Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

thinking of twin charging

Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of twin charging

After having an srt-6 for about a month now, i'm now looking into getting a few more ponies out of it. i know one tried and true path is to get the chip mod and get some pulleys for the supercharger. This i've heard will yield nearly 400 wrhp. The other option that I just came across is a remote based turbocharger made by STS. This turbo is easy to install and will pump out ~ 5 psi. My question to all of you is this, what would the benefits be of one path versus the other?

Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: thinking of twin charging

Let me get this straight, You want to "turbo" charge your "supercharged" engine. Now what's wrong with this picture?

Old 03-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Let me get this straight, You want to "turbo" charge your "supercharged" engine. Now what's wrong with this picture?
i don't know, tell me. supercharger would be good for bottom end, while turbo better for the top end.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM

now that i think about it i believe i saw a special on big rigs where many of the older trucks used both blowers and turbos. anyways, if anyone has insight let me know, i'm curious to see if this is possible.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody, AFAIK, makes a turbo kit for the SRT-6/SLK32. If you're just looking for a few extra ponies, then pony-up for a chip and an exhaust.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM

coony3737, sorry guy, I wasn't trying to be a smart as!, and maybe I'm the wrong person to be addressing this question since I've never had a supercharged or turbo car either.
It just seems to me that the stock supercharger puts out more psi than the 5 psi the turbo you mentioned that's all. I don't know that for a fact, but I'm sure some SRT owner will eventually chime in to set me straight soon enough. Anyway, I don't know in what combination of either form of supercharging you would be able to utilize one form over the other. Such as, mechanical supercharging on the bottom end, then turbo only on the top end.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a ton of mini's are running around twin charged.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 PM

X'ed, could you explain exactly what you mean by that, and how they're set up? As I said before, I'm not really up on that kind of mod...Thanks!

Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM

also the boost on the sts kit can be turned up via the included boost controller to i believe 15 psi. this however would be too much pressure for the stock internals to handle safely, or at least so i've heard.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM

OK, Would someone please tell me how you run a turbo charger and a mechanical supercharger on the same engine. How is the induction systems routed, etc.?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM

OK, Would someone please tell me how you run a turbo charger and a mechanical supercharger on the same engine. How is the induction systems routed, etc.?
i believe this is how it's routed: the exhaust runs through the turbo, turning the impeller, this charged air is then routed to the supercharger which forces the air into the intake, this of course then goes through the engine and back out to the exhaust.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Alright, now correct me if I am wrong, but the way I see it, if the turbo is shoving air into the the mechanical supercharger under 5psi, and the supercharger is capable of producing (let's say) 8 psi. Wouldn't the intake still only be receiving 8psi. How is the performance increased by doing that?

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-03-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm not familiar with the XF's yet. The girlfriend was looking at one so I've been watching the forum learning.

As for turbo and supercharging an engine it is not that uncommon. My boat is a diesel Volvo Penta with a turbo and supercharger. The supercharger works on the low to mid range, then at cruising speed the super charger turns off by an electronic clutch, and the turbo takes over. Not sure it would be easy to set up on an XF but it is not out of the realm of possibilities. I personally think it's a great combo, you get low end torque from the supercharger, then you get fuel efficiency/continued power on the top end with the turbo.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ that's like poetry /////////////////////

Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks Ottoguy for the explanation, as I said twice in my posts I'm not really that well informed on the procedure. Even though I understand the principle of how a turbo would work better on the high end, and the mechanical supercharger would take care of the bottom end, I wasn't sure how you would disengage the mechanical charger. But you cleared that up for me (after all, we've all see MAD MAX). Still, doesn't the turbo charged air entering the engine, do so, thru an alternative intake? I mean, if a "hair dryer" is blowing air into the same intake of a mechanical supercharger (that's not spinning) how would the "turbo charged" air ever get past the "stilled" impellers, and into the engine?

Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 PM

The SRT-6 uses a computer controlled electric clutch on the supercharger stock. At low power levels, the computer disengages the clutch just like your AC compressor. Kick it down, and instant lock up via computer control, and boost is there.

To answer the question, when the supercharger is not engaged via the clutch, air gets through either by internal passages or simply freewheeling the compressor vanes. A turbo would simply blow through with a disengaged clutch without trouble.

If you are blowing 5 PSI in, the supercharger is going to add it's additional boost on top of it. The AMG engine is already pretty strung out as far as HP per litre output, and there is some room for more. However, 13 lb of boost may be right at the limit.

STS does not produce a turbo kit any where near what you would need. You would be custom from the get go and they won't do it. You will also need supplemental ECM control, additional fuel injection, and additional intercooling capability. Not to mention all the dyno time and fabrication work.

If you want more HP, then just go with the RennTech pulley and ECM package, and slap on a better exhaust. It will be far cheaper, certainly easier, and more reliable in the long run.

But it could be done for the right amount of $$$.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 PM

I agree with Yellowbee's comments. Although rare on production vehicles, there are a number of show cars, aftermarket modifieds and Big Rigs that have both. It is especially popular in Europe and other countries where Gas is expensive. You can maximize the performance of a smaller engine and still get better gas mileage than dropping a crate motor in there.

That being said, putting a turbo and supercharger will require quite a bit of engineering. You will have a number of mechanical considerations, pressure, air flow, computer reprogramming and re-mapping. You also want to consider the additional load on the transmission and engine heat.

As YellowBee mentioned you would be much better off adding a new pulley, new CPU with a remapped performance curve, Custom Intake with Carbon Fiber intake and possibly NACA Ducted hood or custom vented hood and a Cat-back Exhaust from Greddy, Borla, HKS or whomever. This combination should give you about 100 extra horsepower... the same you'd get from adding a low-boost turbo.

Do some online searches for products and report back with the findings.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 PM

New SRT6 owner here and I'm just loving it.

Don't think this is possible. Supercharger is belt driven and turbocharger is exhaust driven. Look under the hood there's no room for the plumbing a turbo would require. Even if you found someone to do this it would cost a ton of money.

If you want more power look into a smaller upper pulley or a larger crank pulley with a new tune for the computer. I wonder what the pulley and computer setup from the SLK32 would cost? But then again isn't the SLK32 a stick? I'm new to this car and right now I don't see alot of options for it.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Monsterpost
Don't think this is possible. Look under the hood there's no room for the plumbing a turbo would require.
I agree with part of your statement, that it would cost a ton of money, but actually there is far more room under there than you think. If Startech can stuff a 6.1L HEMI under there, there is room for the plumbing.

The ECU/pulley upgrades run $3K+. The AMG SLK32 is an automatic also.

Mr MoPar

Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by YellowBee
I agree with part of your statement, that it would cost a ton of money, but actually there is far more room under there than you think. If Startech can stuff a 6.1L HEMI under there, there is room for the plumbing.

The ECU/pulley upgrades run $3K+. The AMG SLK32 is an automatic also.

Mr MoPar
Someone stuffed a 6.1 in there, wow! I stand corrected. 50 to 100 more HP would turn this car into a real screamer.

Quick Reply: thinking of twin charging