Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Positive traction?

Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Positive traction?

Hay guys and gals, I currently own a XF coupe and am thinking about trading it for an SRT6. I really like my coupe but I think I would like the power of the SRT6 more. I have a couple of questions.

Does the SRT6 have a positive traction or limited slip differential? (My coupe does not).

Will the SRT6 spin it's tires from a dead stop?

What is auto-stick or could someone explain the automatic transmission?

Can you hear the supercharger under full power?

I going to test-drive one as soon as the dealer gets one in.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Positive traction?

1. no
2. probably
3. A U T O M A T I C 5 speed that you can shift manually!
4. If you're listening for it on hard acceleration!

Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have lots and lots of them in Cailf.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne1992
Hay guys and gals, I currently own a XF coupe and am thinking about trading it for an SRT6. I really like my coupe but I think I would like the power of the SRT6 more. I have a couple of questions.

Does the SRT6 have a positive traction or limited slip differential? (My coupe does not).

I going to test-drive one as soon as the dealer gets one in.

Thanks
No posi-trac.

Will easily spin the tires from a dead stop. Don't even have to
stomp on the accelerator. Just press it about half way.

You can hear the supercharger, but it is not an overly loud
whistle.

Test drive one as soon as you can. You will be impressed.

Coyote

Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info but the lack of a posi unit with that much HP concerns me. To stomp the gas and only spin one tire isn't good. I guess I'll have to take a test drive and scare the crap out of another car salesman. I test drove an SRT4 a while back and I don’t believe I'm allowed back on the property. The salesman told me to floor it and feel the HP and I did...for a long time.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Epyon

holy crap it doesnt have a LSD? wtf

Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 PM

The Xfire has limited slip differential;
what are you talking about?

Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon
holy crap it doesnt have a LSD? wtf
Yes, it has LSD. But I don't think anyone has ever considered that
a true posi trac. It's not a locker by any stretch.

Coyote

Old 06-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah, car & driver tv had both rear tires smokin at the same time with a power brake burn out. they work together.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular

It does not have a limited slip differential. It uses electronic gimmickry to act sort of like an LSD. The traction control applies the brakes individually as needed.

I have seen cars with well set up open differential give the appearance of a limited slip when going straight.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 PM

If anybody has their SRT6 on a lift anytime soon put it in neutral, grab one of the rear tires and turn it by hand it the other tire turns the same direction it a posi. If it turns the opposite direction it's a single line rear-end.

Also, if anybody has the service manual for an SRT6 see if the rear-end has a clutch pack in it.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne1992
If anybody has their SRT6 on a lift anytime soon put it in neutral, grab one of the rear tires and turn it by hand it the other tire turns the same direction it a posi. If it turns the opposite direction it's a single line rear end.

Also, if anybody has the service manual for an SRT6 see if the rearend has a clutch pack in it.
Chrysler has billed the car as having a LSD, though I don't currently find this or any description regarding the rear end. It was one of the few things that I thought the car needed, and was surprised when the dealer said it was LSD.

Coyote

Old 06-23-2005, 04:39 PM

Hi… My name is Keerit T. I was reading some of the posts and came across this thread. It's very cool to see interest in the Chrysler Crossfire… Just to let you know, I’m a Marketing Representative with the Chrysler Information Center, so I’m sort of biased when it comes to DCX products… But I really do get a kick out of talking about them, especially with owners and admirers. Anyway, would it be okay, if I joined in the conversation and provide some input to questions you may have? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Keerit T.
Chrysler Information Center Marketing Representative
1-800-CHRYSLER / 1-800-247-9753
www.chrysler.com
chryslerforum@bbdodetroit.com

Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM

Keerit, I don't think anyone would mind at all if you jumped right into a thread/conversation. So, feel free to post any information you have.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Great… To answer Wayne1992’s questions regarding the SRT6:

Does the SRT6 have a positive traction or limited slip differential?

As of yet, there is no option for limited slip differential on any Chrysler Crossfire model. Although, as "SRT6_Roadster" stated, ESP (Electronic Stability Control) is standard on all models of the Crossfire. It compares the driver’s intended course based on steering angle and braking input sensors versus the vehicle’s response via lateral acceleration, rotation, and wheel-speed sensors. It uses the antilock brakes and throttle control to adjust for understeer and oversteer. It also helps to maximize available traction and improve vehicle stability in inclement weather or in performance driving situations.

