Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Disaster at the Miami drags

Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disaster at the Miami drags

We had 4 SRT6's at County Drags tonight. Mine, Ashley's, AMX Jim and Tray (sp) came down from Palm Bch. Jim was the first to arrive and had already met Tom with G8. Tom had already made a couple of good runs before we got there.

This is when things got a going. Since Jim's SRT is a little faster than mine, he and Tom would race first. I was in line right behind them. Jim was in the left lane and Tom with the G8 on the right. They both hit the accelerator when the 3rd yellow light went off. They both got off the line when Jim's SRT began to slide. The rear end went to the right and the nose decided to go to the left towards the cement barriers.

Now I know you are thinking that the traction control would take over and straighten the XF out and there would no problem........... Well it didn't quite happen that way and the SRT under the guidence of a very experienced driver of 30 years was not able to keep the his SRT pointed in the right direction and he kissed the barrier with the front left nose of the SRT.

Needless to say the SRT got a bloody nose. Jim was ok other then his ego being bruised. His first phone call was to his wife. Her first question was are you allright. Her fisrt comment was "I guess you will be getting that gray SRT that you really want.

Back to the G8.

Since Jim was out of the picture we decided that Tom with the G8 and I would race each other. I won't go through all the details of the result numbers, but both the G8 and my SRT are virtually idenical. It came down to who got off the line better. We raced three time. I actually got off the line better 2 out of our 3 runs. The 2nd run he hit .555 and I watched him take off ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

His G8 and my SRT time comparisons were less than .05 apart on every run. Who won was strictly determined by the difference of whose reaction time was better. Yea I won 2 out of 3, but his G8's times were actually slightly better than mine on each run even though I was declared the winner based on the fact that I crossed the finish line first.

As for Ashley, she raced 3 or 4 times. It took a little to convince Tray to race. He has only had his SRT for a month but he ran against Ashley twice and did pretty good. He's hooked and I am sure he'll be back for more. His first XF met with a ditch and was totaled. He is 17 and going to college in Palm Bch.

We had a lot of fun tonight. I'm glad Jim did not get hurt and I have no doubt that he will have a graphite SRT in the near future.

PS I need to get my ECU redone. I need that extra .05 seconds.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 10-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Disaster at the Miami drags

LETS SEE THE PICS glade you had fun tough loss on the SRT front end

Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
LETS SEE THE PICS glade you had fun tough loss on the SRT front end
I am sure Jim will post some pictures Thrursday.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear about the 'owie' Jim. Hope it's not too bad, or bad 'enough', depending on what you want.(Did I hear something about a Gray SRT6??)

Good representation with the G8 Randy.

We want pics.

MikeR

Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. After adding the pulley I've only raced one time without my drag radials. I actually have it on video tape almost hitting the wall. That was the car spinning mid track when shifting into 3rd. Never have ran with stocks again. Some tracks are just prepped great, and then some that are just dangerous. If you must run with stocks, do a dry burnout after driving around the water.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about Jim's car and I'm glad he's ok. By the way, what kind of times and speeds were you running? Close to 12's at least?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 AM

Sorry to hear about the 6 Jim. That just plain sucks!! What really gets me is, how they run a RACE TRACK that is that dangerous?!? WTF? Seriously, lets face it. There are much more powerful street moblies that are faster then our cars. If our cars have that much trouble getting traction to a point where you hit walls, that is a BIG problem! I can't imagine something with some serious power is going to do! I would steer clear of that track from now on. I would also question the managment and see what they do to prepare a RACE TRACK!! Obviously nothing.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the name/location of that track? Do they have a website?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Wow, sorry to hear about Jim's car and I'm glad he's ok. By the way, what kind of times and speeds were you running? Close to 12's at least?
This is an 1/8 mile track. My times were 8.46 to 8.59.

I do not go through the water any more and I make it a point to spin the tires just to get the loose stuff off.

