Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

What is up with my shammy?

Old 05-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is up with my shammy?

I used a shammy (sorry wrong spelling) the other day and right away I noticed it was leaving white-ish filmy crap on the car. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it? I know I could use a water blade and cotten towels but I wanted to give the shammy a shot. Thanks for any assistance...

Old 05-24-2004, 01:59 PM

nj, i've only used absorbers for my cars & boat since they came out on the market...was a faithful chamois user until then. they work IMHO better than anything i've tried and get better with age (like all of us )

bag the chamois, try an absorber (any auto or general store, aka target, etc, carry them). bonster (alabaster autostick)

Old 05-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular

Before I use the shammy I get it wet. Run it under water and ring it out a few times. Do this until the water you ring out is clear.

I use a water blade before using a damp shammy.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:29 PM

I use the California waterblade and love it. I go over the car with it and then just towel dry the little bit of water that remains. Then wipe down the interior with the damp towel. Works great for me and it's pretty quick.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback, all great ideas. Unforunately it has been threatening thunderstorms the past 2 weeks and doesn't look like it will stop. Meanwhile I do the interior and windows...but what do you guys use on the side fins, door handles, and other "chrome" parts? I have chrome polish but I've only used that on the tailpipes and wheels.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Forum Regular

Side fins / door handles are all painted plastic. Zaino or wax em

Old 05-24-2004, 08:01 PM

Muchas gracias mis amigos

Old 05-25-2004, 07:28 PM

Some chamois have some sort of treatment to preserve them. You need to wet/wring out this treatment off before you use it. Look back at the directions on the container and see if it says anything about using the chamois for the first time.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:39 AM

I no longer need my chamois as I now use Mr Clean Car Wash. My experience with Mr Clean has been positive. It dries without spots . It cost about $1.00 per wash using the product.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Default MICROFIBER

Forget teh chamos, they are okay but not great. If you happen to get some dirt or anything on that you are defintly going to scratch the paint. Buy some Mircofiber towels, they are great, U can wash ure car with them, dry it with them and they sure can hold alot of water before you wring it out, and best of all its probably the safest towel or anything to dry your car for that matter on your paint.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MICROFIBER

Originally Posted by FerrariVdub
If you happen to get some dirt or anything on that you are defintly going to scratch the paint. Buy some Mircofiber towels,
curious why you think your comment regarding getting dirt on a chamois doesn't apply to dirt getting on a Microfiber towel :?:

Old 05-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: MICROFIBER

Originally Posted by FerrariVdub
Forget teh chamos, they are okay but not great. If you happen to get some dirt or anything on that you are defintly going to scratch the paint. Buy some Mircofiber towels, they are great, U can wash ure car with them, dry it with them and they sure can hold alot of water before you wring it out, and best of all its probably the safest towel or anything to dry your car for that matter on your paint.
What makes you think that using the same rag you wash the car with to dry with will be free of dirt? Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

Chamois get frequently rinsed and rung out during the drying process. I've seen what using rags do to paint. 100% or not. Rags are designed to pick up dirt, unless you continue to rinse it off, you will be rubbing the dirt from the rag into the clearcoat.

Hell on my old car I used to take to a hand wash place. They would wash a huge bucket of rags at a time, have a pile of clean ones on the side. They would wash and dry the car by hand. I went there at least 100 times. I started to find scratches not only in the paint but the glass. The smallest piece of anything on the rag not removed from the wash would just go over the glass or paint and score it.

Now that I'm in Texas and it isn't 20 below and snowing, I wash my own car. I use a chamois. Zaino is my freind

Old 06-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: What is up with my shammy?

Originally Posted by NJxxxFIRE
I used a shammy (sorry wrong spelling) the other day and right away I noticed it was leaving white-ish filmy crap on the car. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it? I know I could use a water blade and cotten towels but I wanted to give the shammy a shot. Thanks for any assistance...
your car needs waxed.