Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Just Bought Needswings DCAI :)

Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought Needswings DCAI :)

im insanely stoked to get this product sent to me. 2 more weeks and it will be here! Now my concern is will car washes cause the filters to suck up water and hydro-lock the motor? This is my DD and i live in colorado where the snow is sometimes crazy. Would i need to worry in winter time also?

I ask because i love the SRT6 and im almost about to pay her off and she will be mine!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Just Bought Needswings DCAI :)

Keep your car off when washing the car, then you don't have to worry about the water. Congrats on the dual CAI, that is one hot looking setup. I use the NealsWings single cai, which is my own home grown setup and has been awesome. It even has the hard aluminum pipe going through the side of the radiator support instead of the silicone ones. I think it makes a difference, but who really knows. Good luck with your new fun part.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Rob has some covers for the filters if you are super worried about hydro locking, but I can't imagine you will have an issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the release of the NW intakes, I have not heard of one instance where a car ingested water and locked the engine. We have dozens of testemonials where folks have driven through tropical storms, blizzards, and battlestar galactica with no issues.

I think you're safe as-is. Enjoy the new horsepower!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the NW dual CAI and have taken my car through a touchless car wash many times (engine running) and have never had an issue.... I also live in Oregon and we get lots of rain....(still raining here in July).... I think you would have to almost submerge the filters to get enough water through them to cause a problem...that is just my opinion though..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Great thank you guys! Also, have any of you seen this heat exchanger before? Its made by PLM and looks very similar to the LET/Eurocharged exchanger. Im looking to make my SRT run cooler, Private Label Mfg - PLM Headers & Manifolds

Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by ThatAttGuy
Great thank you guys! Also, have any of you seen this heat exchanger before? Its made by PLM and looks very similar to the LET/Eurocharged exchanger. Im looking to make my SRT run cooler, Private Label Mfg - PLM Headers & Manifolds
I would go with what Rob (Needswings) has over anything else out there... give him a call

Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it rains everytime I go on a long trip. I have never had any water issues with the dual setup, and I was one of the first to convert from a single. Great product. Install will take some time, so take your time and do it as instructed. If you don't own a catch can, this would be a good time to install one of those as well...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have fun with the power steering line swap lol. It can be a *****, but you'll love the sound and power you get from this set up.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, the power steering line and getting past the radiator supports are the two toughest parts of the install. Just remember to cap the lines as you remove them, and capture the fluid. No mess this way, and you can reuse the fluid. Good luck

Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM

knowing the factory line would never go back on i just cut the line at the front of the curve and added 2 rubber lines to connect them. took all of 10 minutes

Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have the factory line in with my Dual.......

Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to take the nose off to get the factory lines out. I couldn't figure it out! Not to mention all the power steering fluid that ended up on the concrete. But it was worth it, just remember that.

Les

Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 AM

The waldig supercooler costs 175 USD i heard him saying in the YouTube video. The one needswings got cost 450. Where is the waldig one for sale? Or is the needswings one an upgrade?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Needswings Supercooler is the "conceived by Waldig" SC. But if you saw it on a You-Tube, it must be true.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 AM

the 175$ price is for the radiator itself. doesnt inc the parts or the labor or welding to convert it to a bolt in heat exchanger

Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Okay. Can imagine they also need to regain some experiment costs. I am getting one soon.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been seeing some people with power steering issues. I know FUBU I believe is looking to get a new pump.

Is it related to the new line for the DCAI install? Notice the factory line has two big waves right in front of the grill to catch cool air and cool the fluid. The new line gets little to no airflow. I was just wondering if the intake could cause PS issues in the future do to heat? I mean why would Mercedes just run lines like the NeedsWings? They were designed like that for a reason. Just food for though

Old 05-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
I have been seeing some people with power steering issues. I know FUBU I believe is looking to get a new pump.

Is it related to the new line for the DCAI install? Notice the factory line has two big waves right in front of the grill to catch cool air and cool the fluid. The new line gets little to no airflow. I was just wondering if the intake could cause PS issues in the future do to heat? I mean why would Mercedes just run lines like the NeedsWings? They were designed like that for a reason. Just food for though

Uhhh . . . you posted on a thread that is four years old. If there are people having power steering issues it has nothing to do with rerouting the power steering lines related to installing a Needswings DCAI. Power steering pumps will sometimes and eventually fail. Needswings designed and tested their DCAI system thoroughly before making it available for purchase. Believe me . . . Rob and his team know what they are doing . . . no worries . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-06-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had the dual CAI for years and road race my car. No overheating of the power steering fluid and the pump is still working as new.

Les

Quick Reply: Just Bought Needswings DCAI :)