Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Looking at buying an SRT6

Old 04-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying an SRT6

Gentlemen,

I am ready to pull the trigger to purchase an SRT6, the dealer I'm working with has a Roadster and a Coupe, both are black with about 40K miles. Wanted to check in here to see if there is anything in particular I should be aware of on these.

I'm familiar with the technology, I've had a C43 AMG and currently have a C55 AMG, from what I've read the SRT6 has the Same engine as the C32 and SLK32, is that correct.

I'm leaning towards the Coupe mostly for the trunk space, can at least get my golf clubs in it, no way on the Roadster....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Old 04-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking at buying an SRT6

It is the same drivetrain as the 32 AMGs, you should find no surprises with your prior ownership experience. As far as the golf clubs go, hahahahahahaha! Good luck even in the coupe. Best bet is to get the roadster, drop the top, forget the passenger and enjoy the ride. Let the bag ride shotgun.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Agreed, get the roadster
It's the only way to go.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's one in your area of the country, quite rare, a 2006 model SRT6 roadster with less than 10,000 miles. It's owned by a forum member (Bill), so you have no questions about the condition of this SRT6.
Good Luck....
Dennis
DTMenace

2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster | eBay

Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabco
Gentlemen,

I am ready to pull the trigger to purchase an SRT6, the dealer I'm working with has a Roadster and a Coupe, both are black with about 40K miles. Wanted to check in here to see if there is anything in particular I should be aware of on these.

For the SRT6 expect to spend about $200 in time and money replacing the intercooler pump. Easy job if you have jack stands or a lift, parts cost about ~$130 and plenty of guides online.

Apparently a number of us have issues with the RCM failing. With a decent pair of gonads and a soldering iron that's an easy fix as well. Both of these can be knocked out in a Saturday.

Those are the only two serious issues I've seen on these cars (owned both an SRT6 and Base, both coupes). Next to that it's just shitty electronics and plastics, typical for Benz/Chrysler.

Do be aware (and sounds like you probably are) that mechanics and dealers will take you to the cleaners on parts cost for these things. Read the forum and shop for parts yourself and these really aren't too expensive to maintain. Don't ever let the dealer buy parts for you! Bring your own and pay for labor. Everything else is covered on the Sticky archive.

Once you knock those two big things out, they're awesome machines! Search around for "Throttle Reset" and "Seat belt chime disable" to make your life even better once you buy.

*Edit: Final thought, if you can, get the dealer to put some decent rear summer tires on as they're a bit pricey and you don't want to pay for if you don't have to! Traction will be the limiting factor on these and you don't want to be running on Chinese all-season rubber.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by IconRunner; 04-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Last thing I want to mention is the spoiler gasket on the srt-6's will eventually fail and allow water into the trunk which can wreck haven't on the electronics that sit in the rear passenger wheel well. So keep an eye on water droplets getting inside the trunk.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nabco