Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Dual Vs. Single CAI

Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Vs. Single CAI

I have been reading a lot of threads about how ppl are loving their new CAI. After some research i think i am gona go with the Needswings (like) CAI setup for my 6. But I want to get more info on is what exactly is the performance difference between the Dual and Single. Is there enough of a performance and feel gain on the car to spend twice the money. I mean beside the fact that dual looks way cooler.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Dual Vs. Single CAI

I was the first to try this design approach and have extensive photos in my gallery including dyno charts of single versus dual which shows the 35 hp gain on the car about 15 minutes between pulls. This is at the bottom end below 2500 where you will feel it. Enjoy Woody

Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 514 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Re: Dual Vs. Single CAI

Originally Posted by qzomak
I have been reading a lot of threads about how ppl are loving their new CAI. After some research i think i am gona go with the Needswings (like) CAI setup for my 6. But I want to get more info on is what exactly is the performance difference between the Dual and Single. Is there enough of a performance and feel gain on the car to spend twice the money. I mean beside the fact that dual looks way cooler.
I don't know your car but NA's do not do well with the dual. SC engines seem to do better with the dual.

roadster with a stick

Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the spectre setup, so may not be quite NW spectacular but ..lol. I ran a single for awhile and gains over stock were a bit better in throttle response and sounds was much better. I switched to Duals and it really opened up. IMO Duals are great for S/C but Single is probable just right for N/A.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched from the single NW intake to the dual setup and I can attest to Woody's findings. It definitely has noticably more pull off the line. The initial throttle response and tq are much better than with just the single. The duals are definitely priced steep for those who aren't just upgrading from a single. It is definitely a worth while mod tho IMO.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROB! if you read this, i need duals for the c32...

- josh

Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM

I got my duals ordered in the nick of time. Rob told me all of the silicon Y-pipe pieces are spoken for after the Dream Cruise and won't get anymore in for a while. How much time...idk, I guess it depends on the demand since they have to be custom made.

So if you're looking for a dual setup it might be a while

Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sry, fella's, but I had Rob install mine at the cruise...just had to breath on the throttle to break the tires loose...can't wait to get to the track with this set up along with slicks....it should get better...

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Sry, fella's, but I had Rob install mine at the cruise...just had to breath on the throttle to break the tires loose...can't wait to get to the track with this set up along with slicks....it should get better...
LOL, traction control most definitely stays on during spirited take offs on the street now. I can't imagine how ridiculously powerful this new found low end tq will be when the temps hits 40 or 50 degrees. The traction control light is just going to say F it and just stay on 24/7.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM

I wasn't a believer in the beginning...and really decided to do this on a whim...Rob did it in the parking lot in the dark, he works better in the dark, I work better holding the light...so, next morning, we went up to Harbor's to wash the cars, on the way back, well, I had to play....nice low end now...but need the slicks to hold her now...LOL>>>>>and, a little louder....as well...cops, which I am still one, were terrible up there this yr, just about had to talk my way out of one....LOL

Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I wasn't a believer in the beginning...and really decided to do this on a whim...Rob did it in the parking lot in the dark, he works better in the dark, I work better holding the light...so, next morning, we went up to Harbor's to wash the cars, on the way back, well, I had to play....nice low end now...but need the slicks to hold her now...LOL>>>>>and, a little louder....as well...cops, which I am still one, were terrible up there this yr, just about had to talk my way out of one....LOL
I agree, launches at the track are going to be a lot more tricky to do on street tires. Slicks may be must with all the extra low end tq now.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM

And yes there is more than that available with future mods, I have gotten better breathing on the top end with robs manifolds, a lot better. WW

Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM

one thing at a time woody, one thing at a time...LOL

Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doc, they are going to throw you out after the first run if you go to the track with that soft top!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by qzomak
There's only one Needswings. Period. Either pay for the best or read the license plate of the 6 next to you who paid to play. If you can't afford one now, then just wait. It's worth the wait that simple.

All my times below are with the single Needswings CAI, Dual times coming this winter.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah i would deffinately suggest getting the dual NW intake
You will get more gains and it looks decent
The NW has a beautiful SC whine

Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are killing me. There goes another $500!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Mike, I am only running at outlaw tracks, they already banned me at the NHRA tracks...but I did get a run or two in...but not anymore...grudge racing to come soon...LOL>>>>

Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Is this because of the roll bar again??? Woody

Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular

Ok, a few questions for ya'll since im not 100% knowledgable about the intakes for the SRT6's.... First, is there an actual difference between the non-NW and the NW single CAI?? Has any1 actually seen a difference or tried both? We've never spent over 300 bucks on a single CAI, let alone 450.. So it is difficult to drop the extra 200 bucks for the single NW, when 500 would get you two of the "off brand"... I have been advised by some that this is the better way to go.

Second, does the sl55 intake actually have a better performance gain than the dual NW setup?? I have heard from not just one person that this is the case? I realize this sl55 intake is not readily available online, although i hear some dealers do carry the parts... So if it truely does offer the same or better performance with obviously better looks and does not cost $1000... ...

I hate being soooo incredibly frank and picky, but these are questions that someone without botomless pockets has to ask... Not trying to bash ANYONE or their products, i just need facts, figures, and honesty, NOT bias and opinions. Please do not take this in the wrong way. And thank you Verrryyy much for your help

Kolme

Quick Reply: Dual Vs. Single CAI