Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Limp mode transmission hell

Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode transmission hell

So I have purchased a 1 owner srt6 with 30,000 miles, couple of little door dings for a very good price in limp mode. The car has been in a Chrysler dealership for 18 months with no joy on the repair.....I thought I would take a chance.....so firstly it started for about 3 seconds, traced this to a bad fuel pump connection in electrical box under hood, wired fuel pump direct and now it runs great,,,,now the limp mode problem to deal with....changed the conductor plate and filter with genuine parts and refilled with a German transmission fluid....no joy,,,,read codes, p0370, incorrect gear ratio,,,,long story short I went and bought a Mercedes code reader and have now changed a solenoid with a direct replacement and it worked great for about 5 minutes changing gear as it should until we tried manually shifting by tapping the gear leaver, went straight back into limp mode.....although solenoid was correct part number, the numbers on the top of the solenoid are different, I am being told this solenoid is used in several cars and although they have the same part number, the numbers on the top refer to different cars which is some sort of gear ratio thing? Also I will tell you I have changed the electrical connector plug and checked the module in the passenger footwell.. Can anyone give me a few ideas guys please.....don't think the transmission is shot as it worked great for 5 minutes.....����������. Slagburger@hotmail.com is email address , and phone number just incase you wanna ask me anything and it's easier to call is 8632589789, I could also call you right back on my phone....many thanks in advance

Last edited by Slagburger; 07-07-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added email address..
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Limp mode transmission hell

Have you been in contact with Chuk ( chuk_138 ) in Orlando ?
He is quite knowledgeable and may be of help to you.
Send him an IM.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Slagburger
So I have purchased a 1 owner srt6 with 30,000 miles, couple of little door dings for a very good price in limp mode. The car has been in a Chrysler dealership for 18 months with no joy on the repair.....I thought I would take a chance.....so firstly it started for about 3 seconds, traced this to a bad fuel pump connection in electrical box under hood, wired fuel pump direct and now it runs great,,,,now the limp mode problem to deal with....changed the conductor plate and filter with genuine parts and refilled with a German transmission fluid....no joy,,,,read codes, p0370, incorrect gear ratio,,,,long story short I went and bought a Mercedes code reader and have now changed a solenoid with a direct replacement and it worked great for about 5 minutes changing gear as it should until we tried manually shifting by tapping the gear leaver, went straight back into limp mode.....although solenoid was correct part number, the numbers on the top of the solenoid are different, I am being told this solenoid is used in several cars and although they have the same part number, the numbers on the top refer to different cars which is some sort of gear ratio thing? Also I will tell you I have changed the electrical connector plug and checked the module in the passenger footwell.. Can anyone give me a few ideas guys please.....don't think the transmission is shot as it worked great for 5 minutes.....����������. Slagburger@hotmail.com is email address , and phone number just incase you wanna ask me anything and it's easier to call is 8632589789, I could also call you right back on my phone....many thanks in advance
Why was it you changed that particular solenoid?
Is it possible that the gear selector is faulty?
So it is in limp mode all the time again now I guess.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why was it you changed that particular solenoid?
Is it possible that the gear selector is faulty?
So it is in limp mode all the time again now I guess.
Red dog had a bad gear selector a couple of years back, he replaced with one from a parts yard and all was well. He sent me the old one, I dissected it because I'm just curious. It has lots of electronics and stuff in it, so it could be the problem.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gear selector is usually , the second place , that cup of coffee goes. If its a soft drink , there is no coming back from that.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:51 PM

Hey ala X fire, how would I find chuck on here, I'm new to all this for malarkey ....and really appreciate your reply...think the stealershipmchanged this but I will definitely take a look
Again cheers

Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Yes onehundred80 all the time..

Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM

And I had a code which was suggesting solenoid 3y or something, it's been sat for the last 2 months through frustration but I made notes of all codes....seems I get one code, I change that ,my hen I get another and feels like I have been chasing my tail...

Old 07-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slagburger
Hey ala X fire, how would I find chuck on here, I'm new to all this for malarkey ....and really appreciate your reply...think the stealership m changed this but I will definitely take a look
Again cheers
Click on your forum name in the upper right, choose 'PRIVATE MESSAGES', click 'Send New Message' in the left column, put chuk_138 in the 'Recipient Username(s)' box, then something in the title box, then your message in the lower box. Click 'Submit Message'.

or just click : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=newpm&u=30283

Old 07-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Click on your forum name in the upper right, choose 'PRIVATE MESSAGES', click 'Send New Message' in the left column, put chuk_138 in the 'Recipient Username(s)' box, then something in the title box, then your message in the lower box. Click 'Submit Message'.

or just click : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=newpm&u=30283
Is it chuK_138?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Fantastic Onehundred80 and Axa really appreciate it...

Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is it chuK_138?
Yes, that is correct.

He's on Facebook,
Chuk Colombani
Even has his phone listed there if you want to try that.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He got in contact with me. Unless some tech swapped the TCU (possible) or diff (less possible), this should be straightforward to diagnose.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Thanks Chuk, I knew you were local, and also knew you could probably figure it out.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Quick update, looks like the wrong tcu part number, probably dealership swapped out old one with incorrect one for a srt6, chuk spotted this,,,,now ordering correct part number and gonna have to get it flashed.......fingers crossed��

Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not the case but a few thoughts to look into, TCU tune: when new they where not perfect and cause both my srt's into limp mode. Also, if they did change the rear end out not with a srt rear it will cause limp mode as well. The dealer could've bought a rear thinking that's the issue and not tuned the tcu for said rearend
Good luck

Old 08-04-2017, 02:16 PM

I bought an SRT 6 on Sunday. Was driving it to work this morning and all of a sudden lost power. By reading the forum, I now know this is "limp mode". At the time it happened, I noticed the BAS EBS light was on. Any ideas what could have caused this? I had it taken to a mechanic to look at it.