Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

I was not getting it up as much as before and needed a check up

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking I was not getting it up as much as before and needed a check up

Just wanted to mention that I did some testing to look for manifold leaks. I have two throttle bodies for better response but wanted to see if there were any pressure leaks in hoses or what ever.

Well the road got longer and harder, my tig welder failed and I could not do aluminum – went to the google and found that that miller welder had a bad set of current sensors. Went to get one and in a week had the welder up again, weeee. Now I took some scrap aluminum and welded up two three inch pipes so that I could block off the manifold and add compressed air.

Basically you just have to blow into the manifold and then listen for escaping air leaks. Getting the air into the manifold is as easy as hooking the air source to a pipe plugged into the manifold, with the throttle body propped open to allow flow.

Looking at the photos you can see the two pipes plugged into the manifold wye pipe. I fed in a compressed air line set at 20 psi to charge the manifold. After the pressure is up, I used a stethoscope to listen to the entire manifold and sort out air leaks. This found a bad hose tee fitting, a bad valve cover gasket on the top and a bad fitting overall. Sorta wild as I thought that engine would leak more air to the exhaust, but the valves and timing let relatively little air to go to the tail pipe. I went to the exhaust and heard a bit of air leaking, nifty.

THe photo with the screwdrive stuffed into a pipe was necessary as the pipe kept popping off at 20 psi so I stuffed it to hold the air in while doing the testing. The sensor that it was attached to was also buzzing with the air at that level of boost so it was better to leave it unplugged.

I started this hunt to see if I could figure out the cause of my low boost, Iam getting up to 17 AT THE INTAKE MANIFOLDS. Nothing is leaking so Iam without answers so far. But I thought that the checking of the manifold would be of interest to the forum generally.

Last edited by waldig; 03-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: I was not getting it up as much as before and needed a check up

More photos