Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Great Day at the Track

Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Day at the Track

I met up with Mimi and Thumper at Orlando Speedworld today and we had a lot fun. Thumper showed up a little late but promptly lived up to his name and ripped off a 12.4 on street tires while Mimi and I kept spinning on our DR's. You really have to heat up Nitto's when it is this cold outside.
I had my best trap speeds since I started modding my car 113 to 114mph. I also hit my best time yet 12.38 with a 1.94 60ft. I was having a hard time getting traction all day.

Okay it took a couple of runs and tweeking but I think I have my fuel pressure where I want it. I settled on 82psi which dropped my AFR's from low 15's to high 12's and a spike of 13.2 at the most. But as predicted I am now running pretty rich on the bottom end but I don't mind because now I don't have to worry about toasting my motor and after a get a few more logs I will send them to Jerry and have him tweek my tune. It is easier to take away than add.

I almost forgot I did really like the way the car shifted and so did Thumper. We switched cars for one of our runs today. I feel that the blue tops are a worth while mod.

Last edited by Xray; 01-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Great Day at the Track

Good news XRAY! It sounds like you are well on your way to getting things sorted out. High 12s and low 13s AFR sure is a safer place than where you were when you left Atlanta. It will be interesting to see how the #s come up when you get the tune tweaked. Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Talking Re: Great Day at the Track

It sure was a fun day

I was really hoping to get a new personal best today, since the air was nice and cold and the DA was great (about -1600 according to dragtimes.com at the beginning). But traction was an issue and I have different tires now. I really miss my GS-D3's I have Hankook Ventus V12's now, and although I like them more then the Goodyears for daily driving, they aren't as good at the strip. I went up to a 295 (the Goodyear's were 255) and I've only gone to the track a couple of times since putting the Hankooks on, but I seem to have added about a tenth or so to my 60 ft times. Need to go more and see if it's just me not heating them up as much as I did the Goodyears. Just to give you all an idea, I used to stage at about 1700 RPMs and floor it. Now, I'm staging at 1500-1600 and rolling the throttle. Still don't know if the Hankooks just aren't as good as the Goodyears or if Orlando just isn't prepping the trtackk like they use to. Time will tell.

The upside is that all my trap speeds were 113.xx. I've been trapping 111.x rather consistently. Benefits of the cold air!

On another note, I REALLY liked the way Xray's car feels overall. It feels faster then my car. The blue tops give it a nice firm shift compared to our stock soft shift. Nice and crisp is the best way I can put it. I also love the way his car sounds. I still have a fully stock exhaust, and although I like having a quiet car, Xray's just sounds sooo good .

This was also my first time really driving an SRT6 other then mine. I did drive his car about a couple month or so back, but that was just up the street from his house (and he still had the exhaust leak at that time). His combination of mods just feel faster than what I have. Granted I ran quicker than he did on most of the runs, but once he started getting traction and tweaked his fuel pressure, he was running as quick as me. I've also never hit a 114 trap. Came close today with a 113.6, new best trap for me!

Also, as to the AFRs he mentioned above, those are what I see at the track with my current tune. I logged 3 of my runs today, but haven't looked really them over yet. Just skimmed through them quickly after each run. Peaked at about a 13.3 in top of 3rd... in the 12's otherwise.

Can't wait to see what he can do once he gets his car retuned so it's not as rich in lower RPMs. We should have a good race against each other then.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Well maybe after the Florida GTG Feb 27 on the way back to Miami, I can meet you all in Orlando at the speedway. Maybe Jim can cruze up. I saw his new Hoosiers this afternoon,,,,,,,,,,, NICE wide,,,,, very wide

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Forum Regular

Come on up RMADERMAN it would be great to have another SRT at the track. I am picking up a set of nitto 555r, 315 40 17's Tomorrow I am sick of spinning out of the hole with my 275's so hopefully this will fix my problem. I would love to get some hoosiers but I have to drive on them to the track and I like to go to Moroso by Jim and it is over a 100 miles one way. The Nitto's are pretty durable even if not as sticky I am hoping to make up the difference with the extra width.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Xray
Come on up RMADERMAN it would be great to have another SRT at the track. I am picking up a set of nitto 555r, 315 40 17's Tomorrow I am sick of spinning out of the hole with my 275's so hopefully this will fix my problem. I would love to get some hoosiers but I have to drive on them to the track and I like to go to Moroso by Jim and it is over a 100 miles one way. The Nitto's are pretty durable even if not as sticky I am hoping to make up the difference with the extra width.
[quote=RMADERMAN] Well maybe after the Florida GTG Feb 27 on the way back to Miami, I can meet you all in Orlando at the speedway. Maybe Jim can cruze up. I saw his new Hoosiers this afternoon,,,,,,,,,,, NICE wide,,,,, very wide [quote] Randy we will go to OSW soon i got the hoosiers mounted they are 315 35 17 and 11.4 wide, they fit now had to modifly a little,, for them to fit you need at least 20 offset wheels.. x ray all of us are going to have to meet at osw and again at moroso, maybe at moroso at the next mopar challenge. maybe we can show up all the srt 8's.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xray
I was having a hard time getting traction all day.
I always have a hard time getting traction at OSW. The cold weather probably didn't help any either.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally heated up my tires longer and was able to really stick well for two 8.0 et's at the 8th mile, but only trapped a best of 12.4 @112. My car has never been the same, ever since I took off the resonator and stock muffler. Sometime this Spring I'll go back to a nearly stock exhaust, just without the rear cats, the way it was when I was trapping 12.1's @114 mph. The re-tunes have not worked at all. Glad to see that Paul is able to use those 315's on the Voxx's, so I'll have to look into that setup next.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, so you think that dropping the resonator had something to do with your times? That is interesting. Anyone else experience this? I was wanting to do a rear cat and resonator delete, but not if it is going to hurt my times. I thought the weight reduction would help my time. Evidently something in the compression change that it is not liking?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dropping the resonator was about the first mod I did on the Aero. I still have the stock muffler. No issues for me..