CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/85785-uk-roadster-thread-drilling-into-trunk.html)

Haydyn 03-16-2023 09:12 AM

UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

MODERATOR NOTE: This is a thread about the specific differences in the trunk lock security system in the UK. The configuration of the car's Trunk in the UK is unlike any other. It is not yet known if this a UK, or a UK/EU issue at this time. Read the entire thread when you have time, to avoid being as ignorant as we were when this was first posted. We all learned something in the posts that follow.

I am completely locked-out of the trunk / boot on my UK 04 right hand drive Roadster with a soggy pump!
I have no access to the pneumatic lock via the ‘tag’ / ‘reg’ lights due to an ‘anti-theft’ plate.

QUESTION: If I sacrifice the rear Chrysler emblem by drilling a hole big enough to get a tool in…can I see the pneumatic lock mechanism so I can move it and unlock????

Is there any access via the latch?

If anyone has their trunk panel off… could you send me a photo of the centre of the Chrysler emblem from the inside?

Would really appreciate some help here guys…it’s driving me nuts!!!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...fcc18676d.jpeg

amx1397 03-16-2023 11:38 AM

re: UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

I don't know where the line is on the roadster but look under the carpet next to the door (or maybe ask a mechanic in the dealer (10 euro to him) he could tell you where the vac line going back to the trunk (boot) is.. if u find that line cut it (u can put fitting in later for repair) you can get a little air compressor like the one in the trunk i don't remember which it goes pressure opens or vac opens the trunk this way you destroy nothing. if u have a manual look it up or maybe someone state side could find it hope this helps jim

Valk 03-16-2023 02:10 PM

You can access the release somehow by going into one of the openings where your license plate lights are once you remove one of them
DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397 (Post 977481)
I don't know where the line is on the roadster but look under the carpet next to the door (or maybe ask a mechanic in the dealer (10 euro to him) he could tell you where the vac line going back to the trunk (boot) is.. if u find that line cut it (u can put fitting in later for repair) you can get a little air compressor like the one in the trunk i don't remember which it goes pressure opens or vac opens the trunk this way you destroy nothing. if u have a manual look it up or maybe someone state side could find it hope this helps jim

No, Jim. The pump is in the cavity in the trunk, below the trim. In a Roadster, this line goes up the wheel well and into the trunk lid at the passenger side hinge - there is no way to access it.
Also, if the electric lock is his issue , that won't help anyway. The electric lock slide a cam in place to stop the bottom from moving.

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Haydyn (Post 977474)
I am completely locked-out of the trunk / boot on my UK 04 right hand drive Roadster with a soggy pump!
I have no access to the pneumatic lock via the ‘tag’ / ‘reg’ lights due to an ‘anti-theft’ plate

I have NEVER heard of this, even in the UK/EU.

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 02:37 PM

The EU/UK crowd better to the electric trunk lock disable TODAY if this is 'normal' over there.

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Valk (Post 977485)
You can access the release somehow by going into one of the openings where your license plate lights are once you remove one of them
DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING

His video shows a plate in the way.

VERY ODD, I have no answer.

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 02:48 PM

I have altered a friend in the UK who might have insight.

bmccubbin 03-16-2023 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Haydyn (Post 977474)
I have no access to the pneumatic lock via the ‘tag’ / ‘reg’ lights due to an ‘anti-theft’ plate.

QUESTION: If I sacrifice the rear Chrysler emblem by drilling a hole big enough to get a tool in…can I see the pneumatic lock mechanism so I can move it and unlock????

Is there any access via the latch?

If anyone has their trunk panel off… could you send me a photo of the centre of the Chrysler emblem from the inside?

Would really appreciate some help here guys…it’s driving me nuts!!!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...fcc18676d.jpeg

Can you provide a picture of the anti-theft plate the blocks access to the license plate lights.
Are you sure it's the pneumatic lock and not the Secondary Electric Lock that has the trunk lid locked.

There is a simple backdoor method to unlock the trunk, try this first before trying to release the locking arm through the right license plate light opening.I would try the following instructions before attempting to drill into the trunk lid.
With the ignition “On” press the “Top Down “ button. While holding the button turn off ignition and hold button 10 seconds. Trunk should unlock.

amx1397 03-16-2023 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 977486)
No, Jim. The pump is in the cavity in the trunk, below the trim. In a Roadster, this line goes up the wheel well and into the trunk lid at the passenger side hinge - there is no way to access it.
Also, if the electric lock is his issue , that won't help anyway. The electric lock slide a cam in place to stop the bottom from moving.

mark i had a trunk locked, I pulled the headliner down just enough to get to the lines. (per Rudy) the vac lines were right above the window under the headliner i cut the line and plugged into my a little compressor , vac opened and pressure closed the pump was under water jim

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397 (Post 977493)
mark i had a trunk locked, I pulled the headliner down just enough to get to the lines. (per Rudy) the vac lines were right above the window under the headliner i cut the line and plugged into my a little compressor , vac opened and pressure closed the pump was under water jim

BUt ya cant get to that in a Roadster, we don't have a headliner and none of our lines go overhead. :)

Haydyn 03-16-2023 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bmccubbin (Post 977491)
Can you provide a picture of the anti-theft plate the blocks access to the license plate lights.
Are you sure it's the pneumatic lock and not the Secondary Electric Lock that has the trunk lid locked.

