Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

NeedsWings headers/downpipes - need some opinions.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NeedsWings headers/downpipes - need some opinions.

I've been tossing a few exhaust setup ideas around in my head for a while now, but am having trouble deciding what to do.

I'm currently running a stock exhaust setup, with the exception of a custom axle-back to a Megan Racing M-RS muffler. Pretty standard issue stuff, and sounds stock more or less. I'm looking to get a little more sound and of course, a little more power without breaking the bank or making the car sound too obnoxious. I don't mind an aggressive exhaust note but I want it to be crisp/smooth, not raspy and overbearing. With that being said, here are the options I am considering.

1. NeedsWings headers + NeedsWings catless downpipes + retain factory resonator
  2. NeedsWings headers + factory downpipes + delete factory resonator
  3. NeedsWings headers + factory downpipes + retain factory resonator
  4. NeedsWings headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + delete factory resonator
  5. NeedsWings headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + retain factory resonator
  6. Factory headers +NeedsWings catless downpipes + retain factory resonator
  7. Factory headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + delete factory resonator
  8. Factory headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + retain factory resonator
Why am I considering so many different options? Well, consider this. The county in which I reside in requires emissions to be done every 2 years to renew your vehicle registration. So as awesome as the NeedsWings catless downpipes look, deleting all 4 cats might not be a wise decision for me, hence why I am considering having an exhaust shop build me some custom downpipes retaining 2 of the 4 factory cats (there are a bunch of reputable places in my area that could build me a set). Then of course are the headers and the factory resonator. The new log-style headers NeedsWings offers look pretty promising, but are they really worth me shelling out $1,000+ considering my goals here? And then there's the resonator. Deleting it may or may not yield a small power gain (probably in the top of the powerband) but will alter the exhaust note. My top option right now from both an affordability and power/sound standpoint is probably either option #2 or option #7. I just spoke with a buddy of mine that does custom exhaust work and he recommended keeping the front cats and just deleting the rear + the resonator. What's everyone's opinion?

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 06-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Re: NeedsWings headers/downpipes - need some opinions.

Good options listed! My only question if you go with #7 (my gut suggestion), will you pass emissions testing with this setup? All your options will result in the same end question, right? Number 7 seems the most popular for the bang/buck (especially if your state tests emissions). Good luck with your mods!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
I've been tossing a few exhaust setup ideas around in my head for a while now, but am having trouble deciding what to do.

I'm currently running a stock exhaust setup, with the exception of a custom axle-back to a Megan Racing M-RS muffler. Pretty standard issue stuff, and sounds stock more or less. I'm looking to get a little more sound and of course, a little more power without breaking the bank or making the car sound too obnoxious. I don't mind an aggressive exhaust note but I want it to be crisp/smooth, not raspy and overbearing. With that being said, here are the options I am considering.

1. NeedsWings headers + NeedsWings catless downpipes + retain factory resonator
  2. NeedsWings headers + factory downpipes + delete factory resonator
  3. NeedsWings headers + factory downpipes + retain factory resonator
  4. NeedsWings headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + delete factory resonator
  5. NeedsWings headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + retain factory resonator
  6. Factory headers +NeedsWings catless downpipes + retain factory resonator
  7. Factory headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + delete factory resonator
  8. Factory headers + custom downpipes deleting 2 of the 4 cats + retain factory resonator
Why am I considering so many different options? Well, consider this. The county in which I reside in requires emissions to be done every 2 years to renew your vehicle registration. So as awesome as the NeedsWings catless downpipes look, deleting all 4 cats might not be a wise decision for me, hence why I am considering having an exhaust shop build me some custom downpipes retaining 2 of the 4 factory cats (there are a bunch of reputable places in my area that could build me a set). Then of course are the headers and the factory resonator. The new log-style headers NeedsWings offers look pretty promising, but are they really worth me shelling out $1,000+ considering my goals here? And then there's the resonator. Deleting it may or may not yield a small power gain (probably in the top of the powerband) but will alter the exhaust note. My top option right now from both an affordability and power/sound standpoint is probably either option #2 or option #7. I just spoke with a buddy of mine that does custom exhaust work and he recommended keeping the front cats and just deleting the rear + the resonator. What's everyone's opinion?
I have the needswings downpipes and it deleted all 4 cats. It now has a very deep sound. I'm ordering the MRS muffler next week . Id personally go with downpipes, headers , and the MRS muffler while keeping resonator. Do yo have any sound clips of your MRS muffler ? How does it sound In your opinion ?

