Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Rambler Marlin Crossfire Connection

Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rambler Marlin Crossfire Connection

Ok so I'm browsing the internet to see what my 65' Rambler Marlin is worth and click on the Wikipedia article of it and check it out. AMC did you add this? Someone photoshop the two cars side by side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Marlin

Crossfire connection
Some of the main design components of the Marlin's design returned in 2004 with the Chrysler Crossfire. The new coupé displayed a fastback roof with broad rear fenders, a rear end treatment that prompted many automotive journalists to comment on the Crossfire's resemblance to the AMC Marlin. For example, Rob Rothwell wrote '...when I first espied the rear lines of the Chrysler Crossfire I was instantly transported back to 1965 and my favorite car of that year, the Rambler Marlin.'[17]

Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rambler Marlin Crossfire Connection

someone is looking through different eyeglasses than I've got ... I honestly don't see that ... which for me is a good thing because I did not like the look of that car, but love the Crossfire ...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, then compare to the '66 Dodge Charger

or the '73 Buick Riviera

Maybe the early Mustang fastback

Actually the Crossfire has more in common with the Corvette Stingray

Both are two seat sport cars.

There are only so many ways to present a car. You can always find some style angle represented in almost every car.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in high school from 64-67 and have always loved the Stingray and Mustang 2+2 fastback. I'd still love to have both now. But I havent won the lottery.
I think the Stingray / Corssfire connection make much more sense.

MikeR

Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My stap dad had one of these in avocado green. It was one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM

OK you have got to be kidding.
You can find someone that will say anything. Do you remember O.J. the man that didn't cut his wifes head off?
I have to say that is some pretty shallow research. Go back to the 30's and look at the Auburns that had what was refered to as a boat tail design.
Does't the boat tail kinda explain why our hood (or bonnet) has the grooves that look like a 30's-40's boat fore deck? Have you guys done any reading on or by the designers of this car? It's all there just look in places that don't only state opinions. It's called the world wide web. Just like a giant library
You know the Pinto had four rubber tires, and so does... NOT A PINTO CROSSFIRE CONNECTION!
Mike

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular

Crossfire inspired .....................Chrysler Firepower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Firepower

rambler wins look a like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Tarpon

Legacy of the Tarpon

The Tarpon was the influence for the 1965-1967 AMC Marlin. Moreover, components of the original Tarpon design returned to a production car in 2004. Principal appearance statements of the small two-seat Chrysler Crossfire include its boattail-like fastback and rear end design. Numerous automotive journalists have noted the Crossfire's resemblance to the AMC Marlin and the original Tarpon's rear-end. For example, Rob Rothwell wrote:
"...when I first espied the rear lines of the Chrysler Crossfire I was instantly transported back to 1965 and my favorite car of that year, the Rambler Marlin." [1]"

Last edited by huudoo; 12-19-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Crossfire Coupes very "Marlinesque" roof line is the only reason I didn't immediately fall for the Crossfire the moment I saw it. Even though I'm an avid AMC enthusiast, the Marlin was one of my least favorite AMC designs. It wasn't because I didn't like the fast back styling, it was simply because it was on too big of a car (the Rambler Classic). It took me over 6 mos. to realize that I actually liked it on a small sports car like the Crossfire, and that's when I got serious about trying to buy one.
Still, I always wondered if the Marlin was (the Creator) Eric Stoddard's inspiration for the Crossfire coupes design, so I PM'd him.

