the radiator) Matrix Air Filters - Tornado I (Red) for 03-up Chrysler Crossfire at Andy's Auto Sport

Any Idea's for me, PLEASE feel free! I really could use some guidance (Pix and URL's would also be nice )

Attached Images
xfnacaigray.jpg (63.8 KB, 258 views)
matr_10-041.jpg (88.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by XfireDvr
Well I'm new to all performance upgrades, so I'm learning as I go...

How about this set up?

NeedsWings Cold Air Intake System: NeedsWings Crossfire Naturally Aspirated Cold Air Intake System

Matrix Air Filter: (Seems like this filter would be good against rain when placed in front of the radiator) Matrix Air Filters - Tornado I (Red) for 03-up Chrysler Crossfire at Andy's Auto Sport

Any Idea's for me, PLEASE feel free! I really could use some guidance (Pix and URL's would also be nice )
Check out an earlier thread I started this week about K and N Airfilters. It has a couple pictures of some set-ups.

As far as the needs wings, that's what I'm planning on adding, however I'm planning on installing the dual air intakes. The link you have is to the single, which they say is plenty sufficient, but the dual set up looks better and adds greater flow, which they themselves say is overkill.

As far as the filters link, it looks cool but I don't see any specs nor to I really know if they are completely compatible. I put in the K and N OEM type replacements which are rated at 1/3 higher airfow than the OEMs, without having to modify. Anyway, I think what you end up with will be a matter of your personal choice. Just do it with as much info as you can -- and of course if you are targeting HP, then make sure you do the mods in proper sequence so they can be matched.

Have fun.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM

I think I will just go with the NeedsWings Cold Air Intake System... simple & efficient

Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I will just go with the NeedsWings Cold Air Intake System... simple & efficient
Good decision! You will love it.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

It is not bogus. But, the benefits are small for the effort.
The only time you will notice a difference is when you are standing at idle in traffic. The engine heat will heat the pipes.

That heat transfers to the intake air.

Now, when on a drag strip will you be standing still in the summer heat , on hot pavement, cooking the intake air when you least wanted to do that?

roadster with a stick

Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Anything will eventually reach the ambient temperature, the rate that it rises will depend on the insulation. However in the case of an intake it will be cooled somewhat by the cool air entering it when the car is running and the rate will depend on the air flow .

Is it worth it? Who knows, it all depends on your take on it and your wallet, or credit card.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Anything will eventually reach the ambient temperature, the rate that it rises will depend on the insulation. However in the case of an intake it will be cooled somewhat by the cool air entering it when the car is running and the rate will depend on the air flow .

Is it worth it? Who knows, it all depends on your take on it and your wallet, or credit card.
correct.

My original; install ad the aluminum intake settingg directly on the rithg bank valve cover. I could literaly feel the engine losing power as I waited at a stop light. Revving the engine cooled it down.

Mostly went away when I lifted the intake off by about an inch. Not sure how much would be gained by fabricating a heat shield. Much less if it would be worth the effort and costs.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM

it will increase the air flow only because of the high filter filters but at the same time the stock components are still on so it will limit the amount of air entering the throttle body id suggest ousting the stock and getting some pipe a few elbows and creating ur own cai if u need tips let me know its simple

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 PM

even with a cai the heat from the engine will warm up the air inside the intake regardless the only thing with a cai is it speeds up the process of the air entering the throttle body which dosent take as long as stock... and with better airflow entering the engine on a cool night when its 67 u can feel the difference but when its 100 outside unless u add one of those contraptions that cools the air entering the air intake the temp of the air will pretty much be +-10 degrees of the outside temp
(Not my car, but thinking about doing my intake like this) Would this work just as well? If so, Would I leave my stock filters in the engine cover or take them out for better air flow? Orrrr should it be place right behind my grill?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM

it wont yield any horsepower like that unless u loosen up ur muffler anyway itd pretty much be like a overflowing sink slowly draining water do u still have ur stock air filters on

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM

I haven't put any performance upgrades on yet. I'm trying to figure out what to get and how to apply it to make my car better.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 PM

As fast as our cars suck in the air, it doesn't matter. I painted mine super hot black!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
As fast as our cars suck in the air, it doesn't matter. I painted mine super hot black!
Remember-black sheds heat as well as absorbing it!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake???