Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Key replacement?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key replacement?

Hello to everyone,

I lost one of my keys to the srt6 and decided today to call a couple of dealers for a replacement. Turns out, in VA at least, every dealer has a different price for them. Ranges from 150 - 250. My question is, has anybody ordered a key recently and got a better price than that? If so, please post the contact informationn of that dealer. thank you guys and gals.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Key replacement?

Make sure your price includes programming the key. This is usually an hour labor although it takes 20 minutes. You will want a TOTAL price for the key.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 2005GreySRT6
Hello to everyone,

I lost one of my keys to the srt6 and decided today to call a couple of dealers for a replacement. Turns out, in VA at least, every dealer has a different price for them. Ranges from 150 - 250. My question is, has anybody ordered a key recently and got a better price than that? If so, please post the contact informationn of that dealer. thank you guys and gals.
I need to get an extra key also - I haven't used this place yet, but it's the cheapest I've found:

https://www.remotesandkeys.com/Produ...ductCode=3191A

Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

To program the key is easy. Put it in the ignition, press BOTH buttons at the same time, then trun the key to the on position, wait 30 seconds and that's it. I just did it on Sunday when I got new batteries for one of my fobs and needed to do that to get it to work. Piece of cake, and both buttons and the chirp(s) worked like it was supposed to. With the key in the ignition, the car says, ok, I can read this, it's a viable key, so then it does it's thing.

The question I have though, is if buying one of these new keys off ebay for example, are all the ignition switches the same, and only the individual signal is readable? Or are all the laser cuts different, and the IR signature too, for a double security pass?

I figured out the codes for store registers and once when I was there typed it in and voila the sale transaction would have been entered had I continued. recognized the number I put in as an employee which I wasn't. Just wanted to see if it worked. So wondering if the key is the same.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
To program the key is easy. Put it in the ignition, press BOTH buttons at the same time, then trun the key to the on position, wait 30 seconds and that's it. I just did it on Sunday when I got new batteries for one of my fobs and needed to do that to get it to work. Piece of cake, and both buttons and the chirp(s) worked like it was supposed to. With the key in the ignition, the car says, ok, I can read this, it's a viable key, so then it does it's thing.

The question I have though, is if buying one of these new keys off ebay for example, are all the ignition switches the same, and only the individual signal is readable? Or are all the laser cuts different, and the IR signature too, for a double security pass?

I figured out the codes for store registers and once when I was there typed it in and voila the sale transaction would have been entered had I continued. recognized the number I put in as an employee which I wasn't. Just wanted to see if it worked. So wondering if the key is the same.
I believe they are laser cut differently. I was holding John's key Monday and his was cut different than mine.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

ahhhh. Thanks thirteen. I was thinking that was the idea there, which is why I was leery of buying one of those off the bay. when I got my car it only had 1 key, and the dealer sold me another at his cost of $95.00, and it was ordered by the VIN so I figured there must be a seperate cut for each VIN. That explains that. But programming it is easy and took like a minute from opening the door.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular

It's not just the cut of the key, there is also a chip inside that needs to match - that's why they need your VIN when ordering a replacement. The remote buttons on an eBay key can be programmed to lock/unlock the doors, but it won't start the car.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sowardcustoms .............. he works for a dealer, and got me a key for about $120 if I remember correctlly.
They need your VIN, and have to order it, i got mine in 3 days tho', super fast deal !

Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular

I'm selling my spare key for $65 shipped. I'm assuming my key will just needs to be reprogrammed for another SRT6. If this is not the case, please correct me. PM me if you're interested.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The key not fit anotherSRT6, as they all have a different chip, and are cut to suit the VIN