I am sure it is possible as Coyote and Dan Root were saying. Although, I would not recommend it just for the case that the 19” inch rear tires could be very costly to replace, on top of any additional wear and tear on the vehicle.

The AutoStick shifter operates as an automatic transmission or a clutchless manual. It optimizes performance and fuel economy by making extensive use of “Slippery Clutch” in third through fifth gears. The AutoStick delivers the performance feel of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.

The supercharger uses a three-valve design utilizes two intake valves and one large exhaust valve. You will hear the supercharger "hiss" when it does kick in. I’d love to describe the sound, but it’s one of those things you can only experience by test driving the vehicle.

I hope I've been a help in answering you questions and let me know if anymore questions if you have any more.. I’ll be around.

By the way… Have you check out the "Compare Specs" feature within the Chrysler website? If not, click here to view http://www.chrysler.com/crossfire/compare.html . Most of the information I've provided can be found from this section.

Thanks again,

Keerit T.
www.chrysler.com

Old 06-23-2005, 07:14 PM

Thanks, Keerit T. for answering my questions.

I am concerned about not having the limited slip differential with that kind of HP. Also, I am subject to add performance mods to kick it up even more.

Standing start acceleration might not be what the SRT6 is all about. I think I'll just keep my red coupe for now. I like red!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Epyon

very nice a chrysler representative!

well, with the nice times the Crossfire SRT-6 puts down with a LSD, i would love to see the times with a LSD.

although a LSD would help handling ALOT too.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChryslerInfoCenter
Great… To answer Wayne1992’s questions regarding the SRT6:

Does the SRT6 have a positive traction or limited slip differential?

As of yet, there is no option for limited slip differential on any Chrysler Crossfire model. Although, as "SRT6_Roadster" stated, ESP (Electronic Stability Control) is standard on all models of the Crossfire. It compares the driver’s intended course based on steering angle and braking input sensors versus the vehicle’s response via lateral acceleration, rotation, and wheel-speed sensors. It uses the antilock brakes and throttle control to adjust for understeer and oversteer. It also helps to maximize available traction and improve vehicle stability in inclement weather or in performance driving situations.

I am sure it is possible as Coyote and Dan Root were saying. Although, I would not recommend it just for the case that the 19” inch rear tires could be very costly to replace, on top of any additional wear and tear on the vehicle.

The AutoStick shifter operates as an automatic transmission or a clutchless manual. It optimizes performance and fuel economy by making extensive use of “Slippery Clutch” in third through fifth gears. The AutoStick delivers the performance feel of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.

The supercharger uses a three-valve design utilizes two intake valves and one large exhaust valve. You will hear the supercharger "hiss" when it does kick in. I’d love to describe the sound, but it’s one of those things you can only experience by test driving the vehicle.

I hope I've been a help in answering you questions and let me know if anymore questions if you have any more.. I’ll be around.

By the way… Have you check out the "Compare Specs" feature within the Chrysler website? If not, click here to view http://www.chrysler.com/crossfire/compare.html . Most of the information I've provided can be found from this section.

Thanks again,

Keerit T.
www.chrysler.com
Keerit T. -- Thanks for joining the conversation.

Couple of small items:

1) The supercharger does not have 3 valves the cylinder head has 3 valves.

2) I know that DCX likes to advertise the autostick as providing the benefits of an auto & a stick but it is no replacement for a manual. It just does not allow the same level of control nor does it shift nearly as fast in manual mode.

As far as anyone being concerned about not having an LSD don't be. It would be great and I would certainly purchase one if offered. But as it is with a little practice the SRT-6 will put down the power it has without too much trouble. Hitting the 12's in the 1/4 is not a problem without an LSD. Now if you want to go to a real track with turns the lack of LSD will hurt you more but you will still crush most cars on the track if you are a good driver. Obviously all problems are exacerbated when you begin to modify the car for more HP.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:39 PM

Thanks for your input SRT6_Roadster!

DCX strives to build and design vehicles that can perform to the needs of consumers, but every now and then there are certain items that do not appeal to all consumers. It is constructive comments like yours that helps us here at DCX to determine what the consumers want to see in future vehicles. So, if anyone else has any other comments both positive and negative, let me know. Your comments and input are duly noted.

Regards…
Keerit T.
www.chrysler.com

Old 07-17-2005, 12:50 PM

It's true...I did a power brake burn on a trip over to Naples, Fla. last October... both rears light up with a lot of smoke ... SHOCK AND AWE!!!

jimboo

Quick Reply: Positive traction?