Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Supercharger Suckage

Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharger Suckage

Hello boys and girls, some of you may have noticed we added a 6 to the stable last month, so I am looking for some advise from the minds of some great people. But I guess you will have to do.

41,000 miles, and the supercharger is working sporadically. I know it could be the Throttle, or gas pedal, but I think it is the intercooler. Always works from dig, but is 50/50 from rolling start and often just does nothing from 45 + MPH. We have put 600 miles on it since taking ownership, and the performance has been steadily degrading. Occasionally when cruising at 50+ MPH it gets a burst of power, like a surge as if the supercharger just kicked in with no change in throttle input. This has only happened 5 times that I know of, though it is the wives baby. It exhibits most symptoms of a bad IC pump, but I wanted to check in before I order one to replace it.

What say Ye?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger Suckage

It's most likely the pump from the symptoms you described.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the same thing. I chased ghost with no results. Replaced the IC Water Pump, now All Is Well.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, that's where I am leaning too, but I am just working on a consensus. I need to order this weekend.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 PM

The stock intercooler pump goes quick on these cars, mine went at 34,000. Intermittent booost is the main symptom. Someone else did a great write up of their issues, somewhere on this forum. They realized it cuts out about every two minutes, as the supercharger gets too warm. Then, the boost comes back once it is cooled, and this cycle repeats. The first time mine lost boost, the car did what you described: sudden boost without me changing pressure on the accelerator and then no boost while pressing the accelerator.

My personal experience with losing boost and solving it by replacing the intercooler pump:
It took about 20 minutes, most of that was getting the plastic out of the front right fender well. I bought the Bosch, I think, pump from needswings. The only specialty tool requires a torx socket, or however you spell that. Then, afterward, I had the same problem...because my system has an aftermarket separator between the intercooler pump lines and the radiator lines. I had to re-establish flow from the main reservoir to the intercooler by opening two shut-off valves attached to the radiator/intercooler lines.

Last edited by TheThomaswastaken; 04-22-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob at NeedsWings has the Johnson pump that's got more flow for ya. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM

I just bought an SRT 6 about 2 weeks ago from today and had the same problems you're describing. Basically the discharge air temp was getting about 190-200 degrees after the SC according to my scan-tool. the ECM will look at that and say "heck no turn off that SC" and you'll lose all your power until it goes below 200 degrees then kick back on.. and turn off again.. etc..

Check Fuse 13 FIRST as it's an easy fix if that's blown. (Driver side) Fuse Panel.
This fuse brings power to the pump.

For me it was the pump. Super easy install took me 1 hour to do it properly. Johnson pump worked fine.

After install I drove around.. Smashed it a couple of times while recording IAT It stayed at about 90-100 and at max 115 then dropped back down..

Hope this helps!!

Edit: Here is the pump i got.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by AtomicBubbles; 04-23-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Link to pump
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Forum Regular

Oddly, I am looking at NeedsWings right now and they only advertise the new improved Bosch 010.
Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Rob at NeedsWings has the Johnson pump that's got more flow for ya. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular

Did you have to modify anything to install the Johnson? Anyone know where a link to a DIY for the intercooler replacement is? I have never done one, but everyone says it is easy to do.
Originally Posted by AtomicBubbles
I just bought an SRT 6 about 2 weeks ago from today and had the same problems you're describing. Basically the discharge air temp was getting about 190-200 degrees after the SC according to my scan-tool. the ECM will look at that and say "heck no turn off that SC" and you'll lose all your power until it goes below 200 degrees then kick back on.. and turn off again.. etc..

Check Fuse 13 FIRST as it's an easy fix if that's blown. (Driver side) Fuse Panel.
This fuse brings power to the pump.

For me it was the pump. Super easy install took me 1 hour to do it properly. Johnson pump worked fine.

After install I drove around.. Smashed it a couple of times while recording IAT It stayed at about 90-100 and at max 115 then dropped back down..

Hope this helps!!

Edit: Here is the pump i got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
Did you have to modify anything to install the Johnson? Anyone know where a link to a DIY for the intercooler replacement is? I have never done one, but everyone says it is easy to do.
No reports of the 010 pump failing but the Johnson has had its problems. I did not think NW sold the Johnson any more.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 PM

No modification needed.. The bracket that comes with the Johnson pump is slightly different.. but I tightened it down well enough for my standards.

Here a good tutorial

Old 04-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth, my Johnson did not last more than 6k miles, went back to Bosch 010 and this has been good for the 15kn since and still working!

Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oddly, I am looking at NeedsWings right now and they only advertise the new improved Bosch 010.
Rob does keep current with new items on the market. If he's now supplying the Bosch 010 then he must think it's an improvement. I purchased my Johnson pump from Rob over four years ago and never experienced a problem. You want go wrong with either one. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-23-2017, 04:33 PM

I researched both and decided on the Bosch 010. It's a direct replacement.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
For what it's worth, my Johnson did not last more than 6k miles, went back to Bosch 010 and this has been good for the 15kn since and still working!
If your "Johnson's" not working, I would definitely try something new...lol. Rob won't steer ya wrong..

Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 AM

No need to guess . buy yourself a $7 obdII reader , blue tooth it to your phone and you will know immediately if it is your iat temps . Having one earlier would have saved me a lot of time and money diagnosing problems .

my high iat's weren't from the pump but the connection that went from the fuse box to the pump . did the always on mod and it worked fine .

have a used Bosch 010 for sale of your interested .

Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes , a bluetooth OBD a smartphone and the Dashcommand app work well and are not expensive.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by king happy
No need to guess . buy yourself a $7 obdII reader , blue tooth it to your phone and you will know immediately if it is your iat temps . Having one earlier would have saved me a lot of time and money diagnosing problems .

my high iat's weren't from the pump but the connection that went from the fuse box to the pump . did the always on mod and it worked fine .

have a used Bosch 010 for sale of your interested .
So what is the consensus recommendation for an OBDII reader for our cars?

And yes it was the pump. I installed a Bosch 010 and that solved the problem.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:08 AM

I don't know about consensus because I have only used one . it is an elm327 , they are small and don't stick out far from your obdii , on ebay about $6.

it well show you iat's , rpm , throttle position , short and long term fuel injection correction , boost and a bunch more . I use it with torque pro from the app store ($5)

I thought was I could start with that then buy something else if needed , haven't found a reason to buy anything else to this point .

I do want to buy an afr gauge to add to it .

Old 05-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

the 010 is the new pump of choice, yes your symptoms describe that of a bad oem pump

and congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum!

show us the rest of the stable