Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Supercharger rear bearings

Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger rear bearings

So I have in my possession a supercharger that makes some not so pleasant sounds when the clutch is engaged. I know it's not the pulley bearing making the noise and managed to figure out through some research that it's likely to be the rear bearings at the end of the turbine shafts. Despite hours of searching however, I could never find out what model those bearings were or how to take the supercharger apart. I have now done both of those things, so I figured I'd post it here for posterity.

First things first, the bearings are NTN 6203ZC3- they cost like $10 each

In terms of disassembling the supercharger, I'm sure there is a "correct" way to go about it, but the best you're going to get in this post is my 20/20 hindsight instructions!
1) Remove the supercharger and it's ancillary components from the car
2) Unscrew the drain bolt on the front snout and dump out the oil
3) Unscrew the 6 cap bolts that hold the front snout in place
4) Remove the front snout

This is where things get a little less clear. There's no obvious way to pull the housing away from the midsection of the supercharger. I ordered bearing kit from benzperformanceparts.com which comes with instruction on how to do this, but they're not great and are specific to the V8 unit. The next instruction at this point says to remove the snap rings that hold the rear bearings to the turbine shafts. Unfortunately for us, we have dust covers in the way of that. Without a better method of removing the dust caps, I drilled a small hole into each, threaded in a screw, grasped the screw with pliers, and hit the pliers with a hammer until they popped out. With the snap rings now accessible, they were removed. The instructions then said to hit the SC mid-section with a rubber mallet until it separated from the housing. This proved tough! I ended up threading bolts into the 2 bolt holes in the mid-section and hitting them wit the mallet. This method along with getting a flat head screwdriver to work on the opposite end, finally separated the 2 pieces. When it was all said and done, the bearings remained on the turbine shafts, regardless of the removal of the snap rings, so I will continue the instructions based on what I now assume to be the superior method...

5) Thread a bolt most of the way into each of the bolt holes in the supercharger mid-section
6) Using a rubber mallet and flat head screw driver, coax the mid-section and housing apart
7) Leave the rear bearing dust shields in place

Anyway, this I the quick and dirty. I'll take some pictures later and clean this up a bit more. Just wanted to have SOMETHING people can refer to.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger rear bearings

Just curious, how many miles were on the blower before you did this bearing change?

Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger rear bearings

no idea. I bought it used and unfortunately didn't realize the issue until it was too late.

To be clear, I do not now nor have I ever owned a crossfire/c32/slk32... this is for a custom project I'm working on.