CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   new top issue (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/79282-new-top-issue.html)

ZERACER 11-16-2018 06:13 PM

new top issue

I think I have a new top issue. My top goes up just fine. When I go to put it down, I unlatch the top- and the windows go down. the light is on, on the top switch, steady red light. When I press the top down button I get a beep and no sound. The trunk divider is up and set. I wouldn't think the top would go up if that switch was defective but ??? If I manually put it down it will go back up just fine with the switch. The fluid is at the max. level. Does anyone have any suggestiond on what to try? Thanks in advance for any help.

ala_xfire 11-16-2018 06:47 PM

Re: new top issue

Sounds like a broken or stuck top raised switch. ( just above the passenger's right ear )

KeithTexas 11-16-2018 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 915143)
Sounds like a broken or stuck top raised switch. ( just above the passenger's right ear )

I agree. That’s the same thing my top is doing. I have to reach over and touch the switch above the passenger’s head so that it pops out. After I do that, the top goes down. I’m going to tackle that switch one of these days.

ZERACER 11-17-2018 10:47 AM

If it is that switch, would the top still go up with no problem?

ZERACER 11-17-2018 12:37 PM

Moving the switch on the passenger side did not help, any other ideas?

ala_xfire 11-17-2018 12:54 PM

Not without getting the old meter/circuit probe out, no.
( you can bypass ( short out ) both switches to eliminate them. )
And yes, both are only functional on top down.

ZERACER 11-17-2018 05:19 PM

A quick update. After sitting overnight it finally went down however it goes through the process until the top starts going up to retract, moves about 12 inches and stops. If I push the button again, it goes another 12 inches and stops. If I continue to keep pushing the button, after about 4 starts and stops it finally goes over the top and goes the rest of the way down. I am baffled !!!!

ala_xfire 11-17-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 915179)
A quick update. After sitting overnight it finally went down however it goes through the process until the top starts going up to retract, moves about 12 inches and stops. If I push the button again, it goes another 12 inches and stops. If I continue to keep pushing the button, after about 4 starts and stops it finally goes over the top and goes the rest of the way down. I am baffled !!!!

Fluid level is OK ?

ZERACER 11-18-2018 10:17 AM

Yes. the fluid is fine. I wonder if disconnecting the battery for awhile and letting it reset might help?

ala_xfire 11-18-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 915185)
Yes. the fluid is fine. I wonder if disconnecting the battery for awhile and letting it reset might help?

Couldn,'t hurt to try, you never know :)

ZERACER 11-19-2018 10:57 AM

The saga continues. What actually controls he top? Now when I unlatch from the windshield the windows only go down about 4 inches and stop. If I push the button to lower the top the windows go the rest of the way down and the top releases and goes up about 6 inches and stops. If I push the button again and push up on the top it moves about another 5 inches and stops. If I push the button again while pushing up one the top it will go the rest of the way up and over. Something has to be signaling the top that something is wrong? It may have to do with the windows not going all of the way down but I don't know. Perhaps a top sensor or ??? Where does the info from all of the sensors go and what signals the top pump to actuate?
Thanks for and info shared

KeithTexas 11-19-2018 11:16 AM

That’s pretty strange. Can you hear if the pump is continuing to work when you get a stoppage?

It seems like a long-shot, but could the switch in the center console be intermittent while you hold it down? Did anyone do the single-touch modification for that switch? Maybe that’s acting up?

Strange.

ZERACER 11-19-2018 11:41 AM

No, the pump stops until I push the button again. No modifications to the switch. I would say the switch is a possibility except it stops at the same spots each time.

ZERACER 11-25-2018 05:30 PM

Still having the same problem. Does anyone think it may have to do with not enough tension on the top when retracting? Is there any way to test the tension cables?

ZERACER 11-30-2018 11:01 AM

Does anyone think calling Top Hydraulics might help?

ZERACER 12-04-2018 04:40 PM

This car is driving me absolutely nuts. I have been manually putting my top down and have been able to put it up using the switch. Today I went to put the top down manually and the bow will not fully release. When I turn the wrench clockwise the release makes the popping sound and the bow comes up about 1/2 inch but when I try to lift up, it will not come up any more. If this car wasn't so beautiful and didn't run so great, I would get rid of it. These tops can be very frustrating. Does anyone know what me be causing this and what I might do to unlatch it?
THANKS

ZERACER 12-05-2018 11:25 AM

BUMP!!! any ideas folks?

Valk 12-05-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
BUMP!!! any ideas folks?

I certainly hope someone here can help you.
I Purchased a Roadster this year in the spring and dread running into problems such as yours.
Of course most know I had a Coupe for 11 years.
During that time I rarely read or paid much attention to the problems in the threads that Roadster owners had thinking I have a Coupe and I don't need to worry about that
I pay much more attention to threads now regarding Roadsters

KeithTexas 12-05-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 915784)
BUMP!!! any ideas folks?

Hi. I'm assuming you're following pizzaguy's procedure. I think I had the same issue about a year ago. Here's a cut-and-paste from a post I made back in January 2018:

I am one of those folks who bought a Crossfire with a non-automatically working top (2005 model). Thanks to Pizzaguy’s instructions, it’s been easy to manually raise and lower the top as I go through different tests to figure out what’s wrong. Someday I’ll find the switch or cylinder that isn’t working.

Today, I started the Pizzaguy procedure to lower the top manually and when I turned the hex key, I heard a click but the bow latch would not release the bow for me to manually lift it. It released it partially. But that’s all. By turning the hex key the other direction, the bow latch mechanism would tighten the bow back down.

But after trying unsuccessfully to fully unlatch the bow, I finally unscrewed the bow latch (four 30mm torx screws) and lowered the bow latch mechanism. I tried “exercising” it but it was not releasing the catch. All of the parts were pretty dry so I used some Phil’s waterproof bicycle grease that I had handy. After that, the latch would click and “re-cock” properly. I screwed it back into place, turned the hex key, unlatched the bow, dropped the top, and got in a January ride with the top down in Austin, Texas. Sure is easier to do things when there are so many folks who share how the Crossfire works.

ZERACER 12-05-2018 03:10 PM

Thank you sir, I will try removing it. These top can be very confusing when they get messed up.