Here is 1st run of the G8 vs SRT

Reaction time..........0.914..........0.753
60 ft......................2.089..........2.027
trap.......................85.3..........82.1
Elapsed time............8.465........8.516
..............................................Winn er SRT

This result was simular to the 3rd run although my my reaction time was a little better at .653.

Other then the bloody nose we had an excellent time.

Here is a link to their web site. http://www.countylinechallenge.com/

Countyline drags is the only game in town. True that it is not the best prepped track, but if you don't completely disconect the TC and if you start to slide hopefully when you take your foot off the gas pedal you will be ok. Not a guarentee, but hopefully.

PS Now that I think about it, Jim was lucky he hit the wall more at an angle and his airbag did not go off.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 10-30-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
This is an 1/8 mile track. My times were 8.46 to 8.59.

I do not go through the water any more and I make it a point to spin the tires just to get the loose stuff off.

Here is 1st run of the G8 vs SRT

Reaction time..........0.914..........0.753
60 ft......................2.089..........2.027
trap.......................85.3..........82.1
Elapsed time............8.465........8.516
..............................................Winn er SRT

This result was simular to the 3rd run although my my reaction time was a little better at .653.

Other then the bloody nose we had an excellent time.

I still think that your trap speed is pretty low for a 6 with your mods. Anyone else think this? I would say you should be around 85-87 mph.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by distantpulse
I still think that your trap speed is pretty low for a 6 with your mods. Anyone else think this? I would say you should be around 85-87 mph.
The stock srt6's trap that high in the 1/8 mile.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 10-30-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
The stock srt6's trap that high in the 1/4 mile.
You mean the 1/8? Yes, they would trap 82 stock.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM

You mean the 1/8? Yes, they would trap 82 stock.
lol yeah, it was a typo. in the 1/8.

I think i trapped 83 or 84 when i was stock and heatsoaked from a 3.5 hour drive up to the track.

If that track in FL is that damn slick they need to call up the owners and throw a fit. That is bullshit.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just plain sucks!! What really gets me is, how they run a RACE TRACK that is that dangerous?!? WTF?
Amen to that. Even a track out in the boonies like Brainerd International Raceway has traction compound laid out on the main straight for the entire quarter mile AT LEAST.

The ONLY time cars ever should go out of control at the trees is if there is rain.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 AM

I would agree that his car is definitely not running what it should in the 1/8 with his mods. I suck at racing and I was running better than that in the 1/8 on a hotter day(after boost leak issue resolved ). It could be that he's running with no tune also.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 AM

This is me with just a needswings intake and a tune. around 80 degrees, 1000ft altitude:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPmRqVqnOk[/media]

The best time was 8.21 @ 86.45 mph

I would check your tunes guys, do some datalogging and run on the dyno.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 AM

I can see why the time was poor because of the 60ft being bad, but I can't understand the mph's being that low. Depending on how bad you spun, your mph's should increase as well.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Forum Regular

I was at the track that night and im thinking the reason that we got slow times is because we couldn't get any traction. It was my first time and i was taking it easy and i still spun off the line with traction on.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

street tires with ALL traction control disconnected,,as the lights came down, I was at 1200 rpm, as the third yellow went out i flored it then let off a little as it started to spin,, then nailed it to the floor it again startsd to spin, oncw it stasted to spin sid ways i backed out of the throttle , the car didn't back out of the throttle fast enough, as the car strighten it self out then went into a full circle slide,, by now i am facing the tree,, as is it slid the other direction and at the same time went into the wall,,(this track has the concret barriers on both sides of the track the one i hit i moved it back about 1 1/2 feet. on top of that i was ,I drove back to the pits and there found the rad. leak.

cruzinquick After adding the pulley I've only raced one time without my drag radials. I actually have it on video tape almost hitting the wall. That was the car spinning mid track when shifting into 3rd. Never have ran with stocks again.
and that goes X2 for me

Last edited by amx1397; 11-01-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

here are some more pic,

Last edited by amx1397; 11-01-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Disaster at the Miami drags