Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Where is the sticky for new folks? SRT6 vs 6 spd

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the sticky for new folks? SRT6 vs 6 spd

New to this forum. Forgive the screen name (horrible experience with a Grand Caravan). Looking to buy first XF. Have to consider a trade-in. Have zeroed in on a 6spd limited and an SRT6. Same year, color, and mileage. SRT6 is asking 6 grand more than 6spd. Have not driven an SRT6, but am disappointed that they only came in auto. So much so that my first thought was, "Wonder if it would be better to FI a 6spd or to swap manual into SRT6?" I'm a Bugeye guy and still have two (Austin Healey Sprite). Looking for something a little more modern... Thx.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Where is the sticky for new folks? SRT6 vs 6spd

Do a search, and there's tons of info. SRT6 vs stock six speed .........there is no comparison, and until recently it was not easy or cheap to change to forced induction on a NA. Since then there is a company offering a turbo for the NA, however the SRT6 is more than just an engine change as the entire suspension and drivetrain is uprated.
Drive the autostick and it may convince you that a manual is not absolutely necessary. You can also add a paddle shift kit if you feel the need

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dontlovedodge
New to this forum. Forgive the screen name (horrible experience with a Grand Caravan). Looking to buy first XF. Have to consider a trade-in. Have zeroed in on a 6spd limited and an SRT6. Same year, color, and mileage. SRT6 is asking 6 grand more than 6spd. Have not driven an SRT6, but am disappointed that they only came in auto. So much so that my first thought was, "Wonder if it would be better to FI a 6spd or to swap manual into SRT6?" I'm a Bugeye guy and still have two (Austin Healey Sprite). Looking for something a little more modern... Thx.
The SRT-6 auto-stick will more then satisfy your need to change gears. Most good condition SRT-6's with 25-35k miles can be had for 15-18K, Roadsters go a little higher. If you haven't pressed an SRT-6 throttle into the carpet and enjoy the feeling of real acceleration, don’t buy anything until you have.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Specifically, I was looking at (both roadsters) a 6spd for $12K with 70K miles and an SRT-6 for $18+ with 70K miles. Was wondering if the SRT6 was really worth an extra $6K. I see the SRT6 sold, not sure at what price, so I know there is more desire for that car, but not sure I can make myself believe it can really be $6K worth of difference. Would think I could do quite a few upgrades to a limited for $6K... Thoughts?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think $18K is high for an SRT6 with 70 k, I picked up my coupe 2 years ago with 26k miles for $14k. If you look around you'll find a better deal. If you drive the NA then an SRT6, you'll see why the 6 has been sold.........
A friend of mine found an SRT6 roadster for less than that with 30k miles last year .........
The thing with the roadsters is that only 928 were produced worldwide, but I'm sure there's a better deal out there

Last edited by magredvet; 03-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Chrysler, there were only 928 SRT-6 roadsters made so there is potential increasing value (I bought mine a year ago and it has already increased in value (Edmunds and KBB) by around $2000.00 from what I pd for it.

The auto stick is actually more fuel effiicient and faster (0-60) than the 6 speed on the base and Limited Xfires accoriding to road test reports.

Good luck with which ever one you choose! You'll love the drive.

2005 SRT-6 Roadster, Black 37,000 Mi.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dontlovedodge
Welcome to the forum.
Since you own two "Bug Eyes", that says to me that you enjoy sweet handling, fun to drive "manual shift" sports cars.
Unless you are into drag racing, that's the ONLY thing the SRT's do better than the NA cars.
Even with bigger brakes, and stiffer suspensions, they neither stop quicker, nor handle any better. (According to Automotive Magazine road tests).
Only the EPA says the automatics get better fuel economy, it's been proven contrary many times here by well driven 6 spds.
You can't go wrong with either car, they are all a total blast to own, with a great support group right here on the forum.
And even though the automatic is quicker to 0 to 60 mph, than a 6spd. the automatic is close to 1/2 sec behind in the 1/4 mile.
Good Luck

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM

I spent my life with Mg's and Sunbeam Tigers. I have acquired both na and SRT6 Crossfires roadsters.They too are not dragsters. They are fun to drive. The automatic out performs me. My red roadster SE is a 6 spd. and is the most beautiful car I have seen. I saw it and bought it. I wish it was automatic. gary

Last edited by arado; 03-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM

I have had both and I have trouble finding the true simularities other than looks in the Limited comparred to an SRT
I to was into the english roadsters many years back and though I would love to occasionally take the little sewing machine engine for a spin you need to test drive the SRT before making ANY decision.
As far as worth 6 grand difference? It is truly apples and oranges.
If you try to drive the SRT like you might the 4 bangers you now have you will be selling it for parts.
Enjoy the Ride...
Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Where is the sticky for new folks? SRT6 vs 6 spd

I bought my roadster as an homage (and second childhood) to the 73 TR6 I had to sell in 1990. No disappointments -- ride, power, reliability, etc is far superior. Acceleration is plenty fast with 215hp. The stick is fun to drive and the automatic top a pleasure after manually lowering/raising and snapping tonneau covers. I am a firm believer that a "real" 2-seat sports car has to be a stick. If the SRT6 was available with a stick, then I would have bought a roadster version back in 2005. BTW, the SRT6 was between $8-10k more expensive than the n/a when new.

After reading about how fast and how much fun the SRT6s were, and how rare they were, I decided to find the twin for my car. I figure I bought a 3-year old car with 8500 miles and avoided $30k in depreciation. I've come close to buying an SRT6 graphite roadster a couple times, but common sense (and having only a 3-car garage) prevailed.

Drive them both and make your decision. You will love whichever one you buy.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Where is the sticky for new folks? SRT6 vs 6 spd

I have owned three N/A Crossfires, two with the 6 speed and one with the auto (roadster). I now have an SRT-6 coupe. I very much enjoyed my three N/A Crossfires and have no regrets owning them. The manual transmission is always fun. However, now having owned the SRT-6 for six months, I have absolutely NO regrets. Of the 75,000 or Crossfires built, only roughly 3000 of them are SRT-6s. The performance of the SRT-6 is a completely different beast compared to the N/As. The $6k difference in price would be about the amount of money you would spend trying to upgrade an N/A to SRT-6 specs (assuming you want to go that route). The main thing to ask yourself is if you want a cool car that has great handling or a great car that has handling and makes you say OMG! every time you step on the gas.