Just a moment of your time - 06-10-2007 , 10:09 AM

Eric, Mike here. I just wanted to privately tell you what a phenomenal job you did with this car.
I've always been a "car nut" and drawn to unusual, and unique designs. But (as I posted on the forum) the Crossfire is one of, if not "the" most beautiful car I've owned, and I've owned nearly 100 cars.
In high school I used to dream about being an automotive design engineer, but was unable to fulfill that dream. I envy you your occupation, and talent.
If I'm not being too personal, I would like to ask you just one question. Was the American Motors "Marlin" your inspiration for the Crossfires roof design? Or is their similarity purely coincidental?
As you can tell by my avatar, and my forum name, I'm somewhat of an AMC buff.
Even though I disliked the Marlins roofline (the car was too large for it IMO) I was absolutely astonished at how perfect it was on the Crossfire. You did such an excellent job incorporating it into the Crossfires over all design, that I would have to say it is as tasteful and as memorable as the "fastback" 1963/67 Corvettes. I love following my wife when ever she's driving our Crossfire because it has such a unique and entrancing rearend.
Sorry for such a long PM, but I just had to write to you and let you know how excited I still am over "your" car. I've never had the opportunity to actually tell a designer (of one of my cars) how much I apppreciated their work until now, and I didn't want to pass it up.
Oh yes, I almost forgot. I really am looking forward to seeing your rendition of the new design for the Tiburon.
Take Care
Mike
and this was his reply.

Re: Just a moment of your time - 06-10-2007 , 09:23 PM

Mike-

Thank you very much for the great feedback and the compliments on the Crossfire design. I'm sort of a closet AMC fan myself. But the main inspiration for the Crossfire design were cars like the Auburn boattail speedster, and later the '63 Stingray and '68 Mustang fastback. The objective was to create a purely American art deco streamliner aesthetic. Tom Gale chose the design because it reminded him of the Stingray. But I never thought about the Marlin until Jim Holden, Chrysler's COO at the time, said it reminded him of a Marlin! I thought the project would get buried right there, but we kept going, and no one mentioned the Marlin again. The rest is history. I have a book on AMC history, and I've always been fascinated by underdog car companies. Maybe that's one of the reasons I went to Hyundai. Another AMC footnote, the clay modeler who modeled the Crossfire is an ex-AMC guy who claims Chrysler bought AMC because of him! Thanks again for your support and great feedback.

-Eric

I hope this helps to clear things up, since it's straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).

Last edited by +fireamx; 12-19-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 AM

your links come up invalid. can you post the reply here instead.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 AM

yea you kind of left us hanging there.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM

Sorry guys, I have to leave right now, I'll repost when I get back.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 AM

Mike is the master of Suspense! This is much like a good Hitchcock thriller!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular

Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Guys it's fixed, so go back and read post #8......my bad.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Mike-

Thank you very much for the great feedback and the compliments on the Crossfire design. I'm sort of a closet AMC fan myself. But the main inspiration for the Crossfire design were cars like the Auburn boattail speedster, and later the '63 Stingray and '68 Mustang fastback. The objective was to create a purely American art deco streamliner aesthetic. Tom Gale chose the design because it reminded him of the Stingray. But I never thought about the Marlin until Jim Holden, Chrysler's COO at the time, said it reminded him of a Marlin! I thought the project would get buried right there, but we kept going, and no one mentioned the Marlin again. The rest is history. I have a book on AMC history, and I've always been fascinated by underdog car companies. Maybe that's one of the reasons I went to Hyundai. Another AMC footnote, the clay modeler who modeled the Crossfire is an ex-AMC guy who claims Chrysler bought AMC because of him! Thanks again for your support and great feedback.

-Eric
Great story Mike! The only thing better would be for Eric to chime in on this thread. I've read where he is a member of the this forum.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Great story Mike! The only thing better would be for Eric to chime in on this thread. I've read where he is a member of the this forum.
I think he's just too busy turning Hyundai into a force to be reckoned with.
It would be great to hear what he has to think about the growing "cult" he's directly responsible for creating.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 AM

Did he design the new Genesis?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Did he design the new Genesis?
Here's our Hero talking about it. I like his feelings on the aftermarket.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15436255XmSASjq

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Wow he's pretty young. The genesis sedan is pretty sharp, and this couple will be nice as well.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM

I always thought the Marlin was one of the ugliest cars of the '60s. The proportions just weren't right. I don't see that in the Crossfire, which pretty much only has the hatchback in common with the Marlin, which was a 'Cuda wannabe.

Quick Reply: Rambler Marlin Crossfire Connection