Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

benz dealer vs. chrysler dealers

Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default benz dealer vs. chrysler dealers

Has anyone taking their car to a benz dealer to get fixed? I know all Dodge and Chrysler dealers can work on all lines, not sure about the benz line, so was wondering if benz can fix Chryslers since they are a benz.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: benz dealer vs. chrysler dealers

its a no go...

Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any reason why they can't? What's wrong with your car??

Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure they will work on it. The question is will they do warranty work. That a great question. I will give the MB dealer a call tomorrow and ask.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular

Based on my lengthy experience with problems I had with my car and actually finding a Mercedes service manager that tried to assist me, I can tell you that a Mercedes dealer will gladly work on your car, however they will NOT do warranty work. If you want to spend money then go for it, however they will not treat you like you have true Mercedes. Even though its the first DC and Mercedes car, its still seen as a Chrysler by true Mercedes dealers.

Now mind you, a Mercedes dealer may assist you in finding problems due to sharing the SLK engine (I got lucky!), but understand that no matter what you say or do, they will not acknowledge that it's a Mercedes in anyway - as far as they are concerned, its a Chrysler point blank.

No matter how you approach DC, your warranty is with DC and not Mercedes. If you want a headache, try it... but if not, find a reputable DC dealer in your area and let them perform the warranty work.

As much as that may suck, its reality until DC decides otherwise.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM

Even if you did take it to a Benz dealer aren't they going to charge MB labor instead of DC would?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

I guess the best thing to do is to get the problem diagnosed and the solution from a MB dealer.

Once you have this info, take it back to the Chrysler dealer and make them repair it based on the warranty. Hopefully they can do this once they know what the problem is and how they can fix it.

You may have to shell out some cash for MB to have a look at it though. Hopefully it won’t be a lot.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Forum Regular

I almost got suckered into buying the extended warranty but I am glad that I held off. When I went to my credit union (San Diego County Credit Union) they offered me a universal warranty that is accepted by all ASE certified mechanics for about the same cost of the DC warranty. You guys might want to consider refinancing with a credit union and take them up that deal. It was $1,400 bucks with a $100 dollar deductible (there were several other plans but this one fit me the best). This is for 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. I can have as many claims as I need too (hopefully this won't be needed though).

Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by msheredy
I almost got suckered into buying the extended warranty but I am glad that I held off. When I went to my credit union (San Diego County Credit Union) they offered me a universal warranty that is accepted by all ASE certified mechanics for about the same cost of the DC warranty. You guys might want to consider refinancing with a credit union and take them up that deal. It was $1,400 bucks with a $100 dollar deductible (there were several other plans but this one fit me the best). This is for 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. I can have as many claims as I need too (hopefully this won't be needed though).
Still best to check the fine print on all the aftermarket warranties. Any limitations to covered parts and usage of non-DCX parts (not that it may be possible). And, it's hard to find a general ASE certified mechanic that knows much about the Crossfire except at Chrysler... and even then, only a few dealers seemed to have trained techs on the Xfire. But hey, if it works for ya, go for it. We paid a bit more ($500) for DCX coverage, but we get a rental car for the entire period the car is in service... worked out great since any repair seems to take 2 days at least, mainly due to parts acquisition time.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cudaman
Still best to check the fine print on all the aftermarket warranties. Any limitations to covered parts and usage of non-DCX parts (not that it may be possible). And, it's hard to find a general ASE certified mechanic that knows much about the Crossfire except at Chrysler... and even then, only a few dealers seemed to have trained techs on the Xfire. But hey, if it works for ya, go for it. We paid a bit more ($500) for DCX coverage, but we get a rental car for the entire period the car is in service... worked out great since any repair seems to take 2 days at least, mainly due to parts acquisition time.
Which is why I will take my car to a Mercedes service department. I am pretty confident that they will know more about that car than the service techs at Chrysler. I too get a rental car/trip interruption/emergency tow and quite a few other goodies. The best thing about the universal warranty is in the case where you aren't around a Chrysler dealer you aren't out of luck.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular

Which is why I will take my car to a Mercedes service department. I am pretty confident that they will know more about that car than the service techs at Chrysler. I too get a rental car/trip interruption/emergency tow and quite a few other goodies. The best thing about the universal warranty is in the case where you aren't around a Chrysler dealer you aren't out of luck.
Well if that's the case, then post up a link where others can get this same warranty. I'm sure others would be interested in getting either new coverage or additional coverage as their car ages (on a pro-rated basis of course) as their DCX standard warranty expires

Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

Well if that's the case, then post up a link where others can get this same warranty. I'm sure others would be interested in getting either new coverage, or additional coverage as their car ages (on a pro-rated basis of course) as their DCX standard warranty expires.
I financed my car through San Diego Country Credit Union (here is California) so I'm not sure you can simply buy a warranty without financing a car through them as well.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular

I financed my car through San Diego Country Credit Union (here is California) so I'm not sure you can simply buy a warranty without financing a car through them as well.
Well, at least they can check on it... Credit Unions don't carry the policy... Most likely done through a third party... and, as with most insurance companies... If you have money and want a policy, someone will sell you a policy... See if you can dig up a bit more of the actual insurance carrier and see if they can be contacted directly or possible though other finance firms... Cash talks if they will provide a similar policy.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular

Well, at least they can check on it... Credit Unions don't carry the policy... Most likely done through a third party... and, as with most insurance companies... If you have money and want a policy, someone will sell you a policy... See if you can dig up a bit more of the actual insurance carrier and see if they can be contacted directly, or possible though other finance firms... Cash talks if they will provide a similar policy.
Will do...

Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Forum Regular

The insurance company is called Standard Guaranty Insurance Company. Their admin offices are at 400 Carillon Parkway, Suite 300 St. Petersburg, FL 33716.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 AM

In St. Louis most MB shops don't want the Chrysler in their service department. And if you think your Chrysler dealer charges a lot for an oil change (I do my own) wait till you get the bill at the Benz dealer!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

Which is why I will take my car to a Mercedes service department. I am pretty confident that they will
know more about that car than the service techs at Chrysler.
Originally Posted by stlxfire
In St. Louis most MB shops don't want the Chrysler in their service department. And if you think your
Chrysler dealer charges a lot for an oil change (I do my own) wait till you get the bill at the Benz dealer!
msheredy... good luck finding one. Do a search for more information, much has been written on the subject...

stlxfire... You are correct, most MB dealerships AND many independent MB shops want nothing to do with
the Crossfire. I feel lucky to have found an independent MB shop that will work on my car at a reasonable price.
They do not mind when I bring in my own oil. They provide the (fleece) filter and charge me $35.95 for an
oil change.

Last edited by ben47; 01-05-2007 at 12:19 PM.