Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!

Yup, for those keeping track, I'm lucky number 6 to lose a rearend. Gave me about a minutes worth of warning while I'm in rush hour traffic. Click Click Click.....KABOOM. "HOLY F*CK! WHAT THE H*LL WAS THAT. NO NO NO NO NO" were pretty much the words that came out of my mouth. Not a happy camper right now but I can tell you this, my motivation for making a better rearend from an LX body or some beefed up MB work in our cars just went to the top of my priority list. What I don't understand is why it went out now vs last year when I was hard into weekend after weekend at the track. I can see if I was launching hard on it but since I got my tune at EC, I've had to baby it since it goes lean in the top of the RPM range so no runs, no romping on it. Guess we'll see how this all works out.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!

bummer rudy! if you figure something out put me on the list. i want to fix mine before i end up like everyone else. guess this is i/c pump #2. not if it fails but when!!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!

Stop hurting my car! ...

It is bad to say but... there is no one better than you for this to happen to. Other that the $$$ comming out of your pocket and stranded on the road. You will have a better "rear end solution" instead of just talk about getting something made and nothing come of it. Great things will come of this for everyone! unfortunately at your expence.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Rudysorry man,, what can i do to help,, OH , can i have your broken rear i want to weld everything from the pin to all the gears,,(not ring and pinon of course) but every thing that moves in the rear and see how long it last,,, the biggest problem we have is the 307 gears,, a 327 would last 5 times longer and make your car faster in the 1/4

Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
Rudysorry man,, what can i do to help,, OH , can i have your broken rear i want to weld everything from the pin to all the gears,,(not ring and pinon of course) but every thing that moves in the rear and see how long it last,,, the biggest problem we have is the 307 gears,, a 327 would last 5 times longer and make your car faster in the 1/4
how does a 327 gear last longer? arent they made of the same material?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

I have a pumpkin with a broken off piece of halfshaft stuck in it that I'd just give you. Mind you it has the NA gear ratio in it.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Same material but the multiplication is lower so instead of every 3.07 revolutions of the drive shaft equaling 1 revolution of the axel it would be 3.27 revolutions of the driveshaft.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Same material but the multiplication is lower so instead of every 3.07 revolutions of the drive shaft equaling 1 revolution of the axel it would be 3.27 revolutions of the driveshaft.
i can see that making the 1/4 mile faster but i dont see were it would last any longer. the stresses are the same at the same weak spots. it seems eliminating the spiders are the only way to fix this issue

Old 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same material, yes... but a 307 has to work much harder to translate the engine's "oomph" into forward motion than the 327.

Having said that, a 327 is much harder on a car than a 307 at constant highway speeds, because the gears have to turn much faster to yield the same rate of forward progress as the 307 @ any given engine RPM.

Not enough of a difference to really notice, but 3000 RPM at 70 mph versus 2300 RPM @ 70 will translate into an increased rate of wear on components over time.

Think of it like bicycle gearing, steve.

If you start out in the highest gear, you'll work your @ss off to get going. Once you're moving, however, the higher gears are very welcomed.

A low gear would help you get rolling faster, BUT you'd tire your legs off trying to maintain RPM @ speed. Once you shift to a higher ratio, the bike becomes wasier to pedal because you're only making one cycle with your feet for every 10' of movement, versus three cycles if you left it in the lowest gear.

I consider my car more of a highway cruiser than a drag racer, so honestly I'd prefer the 307 in my car. But it would be so dreadfully slow getting to 60, I guess the Krauts wanted to help us NA guys out as much as possible. So they gave us a 327.

FWIW, My old ranger came with a factory 355 open rear.

I upgraded to a 4.10 locking diff, and shaved almost a second off my 1/4 mile (from 15.9 to 14.89). 60' times were vastly improved, as well.

But BOY the highway mileage sucked.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:00 PM

i get what everyone is saying about the ratios but it seems the only rears that are failing are the ones that are being raced. it seems the damage is being done by the extreme stress of the burnouts and launches causing the rear to either fail at the track or down the road as wear and stress amplifies the weakend part.
granted until rudy gets his apart we wont know if his spider gears failed, and im only guessing but it does appear that reinforcing the gears, or eliminating them will be the only real fix. changing the ratio wont fix the problem just delay it a bit

Old 05-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i get what everyone is saying about the ratios but it seems the only rears that are failing are the ones that are being raced. it seems the damage is being done by the extreme stress of the burnouts and launches causing the rear to either fail at the track or down the road as wear and stress amplifies the weakend part.
granted until rudy gets his apart we wont know if his spider gears failed, and im only guessing but it does appear that reinforcing the gears, or eliminating them will be the only real fix. changing the ratio wont fix the problem just delay it a bit
Agreed. These cars do NOT like to be raced a lot, it seems... at least not with slicks...

Old 05-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Every since I heard the "dreaded" click in my rear end last time at the track, I am waiting for the failure....it lauched hard with the slicks on, and it didn't spin, but just hooked up very hard, and as it torque over, I heard a distinct click...like something was about to let loose, but didn't...so, we all who race once in awhile, need a good fix for sure...

Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 PM

doc my goodyears were hooking so hard at the track with bmorgan that i was wheel hoppin out of the waterbox. i now have the dreaded click also and have quit racing until a fix is found.

maybe buggin with wavetrac will be the answer. i know drexler contacted me quickly and they say its no problem to build a lsd from them. 2k$ and shipp it to europe!

Old 05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My NA diff is starting to click a bit, but only in reverse, lol.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular

not sure how relevent it is, but before ours was hit by the train, I was feeling what I describe as tire noise. I know it wasn't. It was def. readend noise. It never changed pitch for pavement type to pavementtype. The faster I went, the more noticable it became.It did not follow engine RPM only speed of car. I got under the car, and could not duplicate, or hear the noise while hand rotating things. No real back lash between drive shaft and wheels. Dodge said they never heard or found it, figures, car was still under warrenty. Never had a chance to figure it out, the train took care of that.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XF redo
not sure how relevent it is, but before ours was hit by the train, I was feeling what I describe as tire noise. I know it wasn't. It was def. readend noise. It never changed pitch for pavement type to pavementtype. The faster I went, the more noticable it became.It did not follow engine RPM only speed of car. I got under the car, and could not duplicate, or hear the noise while hand rotating things. No real back lash between drive shaft and wheels. Dodge said they never heard or found it, figures, car was still under warrenty. Never had a chance to figure it out, the train took care of that.
Good to know...the blue coupe hasn't been raced yet, just played with...so the roadster is the one I worry about....I think for the heck of it, I will take a look....see if any of the spiders are cracked...might get ahead of the game if I see something before things get chewed up...

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, DUDE!

Well, if you need a cocktail to drown the pain, uh, you can fly down?

I'll even let you abuse my baby. A little.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!

I know that this is a NA rear but it is interesting never the less. Woody

Carrier Differential 05 06 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe: eBay Motors (item 380231465600 end time Jun-06-10 09:43:10 PDT)?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 PM

i can get a stock diff all day long for 120

Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite
i can get a stock diff all day long for 120
where ???on the ebay one, the 05 and up did not come with bolt on axel shafts,,, only the 04.am i right ?jim

Quick Reply: Nothing like shelling out your rearend on a sunny summer day! GRRR!!!