Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Favorite Glass Cleaner?

Old 03-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Glass Cleaner?

Just wondering if someone can recommend a really good glass cleaner that really won't leave streaks. On my last car I seemed to try windex, several glass cleaners including the armor all wipes, but all really did leave streaking and nasty stuff. There are so many out there, thought I'd put it to the experienced crossfire owners.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:24 PM

Sorry this sounds like a Mopar ad...

I use the mopar Glass Cleaner on my personal car, and use it on any car in for service that I need to clean glass on afterwards... Works great on my car (BMW) and I have no streaks.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Default glass cleaner

Try this. Its Formula 409 Glass and Surface cleaner. Its in a spray bottle and the liquid is purple color.
I borrowed some while visiting a friend recently. This stuff cleans better than anything I've ever use. Almost no streaks.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:57 AM

STONERS

Old 03-16-2004, 08:21 AM

I have Stoners and was wondering what do you use to wipe it on,,,not a paper towel right? I used a Microfiber cleaning towel and it seemed to work good, but I can't be sure if that is the best thing to use.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Default Re: Favorite Glass Cleaner?

Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Just wondering if someone can recommend a really good glass cleaner that really won't leave streaks. On my last car I seemed to try windex, several glass cleaners including the armor all wipes, but all really did leave streaking and nasty stuff. There are so many out there, thought I'd put it to the experienced crossfire owners.
As a newly minted Zainophile, just last night I ordered the Zaino glass cleaner. Plan to use it this weekend if it arrives in time, I'll let you know how it works.

Also ordered the leather cleaner / conditioner and tire gloss.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Default glass cleaner

Glass is a neutral, non-reactive, near-impervious surface, so no matter what you use, the process of wet-cleaning consists only of dissolving the dirt, then removing the dirty solution. Streaks in cleaned glass come from only two places: gunk on the glass that didn't get cleaned up all the way to begin with (ineffective or incomplete cleaning), or from stuff in your cleaning solution that gets left on the glass (haze/film). The more complicated a glass cleaner, the more likely it will leave crud on your glass. Save yourself money and do a better cleaning job: A light solution of ammonia in water is the purest and usually most effective glass cleaner. It is also cheaper than any commercial product. To avoid streaks, just make sure you use a completely soft, clean, absorbent cloth, and wipe it up before it dries. If you wait too long to wipe off ANY cleaner, the evaporation will leave a residue that may well streak.

Windex is just ammonia solution with fragrance and dye. Why put dye on something you want to be clear?

Sometimes you have to use stronger stuff FIRST depending on what is on your glass. Tar/bugs/oily smoke on the outside may require a first cleaning with a bug-and-tar remover, Goo-Gone (a citrus cleaner), Goof-Off, etc. On the inside, esp. if there are smokers in the car, try a citrus cleaner. Denatured alcohol (NOT thinner) is an awesome cleaner for stubborn gunk. But in either case finish up with ammonia.

If you are getting streaks you may also have a dirty rag.

if you have driven through a lot of dust, or there has been construction or a lot of dust sireld up in your area -- like say your neighbor comes out and uses his leaf blower near your X-fire -- before using any cleaner, try using a duster to get dust off. All dust incl. household dust contains minute particles of extremely hard minerals including silicates. If you start cleaning without removing dust first, you are basically using sandpaper on the surface you are cleaning. Over time this results in fine "swirl" scratches, dulling paint, topcoat, chrome, plastic lenses, and potentially even glass.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At work, where we process optical glass panels for military LCD displays, we use an industrial cleaner from a local glass shop (or try a clock shop that does the tall grandfather's, or a place like Michael's that does photo framing), and "naked" newsprint. Works well on every car I've tried it on.

And after the first rain/sleet storm after getting my X-Fire, I intend to keep a good coat of "Rain-X" on that back glass.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 PM

I just use the Windex Auto Wipes and I follow right behind them w/ a cotton towel to avoid streaks. It's quick and easy and has worked well for me. They aren't real expensive and you get 25 wipes in a resealable pack. Whatever they cost, they were a small percentage of the $120 I spent on cleaning supples for my baby! 8)

Old 05-22-2004, 03:11 PM

An article on detailing on the Edmunds site states, "If your windows are tinted, use distilled water only, as the ammonia in the Windex can 'pit' the tinting film."

Does anyone have experience with using ammonia on the tint-film side of their windows?

Old 05-22-2004, 03:20 PM

The only experience I have with using ammonia on the tinted glass is NOT TO! I have always heard that the ammonia will ruin the tint. We have lived in the desert for 20 years, tinting the glass of every vehicle we have owned and have never used ammonia. The Tint looks as good as new, no matter how long we have owned the car.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Default Excellent Glass cleaner safe for tint and...

For Glass:

For waxing wheels I use:

www.moreshine.com

A little ChrisG love.

Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 PM

I use the Stoner, too. It is great, quick and leaves no marks. I use the Shop Towels in a box to dry it off. Simple and effective.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular

I use the zaino stuff too - works way better than Windex...

-marc

Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM

Hi...

Water & vinegar mix... newspaper...
...almost no cost...

Dave...

Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Forum Regular

Only time I used ammonia was to strip all the tint off the windows of this used car I purchased.

Unless you plan on removing the tint, make sure your glass cleaner has NO Ammonia!

I have found that 90% of auto glass cleaner does the job.

The job is done better if it is not in direct sun light, you are using a clean towel, and the windows aren't over 90 degrees!