Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Paddle Shift

Old 07-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shift

Its a huge disappointment that the SRT-6 is not available with a 6 speed. Where can somebody go to get a paddle shift? I could be wrong, but it would seem like an easy mod. Just bypass the sticks up and down shift and revert it to the paddles behind the wheel. Could it be as easy as that??

Old 07-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Paddle Shift

AlbertFattal,

My guess is that it would be an easy mod to perform if the paddle shift is available. I know that it is an easy mod on the BMW 3 Series and I almost did it myself before trading it in for the Crossfire. What made it easy on the BMW was that the paddle shift was already available as an OEM part and a DIY was posted on the 3 Series forum. Have you found a paddle shift that works with the Crossfire?

Kevin

Old 07-04-2006, 06:20 PM

i do not own an SRT-6, but a coupe rather. a few months ago i saw something on the forum about a company making a paddle shift kit that would work on the crossfire. maybe check out the past threads.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to transfer everything over from the SLK to get the shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel.
From there you could make a paddle shift setup but it would be costly and wouldn't be a big enough volume item for a manufacturer to tool up.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular

Doesn't the auto stick shift by tapping it right and left which then presses two metal pieces to send an electrical signal to the computer to tell it "hey, shift down!" Can't, you just run some sort of wire with that same tapping concept to the rear of the steering wheel? I wonder how far off I am about the whole shifting concept.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular

Albert,

Paddle shifters would be cool, but the attached thread contains many complaints from current SLK owners about the slow shift response from the paddle shifters. Maybe it is best to just use the autostick?

Kevin

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...e-shifter.html

Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 AM

I think paddle shifts would also be a great addition, but the operation of the auto stick is pretty flawless and very intelligent. Unlike the Tiptronic in my A8, it has WAY more smarts regarding where you are in the powerband before shifting in and out of automanual. My only complaint is the silly side-to-side motion! Why the heck couldn't they gate it and make it go to-and-fro instead of side-to-side when shifting? I am constantly shifting the Audi out of Tiptronic because I forget what car I'm in, go to up shift and slap it out of Tiptronic and into Drive! The reverse happens when I jump into the Xfire after I've been driving the Audi. Aaagghh!!

Old 07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think that's annoying, try driving the Crossfire 2,000 miles in two weeks and then jump back into an extended wheelbase 3/4 ton Dodge diesel that you've driven over a quarter million miles.

I was making turns too sharp for the truck (curb checks), reaching down for the shifter, looking for the center mounted window switches, and feeling like I was sitting way too high.
Kinda embarrassing.