Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

I've smashed up my SRT6

Old 04-29-2024, 12:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've smashed up my SRT6

The front of the car took the impact at about 30mph, airbags deployed, bonnet crumpled, wheels aren't pointing straight, and it's not holding fluids, I'm going to visit it in a compound tomorrow and take some pictures & upload here. I'd really appreciate some advice on what you think will need replacing and how feasible it will be to repair.

I'm thinking perhaps I can buy a spares or repair standard crossfire in the same colour and potentially swap some of the parts over, i'm guessing the bonnet/internal bumper components,airbags, steering wheel would be exactly the same between the srt6 & standard crossfire?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2024, 12:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Re: I've smashed up my SRT6

Originally Posted by mp3wizard
The front of the car took the impact at about 30mph, airbags deployed, bonnet crumpled, wheels aren't pointing straight, and it's not holding fluids, I'm going to visit it in a compound tomorrow and take some pictures & upload here. I'd really appreciate some advice on what you think will need replacing and how feasible it will be to repair.

I'm thinking perhaps I can buy a spares or repair standard crossfire in the same colour and potentially swap some of the parts over, i'm guessing the bonnet/internal bumper components,airbags, steering wheel would be exactly the same between the srt6 & standard crossfire?

Thanks
From what you have described , sadly it is certain the SRT will be considered totaled by any insurance company

Old 04-29-2024, 01:31 PM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

The front bumpers are different but interchangeable. Front suspension would be a major concern.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:18 PM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

I would think the airbags are a major problem; remember there are differences in the airbag setup for different years Look at the space between the passenger doors and the front fenders. Are the spaces open about 1/8 inch top to bottom; Both doors can be opened? If you can't open a door with no scrubbing the frame may be bent which would require a trip to a body shops "rack" to stretch it back to specs.
Sorry to hear this happened, but you walked away.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:10 PM
Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

mp3wizard
Since you don't have your location listed, I assume your SRT6 is a rare 2006 Black Coupe located in the UK. In the VIN# database indicates you purchased it in February 2023, #64282.

If my information is correct, please conform my findings. As previously stated, there is a good chance the insurance company will total the car due to the lack of available new parts. If the insurance company decides to total the car, please confirm and I will change the status of this SRT6 to a Salvage Title (Branded).

Currently we have only 2 2006 SRT6's that have branded titles of a total manufactured of 296.
Good Luck....
Dennis
DTMenace

Last edited by DTMenace; 04-30-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your car. The most important thing is that you walked away.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Thanks
I am sorry to hear about your crash, one thing does come to mind and it is what I had for breakfast, toast.
It may be worth taking the payout and buying back the wreck for a part out. That’s if you have a place to strip it. You can get at least $300 for the window trim.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:24 PM

Thanks, I've decided to repair it as the frame rails look straight and it starts and drives.

At a minimum It will need...

2 headlights,
bonnet,
radiator,
fog lights,
passenger side quarter panel,
new tyre,
some suspension components,
bumper,
bumper internals such as the cross member,
dashboard,
dashboard airbag,
steering wheel airbag,
windscreen,
grill

from my initial searches it looks like sourcing the SRT6 bumper will be the most difficult to source, I may have to put a standard bumper on there and replace when one becomes available.

It's going to be an interesting journey! will upload some pics soon.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, I've decided to repair it as the frame rails look straight and it starts and drives.

At a minimum It will need...

2 headlights,
bonnet,
radiator,
fog lights,
passenger side quarter panel,
new tyre,
some suspension components,
bumper,
bumper internals such as the cross member,
dashboard,
dashboard airbag,
steering wheel airbag,
windscreen,
grill

from my initial searches it looks like sourcing the SRT6 bumper will be the most difficult to source, I may have to put a standard bumper on there and replace when one becomes available.

It's going to be an interesting journey! will upload some pics soon.
Glad you are ok. There are srt bumper covers still in the mopar warehouse. Brand new. If you cannot find one I have a new in box cover. I have a fender. Air bag. Windscreen. Probably a few other of the parts you listed. Im in the US. Not sure where you are though.

Esinclair (05-01-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:14 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that, I'm in the UK, I guess you wouldn't consider shipping internationally? I have actually see quite a few parts here, but I know i'll struggle to find an SRT6 bumper.

Here's a few pics, I see that the passengers side wheel is pushed back and doesn't turn when you turn the steering wheel, I might try and remove it and take a few pictures so I can check with my local garage if they can fix and what parts I would need to order, I see there are a few plastic pieces missing, such as around the wheel arch.

I guess the plan will be to strip down all broken parts initially to see what is actually required, if anyone can spot additional damage over what i've already said please let me know as it will help me in repairing.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:23 AM

Old 05-02-2024, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
I would think the airbags are a major problem; remember there are differences in the airbag setup for different years Look at the space between the passenger doors and the front fenders. Are the spaces open about 1/8 inch top to bottom; Both doors can be opened? If you can't open a door with no scrubbing the frame may be bent which would require a trip to a body shops "rack" to stretch it back to specs.
Sorry to hear this happened, but you walked away.
I'm hopeful the damage stops at the door, you can't see in the picture but the quarter panel was sticking out and peeled back not touching the door, when the recovery truck moved the car the quarter panel was then pushed back in so isn't a true reflection of the impact. The Frame rails at the front also appear straight which is encouraging, but I guess I won't know fully until it's stripped back.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:52 AM

The bumper cover is a large heavy box. I am not sure, but the shipping may cost more than the cover. I made a few calls to see if it was still available from chrysler. They said all of the SRT bumper covers had sold since I purchased mine 3 years ago. I have everything behind the cover headlights and a NOS grille. To be honest. You could probably buy another crossfire for the cost of everything with shipping. If you post a list of parts that you cannot get over there. I could better estimate a cost and shipping.
I would call this place first for the cover. They have a reconditioned srt cover for a better price than what I paid for mine.
2005-2008 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Front Bumper Cover -BUMPER MEGASTORE

Old 05-02-2024, 11:38 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd hate to see one not reconditioned!

Old 05-02-2024, 12:26 PM

Old 05-02-2024, 12:27 PM

any ideas on what I need to fix here then? the wheel isn't straight and will hardly turn...

Old 05-02-2024, 12:39 PM

any ideas on what I need to fix here then? the wheel isn't straight and will hardly turn...
It might be best to have a body shop do an estimate. Its extremely hard to tell from a picture. Looks like everything attached to the frame. Both Control arms and what is attached to the wheel. Possible sway bar. Steering linkage possibly. What do the mounting points to the frame look like? Do you see damage at those points or the components that are attached?

Old 05-02-2024, 11:05 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

A lot of issues here given the picture(s) views, one I see that wasn't yet mentioned (unless I missed it), was the engine hit at all? If so you might have front bearing/associated accessories damage as well. Upon tearing all the front end damage down your going to find things you may not have seen or thought of. Good luck with the project!

machfivecrossfire (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 09:22 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

A lot of issues here given the picture(s) views, one I see that wasn't yet mentioned (unless I missed it), was the engine hit at all? If so you might have front bearing/associated accessories damage as well. Upon tearing all the front end damage down your going to find things you may not have seen or thought of. Good luck with the project!

That happened to me. I purchased the complete drive train from a wreck. Seller assured be it was a runner. I bought in trust and when I received the pallets they went into storage for a few months until I had the time to attend to this.
when I opened the crate, engine looked fine then I dove a bit deeper, and lower, I discovered that the timing chain cover was damaged from impact (impact was front passenger side on the angle. I also noticed that the oil pan was damaged. It took a while but I located a timing cover in Texas. Had it shipped, stripped down the engine, reworked everything assembled and back into the car. All back together all plugged in, started it looked down at the belts and notice a wobble at the crank pulley.
I didnt think to check it, the accident bent the “nose” where the pulley sits on the crankshaft. You couldn’t see it until it was started. The wobble was slight but noticeable. I shut it down and took another 3 weeks to rip it down and put it back together.

this was after I located a replacement crank (again in Texas)

it was an educational experience.
but we all know experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.

I didn’t want or need more experience but it’s what I got.

I hope your experience will be better.

The following 3 users liked this post by UrbanE:
exparamedic (05-03-2024), M60A3Driver (05-03-2024), zip439 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 10:40 AM

passengers side suspension, wheel doesn't turn fully

Left chassis leg