Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Manual Transmission Swap

Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Swap

I finally drove the SRT-6, it's nice, but I don't like the automatic, like I predicted. But, these cars are being sold at decent prices. So, does anyone know a shop or some sort of company that would be able to swap the automatic tranny in the SRT-6 for a 6-speed manual?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Manual Transmission Swap

Originally Posted by golfdude
I finally drove the SRT-6, it's nice, but I don't like the automatic, like I predicted. But, these cars are being sold at decent prices. So, does anyone know a shop or some sort of company that would be able to swap the automatic tranny in the SRT-6 for a 6-speed manual?
Not again...

1) M.B. times, for example, 0-60 in their stick vs. auto SLK's (same engine) have a difference of .1 to .2 sec's apart which is pretty much the story with most of there models (stick vs. auto).

2) M.B. does not make a performance manual transmission. That means a custom fab job would have to be done.

Either way, quite time consuming and expensive to gain a tiny fraction in performance...IMO

My theory is that if it works for the SLR then it's fine for my lowly SRT

Last edited by respdoc; 12-22-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:03 AM

Geeez, I really didn't want to start this music again...I am fully aware about these issues of Mercedes and them not having a manual tranny, etc, and I don't need someone to explain to me the pros and cons of the either types of transmissions...All I am asking for is a COMPANY that would be able to swap the SRT-6 automatic tranny with a manual tranny, at this point, money is not the issue, feasibility is. I just want to know if somebody out there can do something like this.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Epyon

Dr.Evil? They might perhaps. So I've heard for Honda guys.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug Nash?

Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Epyon

Give them a call, check them out?

http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/home.html

Old 12-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Forum Regular

All I am asking for is a COMPANY that would be able to swap the SRT-6 automatic tranny with a manual tranny, at this point, money is not the issue, feasibility is. I just want to know if somebody out there can do something like this.
Of course it can be done. Kobe had a new Lambo changed over to an auto for his wife for some huge price so any car is feasible.

Your two statements just seem to conflict themselves:

"money is not the issue" and "these cars are being sold at decent prices".

Old 12-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by respdoc
Of course it can be done. Kobe had a new Lambo changed over to an auto for his wife for some huge price so any car is feasible.

Your two statements just seem to conflict themselves:

"money is not the issue" and "these cars are being sold at decent prices".
Respdoc, I'm sorry, but I just don't see where there's a conflict.
Doesn't a (man of means) know a bargain when he sees one?

Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Epyon, I have just contacted "Dr. Evil" transmissions, and I hope to hear from them soon!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular

While not the solution you are looking for. Personally for this platform if you want to perform a swap I would look at the 7 speed auto from the SLK55.

If you are looking for a good deal and want a stick why not look at a BMW M or a Porsche.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:24 PM

SRT6_Roadster...a good idea with the 7-speed, but I need a clutch.
The BMW & Porsche are options, but for now, I am waiting to see how much it would cost to actual perform the swap, then consider the fact that SRT-6 coupes are selling for over $10,000 under sticker.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM

Geeez, I really didn't want to start this music again...I am fully aware about these issues of Mercedes and them not having a manual tranny, etc, and I don't need someone to explain to me the pros and cons of the either types of transmissions...All I am asking for is a COMPANY that would be able to swap the SRT-6 automatic tranny with a manual tranny, at this point, money is not the issue, feasibility is. I just want to know if somebody out there can do something like this.
That's just the kind of answers you get on this forum. All the answers to everything but what you ask for. Like your really stupid for asking such a question. But look on the good side you did get an answer for what you were after. Keep plugging ignore the others your music is better.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Epyon

well, i wasn't singing that tune.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 PM

No It Was Not You. Read It Again. You Had The Answers Not A Tirade About What It Cost. When You Got Money You Want To Know Where Not Well You Get It.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROY BARBER
No It Was Not You. When You Got Money You Want To Know Where Not Well You Get It.
If this was directed at my posts, I apologize...my error was I assumed some form of common sense was also part of this equation...

Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ashonfire
Doesn't a (man of means) know a bargain when he sees one?
Best bargain out there currently has to be the new Z06 hands down...while I'm usually not a big Chevy fan the car: has numbers and performs with others costing thousands more, comes in a stick with a factory warranty along with decent looks to boot...

Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 AM

Best bargain out there currently has to be the new Z06 hands down...while I'm usually not a big Chevy fan the car: has numbers and performs with others costing thousands more, comes in a stick with a factory warranty along with decent looks to boot...
Definitely the Z06 is a bargain for it's performance, but at this point in my life, it's just too much for my wallet to handle.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Thumbs up Re: Manual Transmission Swap

I'm no math major, but when a brand new 05' SRT6 can be had for 30 large less than the base price of a new ZO6. That's a "BARGAIN" in my book. I bet Golfdude feels the same way too. I don't care that the Chevy is just a little over second faster at the drags either. For the price difference, I can live with it.
Oh, and by the way, I was serious about the "Doug Nash" suggestion. That is if they are still in business.

I just Googled "Doug Nash" they are in business. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ashonfire; 12-24-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ashonfire
I'm no math major, but when a brand new 05' SRT6 can be had for 30 large less than the base price of a new ZO6. That's a "BARGAIN" in my book. I bet Golfdude feels the same way too. I don't care that the Chevy is just a little over second faster at the drags either. For the price difference, I can live with it.
Oh, and by the way, I was serious about the "Doug Nash" suggestion. That is if they are still in business.

I just Googled "Doug Nash" they are in business. I hope this helps.
I agree, when everyone heard I was ordering a GT500, and selling my STi, they said you should buy the Z06. Ha! Easy for them to say, I can almost buy 2 GT500's for the price of the Z06. GT500 in about a years time, then srt-8 cherokee to follow in another year.

But back on to topic. I would check out the possibility of swapping a t-56 manual in it. Definitely handle the power, and it is used for so many platforms. Just a shot out there.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Good ideas from everyone. Here's an important question...What determines a transmission's ability to "fit" into a car? Also, what has to be modified in a transmission to make it compatible with a different car?

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Swap