There is a simple backdoor method to unlock the trunk, try this first before trying to release the locking arm through the right license plate light opening.I would try the following instructions before attempting to drill into the trunk lid.
With the ignition “On” press the “Top Down “ button. While holding the button turn off ignition and hold button 10 seconds. Trunk should unlock.

Thanks for the reply but this is the problem…check out my video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXY7YEczghg&t=15s

pizzaguy 03-16-2023 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Haydyn (Post 977507)
Thanks for the reply but this is the problem…check out my video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXY7YEczghg&t=15s

1) You did not answer Bob, did you try the button technique he suggested? That is a built-in safeguard they gave us, one that I keep forgetting exists.

2) You have posted in several threads for the same issue, it's getting hard to follow what is going on but I will try one more time: Remind me, when you press the lever, I Know you can't get the trunk to open, but tell us this: Is the lever "STIFF" and wont move? Or is the leverloose and floppy and moves but does not trigger the latch?
THis is a fundamental question:

If the lever is STIFF, it's the electric lock operated by the TPMS.
If the lever is floppy, its the pneumatic lock.

This tells us what we are fighting: An activated electric lock or an issue with the CLP/SSM.

bmccubbin 03-17-2023 03:13 AM

It looks to me that with the camera scope you are looking above the area that you need to be for the locking mechanism. When inserting the camera, you want to look horizontally to the left or right of the light unit opening, depending on which opening you are looking from.
When you go through the left side license plate light opening, you see a yellow tubing, that goes to the pneumatic lock on the trunk lid. If it's the pneumatic lock that's the issue, then you could cut that tubing, as far to the left as possible, and then pull it out through the access opening and either blow or suck on the open end of the tubing. This should lock and unlock the trunk lid.
As I commented earlier today, if it's the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Module that has the trunk lid locked, then you need to do the following.
There is a simple backdoor method to unlock the trunk, try this first before trying to release the locking arm through the right/left license plate light openings.With the ignition “On” press the “Top Down “ button. While holding the button turn off ignition and hold button 10 seconds. Trunk should unlock.

Haydyn 03-17-2023 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by bmccubbin (Post 977491)

Have tried that, no response from the button because the roof has not fully closed so she’s in self protection mode. I need to manually finish the roof cycle. Easy if you can get in the trunk.

Haydyn 03-17-2023 06:03 AM

Apologies for posting in different areas, still getting my head around the forum.

It’s the electronic lock, not the pneumatic.

The plate is welded so you cannot go underneath.

Does anyone know if the Chrysler emblem is bolted in place or just stuck on?

Haydyn 03-17-2023 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 977511)
1) You did not answer Bob, did you try the button technique he suggested? That is a built-in safeguard they gave us, one that I keep forgetting exists.

2) You have posted in several threads for the same issue, it's getting hard to follow what is going on but I will try one more time: Remind me, when you press the lever, I Know you can't get the trunk to open, but tell us this: Is the lever "STIFF" and wont move? Or is the leverloose and floppy and moves but does not trigger the latch?
THis is a fundamental question:

If the lever is STIFF, it's the electric lock operated by the TPMS.
If the lever is floppy, its the pneumatic lock.

This tells us what we are fighting: An activated electric lock or an issue with the CLP/SSM.

It’s the electric lock, not the pneumatic.
Have tried the button process, no response.

pizzaguy 03-17-2023 01:01 PM

Yea, this is why we PREACH and PREACH to disable that lock before you have a problem. At our tech days, the lock disable is, perhaps, the most common thing done - mostly cause it's IMPORTANT and EASY.
I'm thinking the button procedure Bob talks about should work, this is a built in safety for times when the cycle does not complete on its own or was not completed by the driver.

I WISH I could find that thread here where the guy shows you the cam on the right, you take out the right plate light, and the cam is on the LEFT just inside the light opening. You CAN NOT see it because you can't 'bend your vision" and can only see it with the trunk lik OPEN where you can get the proper visual angle. VERY hard to figure out in your situation, but if you got the lid open and could LOOK in there, you'd see it.

pizzaguy 03-17-2023 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by bmccubbin (Post 977512)
It looks to me that with the camera scope you are looking above the area that you need to be for the locking mechanism. When inserting the camera, you want to look horizontally to the left or right of the light unit opening, depending on which opening you are looking from.

I know you are frustrated and getting angry, you are not the first, I was LOST back in 2009 when this happened to me - but try to NOT miss what he says here.

IN MY CASE: I snagged the emergency release cable with a steel coat hanger, made strait and then one end, I formed into a "J" hook, a SMALL J hook. I took out the LEFT light, put the coat hanger in about 8-9 inches with hook parralell to the lid I then rotated the hook 90 degrees and pulled it out, on about the third try, I snagged the emergency release cable and pulled - the lid popped open! :)

The cable runs from the latch to the LEFT where the handle is snapped into place. That handle cant move, so when you pull, the latch as to let go. Only fails IF the plastic arm on the emergency actuator breaks or has broken in the past, which happens, hence why we disable the electric lock before this happens! See my next post.

pizzaguy 03-17-2023 01:13 PM

The emergency release cable is in yellow, you have only about 3-4 inches where you can grab it, thru the left lens hole, using a "J" hook. :The BLUE arrow shows how you must aim a bit "to the right" as you go in with the J hook.

The RED arrow points to the cam to pop the trunk with a screwdriver.
You might want to read my "Trunk Lid Jammed" thread from 2009. You are NOT the only one to go thru this.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...f403ccf28f.jpg