Old 06-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Good options listed! My only question if you go with #7 (my gut suggestion), will you pass emissions testing with this setup? All your options will result in the same end question, right? Number 7 seems the most popular for the bang/buck (especially if your state tests emissions). Good luck with your mods!
I agree that #7 seems to be the best option in terms of both budget, exhaust note and uncorking the factory exhaust system to free up a little bit of power. As long as I have the two front cats intact I would imagine it would still pass emissions.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
I agree that #7 seems to be the best option in terms of both budget, exhaust note and uncorking the factory exhaust system to free up a little bit of power. As long as I have the two front cats intact I would imagine it would still pass emissions.

Read the posts concerning the exhaust, there is very little power to be gained no matter what the options. Concern yourself with sound and skip the big buck options.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There will never be a concensus on the "best" exhaust setup for this car. There's also no real cheap option when you consider the price of NW headers or downpipes. I think the person with most experience trying different setups is Les. I think he said he gained 40 HP with long tube headers and downpipes, but no emissions tests. Don't quote me on that. Back in 2011, the suggestion was to remove the resonator and rear cats. If I had the $$$ lying around, I'd do option #1 and delete the resonator. But we don't have emissions testing in Florida....

Old 06-26-2016, 01:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Needswings headers, N.W.'s downpipes(cutouts w/ electronic openers, or not; your preference), Vibrant Performance GESI HO OBD2 Cats(1each side), Magnaflow X-pipe, OEM resonator, Magnaflow SRT6 muffler.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:31 AM
bdh

I have down pipe with resonator removed plus stock muffler. AND HATED the drone! It was undriveable.
I put the resonator back on & like the sound now.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you keep the stock resonator and muffler the sound stays civilized regardless of what else you change. The majority of power gains are from removing the cats. My advice is the NW cat delete downpipes and keep the rest stock. The NW downpipes bolt to the stock supports. You can remove them and go back to stock in around an hour if necessary. I installed them myself in a condominium basement on jack stands. First time took a lot longer but the second time an hour.

Les

Old 06-26-2016, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Needswings headers, N.W.'s downpipes(cutouts w/ electronic openers, or not; your preference), Vibrant Performance GESI HO OBD2 Cats(1each side), Magnaflow X-pipe, OEM resonator, Magnaflow SRT6 muffler.

Well, you just spent many times more than I did on mine and I seriously doubt that it would have better sound and/or more power than I do, except of course with cutouts open. Then again, where can you drive it like that except a track? My total cost for a great sounding exhaust was less than $200 and I would match it for power and sound with anything I have seen on any other Crossfire.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All a matter of opinion unless you strap them both to the same dyno.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
All a matter of opinion unless you strap them both to the same dyno.

No argument with that. I'm just saying that with a little thought and good design, you can have an improved exhaust without breaking the bank. I'll let the guys at Carlisle weigh in on what they think of mine.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
No argument with that. I'm just saying that with a little thought and good design, you can have an improved exhaust without breaking the bank. I'll let the guys at Carlisle weigh in on what they think of mine.
Jeff, what muffler are you running ?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you just spent many times more than I did on mine and I seriously doubt that it would have better sound and/or more power than I do, except of course with cutouts open. Then again, where can you drive it like that except a track? My total cost for a great sounding exhaust was less than $200 and I would match it for power and sound with anything I have seen on any other Crossfire.
I just listed what my dream setup would be if price wasn't an object. I currently have all but the headers and HO Cats. Also currently I live in a County that doesn't require smog check every two years like most others in CA. If I needed them in the future, those would be the ones I'd like to get. They do cost quite a bit though, you're right.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zoodust
Jeff, what muffler are you running ?

