Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

1K Review

Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1K Review

So I just hit the 1K mile mark on my new 2005 SRT Roadster. I figure it is time to provide some feedback for those of you who care. There have been many people on this board that have been helpful in guiding me along with the purchase.

Just a little history; I had been shopping for a car for well over a year. This car was not a necessity purchase, it was really a luxury. My other car is a 2002 WRX Sedan with around 70,000 mile on it. Here is the list of cars I was interested in; Audi A3, BMW 330i, BMW 335, Honda S2000, Volkswagen GTI, Impala SS, Nissan Z and Infinity G35. I test drove and seriously considered each one of them. In the end I was waiting for a BMW 335 Sedan. I just did not like the way BMW sales operated and disseminated information. For some reason I had time to kill one day and there was a Chrysler dealer close by. I stopped in peruse. Looked at all the red labeled cars and came across the Crossfires.They had an SRT Roadster, SRT Coupe and a standard Coupe. I liked the look of the roadster and was surprised when I looked at the horse power against and the discounted price. The discount of $51K to $36K got my attention. I did my research; shopping and test drive and bought the car.

So a thousand mile have passed. Here is my list of likes and dislikes:

• Looks – I much more favor the roadster to coup (personal preference). The car looks great from all angles, it is faceted everywhere. Aggressive but classy. It is well proportioned in my eyes.
  • When I drive, it does not feel like a small car, it is really solid. Turning radius is insane.
  • Automatic – This is the first automatic I’ve had in twenty years. The gearing works well. I like how it holds gears when I accelerate. It does not dropdown too early. What is cool is that this car can be a slow comfortable cruiser or a rocket. Just depends on your foot.
  • Manual Mode (whatever it is called). I’m starting to get used to this. It is not what I expected. I’ve driven the DSG system in the Audi and Volkswagen and they are just amazing. The manual mode in the crossfire is very slow to shift, I thought this was a problem until I realized that when accelerating from a start, even if I switched up a gear, the switch would not occur until I got peak power out of the gear I was in. Hard to describe, it is really not doing what I ask but doing the smart thing. I also hit some local windy roads for about of stretch of 25 miles. I’m talking about switchbacks where you can get no faster the 40 miles per hours. Just let the cars sit in second or third. There was so much torque it was just a pleasure.
  • Complements – they abound. I get stopped regularly at gas stations and shops. People have so many questions. Today, even a passing jogger yelled out about how nice the car looks.
  • Unique – Not many on the road. Feels good.
  • Convertible – first convertible I ever owned. Love it, cannot believe what I’ve been missing. Had the top down in 50 degree weather, no problem.
  • Seats – keep you in place, starting to fit like a glove. (not as good as the WRX).
  • Sound – I love it, sounds throaty without being annoying. Love the rumble when just cruising.
  • Easy to Clean – less surface area then my other cars, lower and easier to clean.
  • Radio – Decent for a stock radio. There are not enough good stations to fill all the preset.
  • Convertible mechanics – 20 seconds or so. Very easy to work.
  • Trunk is usable even with the top down (I can get my gym bag, computer bag and paper items all in).
  • Stock Headlights are bright and well directed.
  • Steering wheel feel.
  • Alarm on glove box.
  • Car warms up quickly.
  • Suspension - I know folks have talked about how hard the ride is, maybe coming from a WRX has hardened me up but I find the stiffness of the ride to be acceptable and expected. There is very little body lean and the car handles as if it is on rails.
  • Traction control – turned it off one day, I learned my lesson.
Dislikes:
  • Doors are flimsy – I can creak the door by just placing my elbow on it. Bass for radio easily vibrates the door. Creaking from door under heavily acceleration.
  • Plastic on the central panel – Chrysler should be ashamed of themselves for a car of this price. I’m sure after a few years wear marks will appear.
  • Although I’m getting used to it, stalk placement is weird.
  • Light switch is difficult to turn.
  • Ignition switch has a lot of give.
  • Environmental controls are confusing.
  • Should have auto temp for the price.
  • Dual zone is okay, but no easy way just to turn off just one side.
  • Steering, pretty good but not anywhere near BMW territory.
  • I know I’m asking a lot from a 2005 radio, but I need integrated SAT radio.
  • A multi CD player should be included in the cost.
  • Center Panel lighting is not bright enough (even at full brightness).
  • The jury is out on gas mileage, so far it is abysmal.
  • Blind spots –with the top up where are some mighty big blind spots.
Dealer:
  • Should have replaced the recall for fan module before delivering the car, now I need to bring it back in.
  • Got my address wrong on a DMV, Financing and Service Contract information.
  • Ripped me off for $500. They delayed the closing of the car one day so they could collect on an additional $500 incentive that should have came back to me.
  • Was really unknowledgeable about the car.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: 1K Review

Rickyms, good review. Your very last point was excellent. Dealers and techs don't know much about car. I feel like the guinea pig. One plus, they are as impressed with the car as we are. I've gotten alot of freebees because of that.

Suggestion: I will start a new thread regarding dealers. I haven't seen one yet and am surprised, have you??

Old 10-04-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by roncosrt6

Rickyms, good review. Your very last point was excellent. Dealers and techs don't know much about car. I feel like the guinea pig. One plus, they are as impressed with the car as we are. I've gotten alot of freebees because of that.

Suggestion: I will start a new thread regarding dealers. I haven't seen one yet and am surprised, have you??
I really hated purchasing from that dealer but that model in that color and at the price was very limited in the 300 or so mile radius that I was willing to shop around in.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular

Good review. Check the radio mod that is a simple, inexpensive fix. It will help with the bass.
The squeaks in the window or door panel have been adjusted as well. Do a search for this on the boards. Some people have removed the door panel and inserted some foam to help with the rattling.

The $500 rip off is a sin. That is not the car's fault, obviously. I'd raise cain with the dealer on that one!

Have you considered the illuminated door sills? This is a great mod and worth the $$.

Check the thread out on the sprint boosters. This is a great add-on for your SRT.

No car is perfect. I have very few complaints. I do wish the weather would be more cooperative so I could keep my top down more often.

Brake Dust is a pain, but I just bought Rotex brake pads and that should cut down on that.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review!

One question for the forum comes to mind. Since this is not the first time I've seen someone complain about the doors, are the doors of the roadster different from the coupe?

I find my coupe's doors to be very solid. Not flimsy feeling at all and no speaker associated vibration whatsoever.