Here is my setup. I deleted the back CATS went directly into a "Y" with a 3 inch outlet. Then a 3 inch pipe through a 3 x 12 inch resonator directly to the stock muffler, removed the OEM resonatot, then into "big" round tips. Sound is deep and throaty until the SC kicks in then it's almost Ferrari like. I eliminated all the twists and turns, a lot of weight and get a scavenging effect since the "Y" is as close to the engine as I could get. Luckily I have my own welder and pipe bender so that saves a ton.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:36 PM

The funny thing is you can buy our cars for a song but the parts cost a Symphony.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular

Read the posts concerning the exhaust, there is very little power to be gained no matter what the options. Concern yourself with sound and skip the big buck options.

Yeah, I think I am going to forego the NeedsWings headers/downpipes and go with a more economical options considering I'm not really after huge power gains. Just want to "un-cork" the exhaust system a little bit and get a more aggressive exhaust note.

Originally Posted by Zoodust
I have the needswings downpipes and it deleted all 4 cats. It now has a very deep sound. I'm ordering the MRS muffler next week . Id personally go with downpipes, headers , and the MRS muffler while keeping resonator. Do yo have any sound clips of your MRS muffler ? How does it sound In your opinion ?

Honestly, it really sounds no different than stock. At least from inside if the car. I'm sure that'll all change when I delete the cats/resonator, at which point the M-RS muffler will probably sound a bit different than if I were to delete the cats/resonator and retain the OEM muffler.

Originally Posted by chuK_138
There will never be a concensus on the "best" exhaust setup for this car. There's also no real cheap option when you consider the price of NW headers or downpipes. I think the person with most experience trying different setups is Les. I think he said he gained 40 HP with long tube headers and downpipes, but no emissions tests. Don't quote me on that. Back in 2011, the suggestion was to remove the resonator and rear cats. If I had the $$$ lying around, I'd do option #1 and delete the resonator. But we don't have emissions testing in Florida....

Having to deal with emissions definitely throws a curve ball my way and limits my options.

Originally Posted by dinasrt

I considered doing cut-outs, but at the end of the day I just can't justify running them. And I already have a Megan Racing M-RS muffler, so no need for me to change my muffler setup. But I appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by bdh
I have down pipe with resonator removed plus stock muffler. AND HATED the drone! It was undriveable.
I put the resonator back on & like the sound now.
Now I'm not trying to call anyone old here (lol) but keep in mind that I'm only 29, so I don't mind the extra sound. My car is already on coilovers and sits on the ground so I can't see deleting the resonator/cats making the car "undriveable". I've owned a lot of VERY loud cars over the years - the loudest being an '88 RX-7 (non-turbo) with a Racing Beat header, a Bonez cat-delete test pipe and an Apex-I GT Spec cat-back. Now THAT was a loud car....lol. My Cobalt SS & Mazdaspeed MX-5 were both pretty loud too.

But don't get me wrong, I agree that there is such a thing as too loud. My roommate has a Camaro ZL1 with SLP long-tubes, no cats and a Corsa cat-back and it's a bit too obnoxious for my taste. It might be un-American for me to say this, but I'm really not a huge fan of the way built/cammed V8's sound. It sounds mean, don't get me wrong, just not my cup of tea.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM

I am choosing Option 2, deleting all 4 cats and the rear resonator, but ADDING 2 Magnaflow 5" bullet mufflers with 2.5" inlet and outlet, with exhaust tips. If these are too loud, I will add some small resonators for tip of exhaust. Any opinions on whether this will be too loud? I want a mild loudness, not a raspy loudness.